Separate Wallpapers for Lockscreen & App Screen?

skertes

Jul 14, 2008
Now that Winterboard has been updated to really open up the iPhone 3G to a lot more customization, I'd like to know if it is possible for me to have one wallpaper on my lock screen, and a different one for the background of my app screens. If so, how does one do this? If not, will this be something that a future version of Winterboard will make possible? Much thanks from a newbie!

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Winterboard allows you to change the wallpaper in the icon screen to whatever theme you choose. The theme wallpaper will not affect your lock screen wallpaper.

skertes

Jul 14, 2008
Winterboard allows you to change the wallpaper in the icon screen to whatever theme you choose. The theme wallpaper will not affect your lock screen wallpaper.
I know that.....I don't want to use the wallpaper from the themes..... I want to use my own wallpaper on the icon screen, and a DIFFERENT wallpaper on my lock screen. I know that Winterboard gives me the ability to make my lock screen wallpaper also be my icon wallpaper, but they are both the same picture. I am wondering if there is a way to control both, independent of each other.

I know that.....I don't want to use the wallpaper from the themes..... I want to use my own wallpaper on the icon screen, and a DIFFERENT wallpaper on my lock screen. I know that Winterboard gives me the ability to make my lock screen wallpaper also be my icon wallpaper, but they are both the same picture. I am wondering if there is a way to control both, independent of each other.
you can change your wallpaper to one of your preference by using open ssh

skertes

Jul 14, 2008
you can change your wallpaper to one of your preference by using open ssh
I figured that was going to be the answer..... but I am wondering if this is something that perhaps a future enhancement of Winterboard can/will cover.

Aug 2, 2008
wallpaper

if you want the same wallpaper on the springboard as the lock screen follow these steps.

open winterboard
press the "User Wallpaper" button (should get a check mark)
press the 3 grey bars and move it above the name of you theme (it should be the first on)
exit winterboard, after winterboard restarts your wallpapers should now match.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I figured that was going to be the answer..... but I am wondering if this is something that perhaps a future enhancement of Winterboard can/will cover.
Probably not. If you're going to jailbreak, you need to have some knowledge of computer and you need to know how SSH works. This won't change.

skertes

Jul 14, 2008
if you want the same wallpaper on the springboard as the lock screen follow these steps.

open winterboard
press the "User Wallpaper" button (should get a check mark)
press the 3 grey bars and move it above the name of you theme (it should be the first on)
exit winterboard, after winterboard restarts your wallpapers should now match.
Thank you. I already know this. I DON'T want the same wallpaper on the springboard as on the lock screen, and I DON'T want to use the wallpaper contained within my chosen theme.... I want to be able to set the springboard and the lockscreen to two completely different, independently controlled wallpapers. I know now that this can be done by going into the phone through openSSH, but the purpose of my post is to find out if anyone knows whether this type of function can/will be built into a future release of Winterboard. It sure would be a lot easier to change wallpapers on the fly versus the openSSH method.

skertes

Jul 14, 2008
Probably not. If you're going to jailbreak, you need to have some knowledge of computer and you need to know how SSH works. This won't change.
You do not have to know anything about SSH to jailbreak. One has nothing to do with the other.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
If you use say a theme that has wp you can swap your wp on only the lock screen
like original unbroken style. you can then swap your wp to what you like then by rearrainging the order in winterboard user wallpaper or lock background. If you find the correct order it will not change the wp behind the icons that you selected..
I hope that made sense.

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
I cant figure out the right combo right now - but when I was fooling with it before it saved the wp in the theme and I was able to change the lock screen wp different.

Mar 31, 2009
Hi @skertes !
did you find a way to do this without ssh?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Why do folks use openssh.

I compared it to iPhone browser and that seems easier to me

Seems I need to be in front of the PC anyway.

What am I missing?

Mar 31, 2009
You right @Chex !
I also use iPhone Browser because it's easier.
But when i want to change the lock screen i replace the lockscreen.png for another image.
I know that these also can be done using themes from winterboard. Creating previusly the proper folders with different lockscreen.png in it.

i'm looking a way to do this from the phone directly without the phone browser.

Like the way that you change the wallpaper selecting from the images.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I thought it's better to do this than open a new one. Well I just found out how to OpenSSH now. I just don't know how to separate the two now. Can someone please help?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can continue to set the lockscreen wallpaper the same way you do on a stock phone. To change the SB wallpaper, add the file to Library > Themes > Your Theme. It must be named Wallpaper.png and then respring.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
You can continue to set the lockscreen wallpaper the same way you do on a stock phone. To change the SB wallpaper, add the file to Library > Themes > Your Theme. It must be named Wallpaper.png and then respring.
Errr... I don't really understand sorry (I'm a total tool when it comes to this stuff) :(

Here's my situation:

I want to have one wallpaper on my lockscreen, and a different wallpaper on my springboard without having to use a theme.

P.S I don't have a themes folder under library.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Bump! Can someone please help out? I've been searching everywhere! All i've come across is people asking the question and people saying OpenSSH. What do I do?

thealiencow

Bronze
Sep 14, 2008
The important part that was left out of those instructions was Winterboard. So to be extra clear:

1. Jailbreak
2. Install Winterboard
3. Navigate to /Library/Themes (Winterboard installation will create this link)
4. Create a new folder to contain your theme, name it whatever you want
5. Name your Springboard image "Wallpaper.png" and place it in your new folder
6. Name your Lockscreen image "LockBackground.png" and place it in the same folder
7. Start Winterboard
8. Find your theme in the list and tap it to activate
9. (Optional) Drag your theme to the top of the list by dragging the three horizontal bars. This prevents any other themes from overriding your wallpaper.