Sensor issues during calls

hitnrun

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
Northern California
Has anyone noticed that the sensor that tells the phone when your holding it up to your ear is extremely sensitive? I mean, NEVER before have I cheek dialed, hit the mute with my ear lobe, or hung up on someone inadvertently. However, 3 times in one call last night and twice today I hung up on people, all inside of a three minute call. I have NOT changed the way I hold my phone when talking by the way. I also hit the mute button several times and pulled up the keypad and dialed some numbers while on the call. I actually told my buddy to stop pushing buttons because I thought it was him...NOPE! All me.

Anyone else noticing this super sensitivity?

I am also rocking the black Apple bumper. It is kinda soft and smooth. VVVVEEERRYY low profile and precise fit. It provides basic protection from scratches to the glass from sliding, due to it being raised, but that's about it. Maybe some impact protection on the corners too. Just FYI. Not bad though, the buttons work well with it.

duvalkid

Bronze
Oct 2, 2008
904 Jacksonville FL
Has anyone noticed that the sensor that tells the phone when your holding it up to your ear is extremely sensitive? I mean, NEVER before have I cheek dialed, hit the mute with my ear lobe, or hung up on someone inadvertently. However, 3 times in one call last night and twice today I hung up on people, all inside of a three minute call. I have NOT changed the way I hold my phone when talking by the way. I also hit the mute button several times and pulled up the keypad and dialed some numbers while on the call. I actually told my buddy to stop pushing buttons because I thought it was him...NOPE! All me.

Anyone else noticing this super sensitivity?
i noticed it too, i was on a 2 min call and my ear kept hitting the facetime button

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
Yeah there has been a couple times when I hit the mute button with my cheek and thought I was dropping calls. I was relieved that it was just the mute button and not dropping calls though.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
Is Anyone Else's Proximity Sensor Acting Funny?

They moved it from the 3GS and it's not acting right. It's sensing my ear and mashing the dial pad while in a conversation. You really have to press it against your ear.

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
They should have put it opposite of the camera.

On a side note. can one of the mods please merge this with the previous thread that someone opened on this issue. My EiC app wasn't working and i didn't see it flipping through pages.

ckpatel24

Apr 20, 2010
when the phone goes black while up to my face. and then when i pull it away from my phone while still on the call it should light up so i can navigate through the phone but it doesn't do this. it stays black.

michael.kozuma

Bronze
Jun 16, 2009
Easy fix, hold your phone away from your head a little. I uses to press my phone against my ear but after oil smudges on my screen and accidental hold button pushes on my 2g, I stopped. Like jobs says, "just hold it different".

Eninety2

Silver
Jul 22, 2008
Easy fix, hold your phone away from your head a little. I uses to press my phone against my ear but after oil smudges on my screen and accidental hold button pushes on my 2g, I stopped. Like jobs says, "just hold it different".
I'm sorry, but levitating my phone in mid air while on a call is not an option for me. I do that when im in the shower and someone calls.

And i really don't think it has to do as much with the new placement of the sensor as much as the phone is now narrower. It changes the way you hold it up and where it sits during a call.

Kristine

Bronze
Nov 7, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Phone disconnects when pressed against cheek

I read about this somewhere but can't remember where... When I rest the phone on my cheek I have cut people off or activated things on the touch screen. Any way to make the surface less sensitive?