sending email and getting a copy of it as a RE: right away..

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRR stupid gmail! it has to be some default setting that we are all overlooking. *puts on thinking cap*

mp78

Jun 27, 2007
yes this is getting annoying now...i love the "sent from my iPhone sig" but getting a RE: everytime just plain sucks. gmail settings are right too...maybe just gonna have to stick with .mac for everything because it does get annoying.

i will be troubleshooting today as my girlfriend starts to hate me more with this thing haha!

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Been trying to find a solution too in some other places. I believe the problem is caused by Gmail and how it stores your emails in your inbox on their server. Whenever you get a reply you will notice that your sent email is in with that reply and so on. So your phone thinks that email is new and downloads it, causing you to get all your sent mail. Pretty annoying.

EDIT: By the way this happens on all 'smart' phones. It's not just an iPhone thing.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
From google mail help:

Why does my 'Sent Mail' get downloaded to my POP inbox?

When you enable POP, all messages are downloaded to your client, except for Spam, Trash, and Chats. If you don't want messages that you send from the web interface downloaded to your mail client's inbox, we suggest creating a filter within your client.

This is working for me. No more cc of sent mail in my inbox.

So make a filter if "from: = me" then "skip then inbox and archive".

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
From google mail help:

When you enable POP, all messages are downloaded to your client, except for Spam, Trash, and Chats. If you don't want messages that you send from the web interface downloaded to your mail client's inbox, we suggest creating a filter within your client.

I was going to do this, but I tend to send myself a lot of emails. So I have to live with one or the other I guess.

chrisaka

Jul 1, 2007
Just make your gmail filter From: your@email.com To: -your@email.com, skip inbox.

This will allow emails you send to yourself to still hit the inbox. Regardless, this won't work for what you're trying to do with it, as the iPhone Mail app won't do filters yet.

Chris

mp78

Jun 27, 2007
From google mail help:

maybe its too early but im not following you...i follow up to from then me....can u explain in moron langauge

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
I actually made a filter in my gmail account to delete mail from me and it worked, rather than making a filter in my mail app.

So I set from="me" then delete it. I was hoping to have a workaround for the self sent emails by doing me, since my emails from my phone are under my name. Gmail still reads them as me though.