September release?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Now that you mention the spontaneously disconnecting and reconnecting reminds me of the other problem my hubby had. His iPhone would cut off sporadically while in use. That really pissed him off. After the rebooting was done regularly it stopped.

We don't use bluetooth. Good to know what the problems are. Hopefully they will be fixed in the iPhone 5.

noit

Sep 21, 2010
Northampton, PA
Fwiw. I've been told by a few Apple genius' that they've seen a few people not being able to make phone calls because they had so many apps open. While they aren't "running" they still use up system memory in the suspended state, which can cause issues. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
I stood in line for my 3G, Ordered and picked up at store for my 3GS......and ordered and shipped to my house for iPhone 4..........i will order again online........it took awhile as I was trying at 2AM CST and finally got it ordered by 3:30 AM CST..............

getting excited...........can't wait

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Fwiw. I've been told by a few Apple genius' that they've seen a few people not being able to make phone calls because they had so many apps open. While they aren't "running" they still use up system memory in the suspended state, which can cause issues. Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
I've heard this too. Some say it takes up memory, some say its not supposed to and doesn't. All I know is since we fixed this problem with the Multi Tasking and the rebooting at least once a day or every other day, my hubby's phone has been acting much better.

I do think there is some truth to the Multi Tasking doing something on your phone. I mean some of the apps once they're in the Multi Tasking tray they take you right back to where you were before you left. That's got to mean something is still running although slightly.

My hubby had rows and rows of Apps in Multi Tasking it was stupid.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It is more accurately referred to as a Task Switcher. Most of them aren't running or tying up memory. They are either frozen or completely closed. They still show up there so you can quickly switch apps.

I like to be able to see what's frozen and what's completely closed. You can do this with an app called Switcher Mod if you jailbreak. The two apps (in my screenshot below) on the left are frozen and the two on the right are completely closed. You can tell because the two on the right are subdued. I wish this was a stock feature. I think fewer people would worry about these apps draining the battery and decreasing free memory if it was.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Ahh, Thanks Europa. Now this makes it clear. Too bad Apple doesn't have this feature in the Task Switcher. LOL @ Multi Tasking Tray. :confused:

Maybe one day Apple will make it so we can see what is frozen and what is open in our Task Switcher. I won't hold my breath though.

noit

Sep 21, 2010
Northampton, PA
It is more accurately referred to as a Task Switcher. Most of them aren't running or tying up memory. They are either frozen or completely closed. They still show up there so you can quickly switch apps.

I like to be able to see what's frozen and what's completely closed. You can do this with an app called Switcher Mod if you jailbreak. The two apps (in my screenshot below) on the left are frozen and the two on the right are completely closed. You can tell because the two on the right are subdued. I wish this was a stock feature. I think fewer people would worry about these apps draining the battery and decreasing free memory if it was...
Thanks for the info. Found it very interesting! That's why I come here, to learn something new and cool about my favorite phone to date!

Noit

chazm

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2008
Next iPhone goes on sale Oct. 7, Retina Display iPad won’t arrive until next Spring?

According to TiPb, the next version of the iPhone will go on sale in the United States on Friday, October 7th. The report is leaning towards this upgrade being a “4S” type of upgrade, with a faster chip and better cameras, but it’s very possible that this iPhone 4S is the cheaper phone. Apple is likely working on two new iPhones for a fall launch, so it’s very possible that we will see an iPhone 4S and an iPhone 5. TiPb also says that although a Retina Display iPad has been heavily rumored for a fall debut, consumers won’t see such product until Spring 2012.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/12/next-...c-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Yeah, I read this last week. 9to5 Mac is an excellent source!

When people kept talking about a new iPad 3 this fall I thought it was a little presumptuous. And if true, Apple should slow it's roll! iPad 3, just the idea of it is waaay better than other tablets and I don't think they have to rush it. MHO.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Meanwhile bgr is saying Sept 12 launch ?
The Rumors are running rampant! It's crazy! Everyone's all over the place! See, that's what Apple has done to us all with the absence of the iPhone 5 this summer. We are all running around like a tech chicken with it's home button plucked off. Where do we go? What do we do? How can we go on without you guiding us in the correct direction Jobsy!? :confused:

Rumors are just out of control! (n)

Double KLM

Bronze
Aug 16, 2011
I'm looking forward to the iPhone5 launch, regardless of whether its September or October. I work in the wireless infrastructure businesss, selling networks to mobile operators. More specifically, I work with handset OEM's, making sure their phones work on our infrastructure, typically a requirement prior to an operator even considering putting a phone on their commercial networks.

Most OEM's Samsung, Motorola, & LGE, under NDA, provide you with detailed roadmap information about future phones and when they'd be able to perform IOT testing with you. Apple, even though I do speak with them fairly regularly, doesn't share any future plans with anyone, period! Because of that, I'm not even in the know on whether or not we'll see a Sept or October launch of this iPhone5. I'm sure it's worth waiting for. I will assume, like several others, this phone will only be 3G, which is fine. If you're holding out for a 4G iPhone, my guess is you'll have to wait until sometime in early 2012!

