Send my location - random location shares

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Hello all and thank you in advance. I have a friend who sent me their location via iMessage on Saturday evening. When I asked why they did it, they claimed to have no knowledge of even how to do it and claimed the phone did it on its own.

Has anyone had this happen or even heard of it happening where an iPhone just randomly sent a location via iMessage, on it's own?

I can see if it was a button within a text, but you must click Details -> Send My location and intentionally send it. I know no OS is perfect, but this seems highly unlikely and very suspicious to me! I think we all would have seen or heard of this sooner since it's been available for a while.

Thoughts?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience.

I have never heard of this. Was the chain of custody broken at all? Did anyone besides you or authorized user get to hold it for any amount of time? Did you leave it somewhere like on a restaurant table with a friend while going to the restroom?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hello and thank you for sharing your experience.

I have never heard of this. Was the chain of custody broken at all? Did anyone besides you or authorized user get to hold it for any amount of time? Did you leave it somewhere like on a restaurant table with a friend while going to the restroom?
Their friend sent it to them, not vise versa.
Hello all and thank you in advance. I have a friend who sent me their location via iMessage on Saturday evening. When I asked why they did it, they claimed to have no knowledge of even how to do it and claimed the phone did it on its own.

Has anyone had this happen or even heard of it happening where an iPhone just randomly sent a location via iMessage, on it's own?

I can see if it was a button within a text, but you must click Details -> Send My location and intentionally send it. I know no OS is perfect, but this seems highly unlikely and very suspicious to me! I think we all would have seen or heard of this sooner since it's been available for a while.

Thoughts?
Yes. My mom recieved one from my brother about a year ago. I'm almost certain one of his young kids inadvertently sent it. It's just a few steps in the Maps app. Does your friend have kids who have access to the phone?

JDem

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 19, 2011
NNJ and Central PA
Thank you to both of you for commenting. No kids involved when I got the text with the location. This person is adamant that "the phone did it" and even claimed it happened with someone else 3 days earlier. This person is not tech savvy at all which makes it even more vexing to try and explain that they must have done it, somehow. She doesn't even know why texts from some people are green while others are blue. I'd love to write it off as happenstance, but I'm having a tough time doing so.

It is not even like she could have her Apple ID shared with a family member. If that was the case, that other persons location would have been sent. I am at a loss.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, if her iOS expertise level is that low, I'm pretty sure she's sending it and not realizing it. It's even easier to accidentally send your location from the Messaging app than it is from the Maps app. It's only two steps from the Messaging app. It's just as easy as butt dialing someone.

Loquutis

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 27, 2010
Mississauga
Big Brother is watching! Or is it SkyNet. Oh surely we can all see the day when our computers rule over us.

Sanjeev

Bronze
Mar 17, 2012
How can I share my location with someone on iMessage or just message as it is a available in whatsapp? Thanks

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How can I share my location with someone on iMessage or just message as it is a available in whatsapp? Thanks
It's easy to share it through the Messaging app. Open your texting thread with the person you want to send your location to. Then click "details" in the upper right corner. Select "Send my current location" to send your current location or "Share my location" for them to be able to track your movement for a time frame you set, which could includ indefinitely.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Also be sure "Share my location" is toggled on in Settings > privacy> location services> share my location.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
You also need to have Share My Location on in Settings > Privacy > location services > scroll down to System Services > Toggle on Share My Location