series 5 or 7?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

GotBMW78

Aug 17, 2007
I am purchasing an iPhone today and want to know how can I tell if I am getting a series 5 or series 7 phone? Which should I try to get if possible?

Thanks for the help.

UnseenLlama

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I am purchasing an iPhone today and want to know how can I tell if I am getting a series 5 or series 7 phone? Which should I try to get if possible?

Thanks for the help.
You need to put the iPhone into field test mode. Type [SIZE=-1]*3001#12345#* into the number pad of the phone and press call. Then select versions. [/SIZE]

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Unless they let you open every iPhone box, turn the phone on, activate it then enter the code to display the screen model number, then no -- you won't be able to find out which one you have before you buy it.

But, chances are you will get a series 7 and that's all they will have in stock. The series 5's were first run phones and have been sold out for a while I suspect.

brianlamar

Bronze
Aug 6, 2007
Unless they let you open every iPhone box, turn the phone on, activate it then enter the code to display the screen model number, then no -- you won't be able to find out which one you have before you buy it.

But, chances are you will get a series 7 and that's all they will have in stock. The series 5's were first run phones and have been sold out for a while I suspect.
Actually they still have some of the 5 series phones. I purchased my iPhone late last week and got a replacement, both of them are 5 series screens.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
That is what people say but I have owned 4 different iPhones and each screen was just as bright as the other. To me it is just insecure folks trying to justify purchasing an iPhone in its initial days of launch.
No, I think it has more to do with people finding those spots we've seen pictures posted here of on series 7 screens and them not showing up on series 5 screens. It appears that not all 7 phones have the spots, or at least they have varying levels of brightness depending on the phone.

I don't think one is better than the other, and I don't think that people are trying to justify having early phones.

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
This is not correct. The 5 and 7 series came out together and both LCDs are still being used in iPhones at this time. If you go to a certain Apple store and buy an iPhone and it is a 5 series then most probably all the iPhones they have from that specific shipement they got are 5 series and likewise for 7 series. I had to get several replacements for my iPhone over the course of 3 days from the same Apple store because of different issues and all of them were 5 series.

-Bohs