Double KLM

For more info on this topic: http://doubleklm-datadevices.blogspot.com/2011/08/whats-your-thoughts-on-upcoming-iphone5.html

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I'm looking forward to the iPhone5 launch, regardless of whether its September or October. I work in the wireless infrastructure businesss, selling networks to mobile operators. More specifically, I work with handset OEM's, making sure their phones work on our infrastructure, typically a requirement prior to an operator even considering putting a phone on their commercial networks.

Most OEM's Samsung, Motorola, & LGE, under NDA, provide you with detailed roadmap information about future phones and when they'd be able to perform IOT testing with you. Apple, even though I do speak with them fairly regularly, doesn't share any future plans with anyone, period! Because of that, I'm not even in the know on whether or not we'll see a Sept or October launch of this iPhone5. I'm sure it's worth waiting for. I will assume, like several others, this phone will only be 3G, which is fine. If you're holding out for a 4G iPhone, my guess is you'll have to wait until sometime in early 2012!

Double KLM

For more info on this topic: http://doubleklm-datadevices.blogspot.com/2011/08/whats-your-thoughts-on-upcoming-iphone5.html
Yes, I agree. A 4G iPhone is well in the future. I don't want Apple to rush the technology. I would much prefer that Apple do it right and get the 4G phone out when 4G is world widely or at least USA widely deployed. Why rush it for such a limited market right now? 4G is a sales gimmick now. Yeah, yeah some markets have it and some carriers have it, but its not quite ready for prime time. IMHO Just like the turkey in the oven, when it's ready the tab will pop and then we can eat.

Double KLM

Bronze
Aug 16, 2011
Yes, I agree. A 4G iPhone is well in the future. I don't want Apple to rush the technology. I would much prefer that Apple do it right and get the 4G phone out when 4G is world widely or at least USA widely deployed. Why rush it for such a limited market right now? 4G is a sales gimmick now. Yeah, yeah some markets have it and some carriers have it, but its not quite ready for prime time. IMHO Just like the turkey in the oven, when it's ready the tab will pop and then we can eat.
And we need to be careful when we say some operators already have 4G. To be really technical about it, only Sprint with their WiMax and VZW with LTE can truly claim they have 4G networks. I know AT&T and Tmobile claim they have 4G, since they call hspdpa+ 4G, but I really think that's stretches things abit. Yes, standards say they can call hsdpa+ a 4G technology, but I could stretch that definition "improvements on 3G" to state EVDO RevA is 4G since its an improvement on EVDO Rev 0. Not even I would do that and I work in EVDO.

I don't think rushing the technology would be an issue as any 4G phones today needs to be backward compatible to 3G until we truly see nationwide 4G coverage. Besides that, why wouldn't Apple put out another 3G phone this fall to churn users only to churn them once again in 2012 as everyone will want a 4G version of the iPhone. Their strategy of 6 month new phone announcements doesn't seem to stop users from constantly upgrading to their latest models, even if they have to pay more money for the new phone!

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
And we need to be careful when we say some operators already have 4G. To be really technical about it, only Sprint with their WiMax and VZW with LTE can truly claim they have 4G networks. I know AT&T and Tmobile claim they have 4G, since they call hspdpa+ 4G, but I really think that's stretches things abit. Yes, standards say they can call hsdpa+ a 4G technology, but I could stretch that definition "improvements on 3G" to state EVDO RevA is 4G since its an improvement on EVDO Rev 0. Not even I would do that and I work in EVDO.

I don't think rushing the technology would be an issue as any 4G phones today needs to be backward compatible to 3G until we truly see nationwide 4G coverage. Besides that, why wouldn't Apple put out another 3G phone this fall to churn users only to churn them once again in 2012 as everyone will want a 4G version of the iPhone. Their strategy of 6 month new phone announcements doesn't seem to stop users from constantly upgrading to their latest models, even if they have to pay more money for the new phone!
Actually neither sprints wimax or vzw lte are really 4G the speeds reached are not 4G. Then to be even more technical the governing body for this has said the hspa+ is now technically 4G being that the same speeds can be achieved as early stage LTE

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Actually neither sprints wimax or vzw lte are really 4G the speeds reached are not 4G. Then to be even more technical the governing body for this has said the hspa+ is now technically 4G being that the same speeds can be achieved as early stage LTE
I was just diagnosed with early stage LTE. I'm so distraught.

Arcangel2176

Silver
Jul 24, 2007
Well its now looking like Sept 30 preorders and October 7th in stores

Double KLM

Bronze
Aug 16, 2011
What speeds are you seeing with LTE? I don't know much about Sprint's WiMAX but in dealing with VZW for many years, they are very conservative when it comes to what downlink speeds they advertise. On the VZW commercial LTE network, I've experienced up to 25Mb/DL speeds on one device. I know in early field tests we've achieved a lot more than that. Granted, the network is pretty empty at this point. Not sure what VZW is advertising these days, but my guess is somewhere on the 10-12 Mb/DL range. Heck, we can achieve those speeds with EVDO RevB. Who needs 4G in that case? Ok, I know, that's blasphemy, but.....