Send Photos via SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvilRufusKay, Oct 29, 2007.

1. EvilRufusKay

EvilRufusKay New Member
    Bronze

Am I crazy or is the first cell phone I have had in years that cannot / will not let me send a photo to a phone number? Only emails? If you can then there must be a zoom for the camera that I am missing as well... : (

2. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

You answered your own question. No MMS on the iPhone....M:mad:

3. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

The only zoom feature is the one that happens when you move your arm towards and away from the subject of your picture.

4. shawn

shawn New Member
    Bronze

SMS: Short message service, a form of text messaging on mobile phones

MMS: Multimedia Messaging Service

Since photos are not text, you can't use SMS for photos.

There's a reason Apple has "SMS" on the SMS iPhone icon.

5. jennaftw

jennaftw New Member

how stupid is it that you can't send a simple mms message on the iPhone? even the cheapest of cheap cell phones can do that these days and here comes the revolutionary iPhone that can't.
    wtf?

this phone has proven to be a pain in the butt. lol.
    i just bought it yesterday and i'm just really disappointed with it. unfortunately to exchange it and go back to my blackberry is gonna cost me $40 so i guess i just have an iPhone that i'll have to make the best of.

6. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

I'm sure over the course of the next few months, Apple will start to roll out software upgrades to address these issues. But I agree with what you are saying. These are all very simple functions that most cell phones have had for years.

I just hope Apple isn't planning to fix all these issues in the iPhone V2 and totally forget about V1.

7. thesaint

thesaint New Member
    Bronze

Believe me, apart from the few stuffs that's missing , iPhone is just amazing. You will start to like it as you use it. I am posting this from my phone and I did this in less than 2 mins. Can you do the same using other phones?

There are advantages and disadvantages and every phone has 'em. Just live with it and enjoy your new coolest phone ever made.

8. jennaftw

jennaftw New Member

oh, goodness. i know. i'd be so mad because originally i wanted to wait until the v2 model because of all these little stupid things i was hoping would be fixed and better in the second model.
    but i accidentally put my (beloved) blackberry through the washer in a very rare stupid moment and had to buy a new phone anyway. i got my blackberry originally for a penny on amazon with a new service plan, but since i'd only had it for 6 months, i would have had to pay retail to replace it which was only about $50 cheaper than the iPhone so i figured i'd just splurge the extra and go for the iPhone since it was supposed to be so cool and everything.
    but honestly, i am so highly disappointed with it i wish i could just go back to my blackberry. but now i'd be charged a 10% restocking fee through AT&T to even be able to exchange the iPhone for my blackberry again which would totally defeat what i would save in doing so in the beginning...

jd;slkagkhdg.
    so long story short.
    i splurged early and i hope that i'm not going to get screwed over in the end like i did when i FINALLY bought my ipod photo then a month later the stupid video came out.
    i hate my luck sometimes.

haha.
    so yeah, i really hope they don't forget about the v1 when the times comes around and i'm really hoping they're going to come out with a new update that fixes all these stupid petty things.
    ergh.
    it's just frustrating.

9. Zabumafu

Zabumafu Member

I beilve the reason is they are trying to make phones use more email and mms as mms were not as widely used as emails are. Also emails are less complicated than mms and requires less features being added. Now, a majority of the new phones almost always come with email so iPhone is in a way taking a head start on trying to set an example for other phones to become more email based on sending pictures instead of mms.

Just my theory.

10. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

Tell you what, I agree the iPhone is a HUGE pain in the ass, I'll cover your 40 bucks to get your blackberry back, just send iPhone to: >insert address<

No but really if you wanna sell me that piece o crap for 40 bucks so you can get your beloved crackberry back "pm" me....I feel your pain, really!

:p

11. Indy

Indy Zealot
    Gold

LMAO! Funny thing is, I was gonna respond with this remark to a recent thread about "NO FRICKIN' ZOOM!"

:p

12. Liv

Liv New Member
    Bronze

I switched over from my blackberry too. I just got insanely tired of the blackberry in general.

Like most iPhone'rs I have a handful of complaints about the phone. It is a bummer you can only email the pictures. I do know that some phone numbers can be turned into email addresses. I vaguely remember my sprint phone number (way back when) had an @sprintblahblahblah.com attatched to it on certain messages. That may be something worth looking into.

