Sensor issues during calls

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hitnrun, Jun 24, 2010.

1. hitnrun

hitnrun Member
    Bronze

Has anyone noticed that the sensor that tells the phone when your holding it up to your ear is extremely sensitive? I mean, NEVER before have I cheek dialed, hit the mute with my ear lobe, or hung up on someone inadvertently. However, 3 times in one call last night and twice today I hung up on people, all inside of a three minute call. I have NOT changed the way I hold my phone when talking by the way. I also hit the mute button several times and pulled up the keypad and dialed some numbers while on the call. I actually told my buddy to stop pushing buttons because I thought it was him...NOPE! All me.

Anyone else noticing this super sensitivity?

I am also rocking the black Apple bumper. It is kinda soft and smooth. VVVVEEERRYY low profile and precise fit. It provides basic protection from scratches to the glass from sliding, due to it being raised, but that's about it. Maybe some impact protection on the corners too. Just FYI. Not bad though, the buttons work well with it.

2. duvalkid

duvalkid Member
    Bronze

i noticed it too, i was on a 2 min call and my ear kept hitting the facetime button

3. IceCold357

IceCold357 Contributor
    Silver

Yeah there has been a couple times when I hit the mute button with my cheek and thought I was dropping calls. I was relieved that it was just the mute button and not dropping calls though.

4. Deke736

Deke736 Member
    Bronze

I noticed this as well. My first call I hung up on my father-in-law, and my second call I hit the speaker button with my cheek. I thought it was just me.

5. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

Is Anyone Else's Proximity Sensor Acting Funny?

They moved it from the 3GS and it's not acting right. It's sensing my ear and mashing the dial pad while in a conversation. You really have to press it against your ear.

6. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

I have hung up on people 3 times already while holding the phone to my ear with my shoulder (hands full).

7. jsntrenkler

jsntrenkler Zealot
    Silver

I have noticed that it is more sensitive as well.

8. hitnrun

hitnrun Member
    Bronze

Just glad to know that I am not crazy...or an idiot...well not completely anyways.

9. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

They should have put it opposite of the camera.

On a side note. can one of the mods please merge this with the previous thread that someone opened on this issue. My EiC app wasn't working and i didn't see it flipping through pages.

10. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

I noticed it once today and I was hoping it was a fluke. Guess not. Damn.

11. GSXRMike

GSXRMike Member
    Silver

I've noticed it, too. Don't they field test **** like this or are they too busy getting drunk and leaving their phones in bars...

12. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

A thread already exists on this subject. Merging.

13. imotionb18

imotionb18 Member
    Bronze

Yeah I keep hitting the hold button when I'm on calls. Pretty annoying.

14. ckpatel24

ckpatel24 New Member

when the phone goes black while up to my face. and then when i pull it away from my phone while still on the call it should light up so i can navigate through the phone but it doesn't do this. it stays black.

15. michael.kozuma

michael.kozuma New Member
    Bronze

Easy fix, hold your phone away from your head a little. I uses to press my phone against my ear but after oil smudges on my screen and accidental hold button pushes on my 2g, I stopped. Like jobs says, "just hold it different".

16. michael.kozuma

michael.kozuma New Member
    Bronze

Tap your screen. Were you in a dark area when this happened?

17. Eninety2

Eninety2 Member
    Silver

I'm sorry, but levitating my phone in mid air while on a call is not an option for me. I do that when im in the shower and someone calls.

And i really don't think it has to do as much with the new placement of the sensor as much as the phone is now narrower. It changes the way you hold it up and where it sits during a call.

18. ckpatel24

ckpatel24 New Member

No not in dark. I tried tapping screen.

19. lewis26

lewis26 New Member
    Silver

20. Kristine

Kristine Member
    Bronze

Phone disconnects when pressed against cheek

I read about this somewhere but can't remember where... When I rest the phone on my cheek I have cut people off or activated things on the touch screen. Any way to make the surface less sensitive?