Separate passcode lock for SMS?

1. BexRose New Member

Does anyone know of a good app that allows you to lock your text messages separately from the main iPhone passcode screen lock?

(I am not interested in the apps I've found that: encrypt your text into some kind of code, or ones that require some special password sent between u and the person you're texting, or invisible texts that can only be viewed in the app itself.) simply just like the screen lock but for the SMS messages only.

I know it sounds like extra, unnecessary work on my part but sometimes my bf will ask to borrow my phone to make a call or play a game on my phone and rather than being paranoid the whole time while he's on it, it would be nice to know that I can leave the room or not feel anxiety every second he's on it. (I know what you're all thinking... No I'm not cheating on him, but he is rather nosey about my personal businesss related to other things) so an app like this would benefit me greatly!

2. Ltzguy Zealot Gold

yes, sounds like your a trustworthy person. If your not doing anything wrong, you should have nothing to hide.

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Lon Evangelist Gold

There are apps that do this if you are jailbroken. But I am not aware of any if you are not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

It's disappointing to see judgmental posts like this one gettings 'likes' here. I wish we had a downvote system.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

Your best bet is the stock passcode lock. But keep in mind that nothing can stop people from reading your texts if they have access to the device (maybe while you're sleeping). All you have to do is connect it to a computer with a program such as DiskAid installed. It can be stock or jailbroken and locked with a passcode, yet the texts will still be viewable on the computer.

BiteSMS has a feature to lock texts, but they can still be viewed from the stock messaging app (even if you hide the app), so it's a worthless feature.

Another option is to use an app like Tiger Texts with self-destructing messages.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rumdada New Member

yes your doing something shady ctfu without a jailbroken iPhone your screwed. Once you jailbreak your iPhone you can download and istall iBlacklist which you help you out it also filters calls as well as texts

8. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

iBlacklist blocks calls and texts. You can hide the incoming texts this way, but I don't think it allows you to hide your replies so I don't think it would be very valuable unless it's a one-way conversation you're trying to hide.

9. IllusionEntity Evangelist Gold

If you're jailbroken, lockdown pro is a great app. You can lock any/ all apps with one pass code for all or individual passcodes

10. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

It won't stop them from viewing the texts on a computer, though.

11. IllusionEntity Evangelist Gold

The OP requested an app that stops her boyfriend reading her texts when she leaves the room. I doubt he will have time to boot a computer and load all the programmes to read her texts on a computer. I doubt if he even knows its possible. I sure didn't.

12. BexRose New Member

Ha I've never written a post on here and it's weird reading responses about yourself! Anyways, the lockdown pro is exactly what I wish I had but my phone isn't jailbroken.

13. Kgd0630 Contributor Bronze

Jailbreak is fast and easy. But, is it worth having to use the pass code yourself, just to keep him out of the SMS?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

14. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

True. However, I just like to make people aware of how easy it is to read them on a computer so they don't develop a false sense of security. I don't think Lockdown Pro or Locktopus were updated for iOS 5, But Lock Messages or one of several other new ones would suit her needs if her phone was jailbroken. Of course, her boyfriend would then find out she didn't want him looking at them and might get more suspicious and resort to the method I mentioned earlier.

15. Ltzguy Zealot Gold

If my wife had a password on her texts, and she did not either open the texts or give me the password, I would no doubt think she is up to no good. With that being said, either you should stop doing whatever your doing that you don't want him to know about, leave him alone and let him find someone more trustworthy. Or you could always just delete the stuff after you read or look at it. I suggest just stop being deceiving. My .02

Think of it this way: what if were doing the same to you? Would you be ok with it?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  16. Lon Evangelist Gold

Also, someone on here recommended AppLock from Cydia, and it is working for me.

17. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

And I suggest that you stop being judgmental. She has the right to her privacy and it's not your concern. She asked for a solution to the problem, not a lecture based on your morals and assumptions. Thanks.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Ltzguy Zealot Gold

yes well maybe I'm trying to make her realize she isn't doing the right thing. Lecture? Not hardly. Making her realize that if the shoe was on the other foot, she may not like it. Sometimes it takes someone to point out how you'd feel if someone else was doing it to you. That's what's wrong with this world today, people taking up for other people with bad intention. So whatever

19. Europa Genius Senior Moderator

How do you know she wouldn't like it? You have no reason to think she snoops through her boyfriend's texts or would have a problem with him using one of these apps as well. Maybe she's just a private person. My point is that you're assuming she's doing something wrong and displaying your disapproval when your opinion of her actions was not asked for. I think that's pretty rude and it probably has a tendency to drive new members away.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Apple iAddicted Contributor Bronze

i wanna know how to do this, can i save my texts to the computer too?
    Does it need to be a Mac or can a PC with Win7 do it too, keep in mind my poor old laptop barly runs iTunes properly lol I gotta upgrade

21. Rugaby Genius Gold

+1

If we voiced our opinion about everyone on here it would be a d bag world war.
    Even if she is doing something shady I am certain it is none of our jobs to judge her.

• Like Like x 3