It's also a bummer that you can't directly save images from emails to your iPhone (which I bet has been mentioned a gazillion times), so I just take the extra minute or so to take it off of Mail and put it in iPhoto to put on my phone. No biggie, I would have opened up mail at some point anyway.

All in all, the iPhone blows every phone I have ever had (and believe me, I have had every possible kind). So I plan on sticking around :)

13. benji87

benji87 New Member

I don't know if it would be possible for someone to write an app to allow this? Im sure it cant be that difficult? Although i know nothing about doing something like that. What i would like to know is, you cant send mms but can you receive it?

14. swampduck

swampduck Member
    Bronze

no, you can't receive either, you receive a SMS text telling you where you can go to see the MMS message...and that site is dog slow

15. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot
    Gold

I second and third this. The iPhone is the most amazing phone I have ever had and I have had many to include PDA phones through Sprint. The iPhone is basically a mini-laptop and has all the features that I would want (other than no cut and paste or syncing or notes).

16. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

I laugh, everytime I see a post comparing the ancient technology of RIM/Blacberry to Apple/iPhone. Apparently, those poster's don't want, or expect much out of their technology. RIM still hasn't even incorporated, the touchscreen into their Blackberry devices, not to mention the subpar web browser, and lack of full keyboard (sure type, give me a break). The only good thing that can be said (if you discount the lack of full keyboard), is the Blackberry's email capabilities. Sure the iPhone is missing some vital, basic features, but to compare it to a Blackberry, is like comparing a 13" B&W analog television, to a 46" Flat Screen Plasma television or a Hyundai to a Masarati...M

17. EvilRufusKay

EvilRufusKay New Member
    Bronze

Interesting... i didn't expect to get a huge debate going over my off the cuff post. My take is the phone is: super cool device and I love it. Like most devices however, it lacks some things that I would like to have available to me.

The MMS issue is not that big of a deal, however, the lack of a zoom function is. Am I supposed to be grateful that Apple was kind enough to even give me a camera included in my 400 dollar phone? I am sure that they are looking out for my best interests in regard to not having vidoe capture ability as well right... because the phone and Apple are just soo awesome?

18. Mangoiphone

Mangoiphone New Member

I feel the gradual substitution of MMS for email is similar to the elimination of floppy discs. It was hard to believe that we would have to burn info on a CD but now, even that is being changed. It's called technology! iPhone is not targeted at the occasional user. It is targeted at the professional. Professionals don't go around sending pictures of the latest concert or Britney's sightings. We use email. iPhone is really not for everyone.

If you don;t like your phone, I will gladly pay you $200 for it. That ought to more than cover the difference. I really mean it. Leave me a message if you are interested.

19. Swagger

Swagger New Member
    Gold

Sir, first of all. I am not an Apple Fanboy. The camera on any phone is an "after thought". The camera function is only to relay a low quality photo, to the person you are explaining something to, on the phone. The feature also comes in handy for contact photo's or when you have left your " Real" camera behind. I wil not give you the standard answer of the Apple Fanboys, being well, you should have bought something else. You are a grown man, you buy what you want, who am I to tell you what you should, and should not buy. I will suggest this to you though, if you are looking for quality photos, don't look to ANY cell phone to provide them for you. You might want to think about investing in a real camera (like a Nikon, only camera I shoot with), to fulfill your photography needs. People not just in this forum complain all the time about their cellphone camera. The camera is only for use in a pinch, not to photograph your daughter's wedding, your vacation or your first grandchild... M

20. EvilRufusKay

EvilRufusKay New Member
    Bronze

Man you guys take this waaaaay to seriously. Yes I have a good camera, but even my cheap digital camera has a zoom. My Samsung phone has a 3.2 mega pixal camera, (with a zoom) video capture etc.... As I said I love my phone so stop asking if I want to sell it... sure for the 400 I paid for it. In addition, it is hard to use a photo to desecribe something if it is only a tiny portion of the picture... you cant always walk up 2 feet away from something to snap a pic. Personally I don't mind looking at pictures of Britanny.. and no I am not a teenager.

Fianlly, my post was not intended to cry, complain, or start a debate.... but please, by all means, if no one has anything better to do, keep the bashing going. I personally resign from this thread...