series 5 or 7 from any kind of identification number on box?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jun 30, 2007
So there’s no way to tell what series screen your iPhone is going to have right?
I want one with a series 5 LCD
How do I tell when my iPhone was built, like what week, I thought I read somewhere that it’s part of the serial number or something
Or you know how you can type your macbook or macbook pro’s serial number into a small application written by someone, and it’s able to tell you when and where your laptop was built, is there anything like that for the iPhone?

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
So there’s no way to tell what series screen your iPhone is going to have right?
How do I tell when my iPhone was built, like what week, I thought I read somewhere that it’s part of the serial number or something
Or you know how you can type your macbook or macbook pro’s serial number into a small application written by someone, and it’s able to tell you when and where your laptop was built, is there anything like that for the iPhone?
"You need to put the iPhone into field test mode. Type *3001#12345#* into the number pad of the phone and press call. Then select versions."

I'm quoting somebody, I think.

Platinum

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
I have learned from numerous places (including the Apple store) that both 5*** and 7*** series are still being produced, so it doesn't really matter when it was built - there is still a chance of getting either. As for telling which box has which series LCD, the only way is to turn it on and look at the screen or use the code.

mceis

Jul 9, 2007
Trial and error is the only way my friend. I had a 5 and a 7, both were manufactured in the same week at the same plant. There is no correlation with the serial number.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Really, don't guess and enter the above number, stars and all, in the iPhone you want to test. Send. You'll get a screen that that "field test" that gives you all kinds of info on the network, cell, GPRS, etc... The last choice is "Versions". It will give you a number for your LCD Panel ID. The first number (5 or 7) will give you the series.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
"You need to put the iPhone into field test mode. Type *3001#12345#* into the number pad of the phone and press call. Then select versions."

I'm quoting somebody, I think.
Can you punch this code in without activation?

The only reason I ask is because, I guess you could just tell them you're about to spend $600 on this phone and I want to make sure I get the screen that I want, thereforee I need to punch this number into all of your units until I find the one I need.

Lol, now that I typed that out, it sounds ridiculous! Whew, time for bed.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
but one thing for sure i got a series 6 uhh... but im good because the screen actually looks better then both of them from what ive seen.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Can you punch this code in without activation?

The only reason I ask is because, I guess you could just tell them you're about to spend $600 on this phone and I want to make sure I get the screen that I want, thereforee I need to punch this number into all of your units until I find the one I need.

Lol, now that I typed that out, it sounds ridiculous! Whew, time for bed.
I once went to my local Apple store and installed a not-so-legally made Star Wars III screen saver on all their display computers (about 12 of them).
If I can do that, you can check a few iPhone units.

jeepshots

Bronze
Jul 10, 2007
Trial and error is the only way my friend. I had a 5 and a 7, both were manufactured in the same week at the same plant. There is no correlation with the serial number.
So which one is desired? I did the code and see a series 5 panel ID...

ahaxton

Aug 5, 2007
I went to get a new iPhone yesterday, and it was also a 7 screen as my first one I bought at another store. There was a guy who had an iPhone too and I found out his was a 5. I didn't mention it, but I liked mine better than the 5. Something just seemed different.

j2chulo

Aug 25, 2007
*runs*

Search and you will find enough reading for a few weeks :eek:
*runs* what do you mean by that? i try search the forum for lcd and nothing comes on. if anybody know whats the difference just post it here. i guest my its a series 5 because it start with a 5. 575.....

eufo

Bronze
Aug 22, 2007
Miami
There was some article about the panels starting with 5 looking better than the ones starting with 7.

Mine starts with 5 and my buddy's starts with 7. They both look awesome. Neither is dark or fuzzy.

The only difference we could see is that you can see the LCD grid a little more in his and there is a slight color/hue difference (mine slightly more blue, his slightly more red). But these differences could only be seen if they were side by side.

The whole thing is a joke.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
how do you tell when your iPhone was built?
what part of what number is it on the back of the box?
I'm afraid it's not ON the box, but IN the box. You got to get them to open the box for you and check the phone itself.

but there is nothing on it that will tell you what LCD# is inside.

Last edited by a moderator:

j2chulo

Aug 25, 2007
There was some article about the panels starting with 5 looking better than the ones starting with 7.

Mine starts with 5 and my buddy's starts with 7. They both look awesome. Neither is dark or fuzzy.

The only difference we could see is that you can see the LCD grid a little more in his and there is a slight color/hue difference (mine slightly more blue, his slightly more red). But these differences could only be seen if they were side by side.

The whole thing is a joke.
thank for your clarification. yeah my screen look preaty good