SERIOUS ISSUE: Missing Phone calls while browsing Internet

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

suryag

Oct 1, 2007
Friends,

In many forums everyone is discussing about small bugs, like speaker volume, icons etc...

BUT

APPLE has to concentrate on a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE:

If you are browsing internet, you don’t receieve phone calls. That way iPhone has FAILED as a PHONE.
You don’t even notified that there is a missed call.
So lets all CRY for that, we may miss emergency calls.

andrew79

Bronze
Aug 27, 2007
I might be wrong here but I was under the assumption that iPhone doesn't receive voice call when on edge ( ie surfing the web ).

suryag

Oct 1, 2007
I might be wrong here but I was under the assumption that iPhone doesn't receive voice call when on edge ( ie surfing the web ).
No where either Apple / att said that you don't receive calls while on web.

Let them anounce this, they cannot expect not even 1 piece to be out into market...no one even dare to see iPhone.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Sometimes I miss calls but most of the tines I get disconnected and receive calls.
this is what happens to me aswell, i don't think i ever get the missed calls thing though..

and i actually DID NOT know about this so i'm an idiot..

i spend A LOT of time on EDGE

toshiba1

Aug 16, 2007
Wait a minute ....

you guys are saying if you're on Safari downloading a web page over EDGE and somebody calls, the phone does not ring?

I just experimented with this and it's true! Get thrown into voice mail.

Man, that sucks. Didn't know that.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You can get calls while using Wi-Fi, just not EDGE.
Also, please search before posting. This was already posted. Just a hint.

BTW, andrew79, I believe yours is the weirdest avatar I have yet to see.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
You can get calls while using Wi-Fi, just not EDGE.
Also, please search before posting. This was already posted. Just a hint.
We need more mods here, along with more global and topic specific stickies.

We have like 1 mod right? I've seen another person with mod privs, but I've never actually seen them moderate so um... yeah...

Chris, we need more mods, communal ones!

We need a mod for each forum topic, as well as all encompassing mods that have just a notch less privs than Chris. I would think it would be best if those type of mods were each a master of their field of interest, like one Mac person mod and one PC person mod so to speak. I don't think someone who dabbles in both would work out as well, because they'll never truly get the gist of the core users they're set to moderate.

entong

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
Friends,

In many forums everyone is discussing about small bugs, like speaker volume, icons etc...

BUT

APPLE has to concentrate on a VERY SERIOUS ISSUE:

If you are browsing internet, you don’t receieve phone calls. That way iPhone has FAILED as a PHONE.
You don’t even notified that there is a missed call.
So lets all CRY for that, we may miss emergency calls.
yeap thats true when you are using your iPhone for browsing internet you can't received any phone calls. no missed call, no phone call. but still you have voice mailbox. as far as i know once your phone cannot be contacted. it will be directed to your voice mail box. :cool:

Rumdada

Sep 23, 2007
thats bull all this money n u cant get calls when using edge, with no notification....... it should at least notify you w/o the some 1 having to use a vocie mail not a lot of ppl use vociemail......

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
that's true about any phone on the edge network. You can text, but actual downloading and calls are different. You can, however, do both on the high end bandwidths, such as UTMA/ 3G

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
that's true about any phone on the edge network. You can text, but actual downloading and calls are different. You can, however, do both on the high end bandwidths, such as UTMA/ 3G
This isn't true of all EDGE devices, but it is true of all iPhones. This has been discussed in multiple threads there, and I provided a lot of facts on how EDGE operates in general, and how it operates for ATT/Apple.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
This isn't true of all EDGE devices, but it is true of all iPhones.
This isn't true of all iPhones, I receive calls while on EDGE. It ask me if I want to take the call or ignore it. Several people including me had tested it. Some reported problem and it was believed to maybe be an issue with AT&T network in there area, but in the DFW you can receive calls while on EDGE.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
This isn't true of all iPhones, I receive calls while on EDGE. It ask me if I want to take the call or ignore it. Several people including me had tested it. Some reported problem and it was believed to maybe be an issue with AT&T network in there area, but in the DFW you can receive calls while on EDGE.
I could believe that... The ability is a Carrier Network setting, not anything specific to the device. (That's not entirely true, as the EDGE chipset has to support the ability, but I believe all 2.75G chipsets do support this)

And since ATT does support Voice priority on other devices, yours might have just slipped through the cracks... I'd be curious though, do you have this ability in other geographic locations? Have you tried it in other cities/states? The actual setting is applied on a tower by tower basis, so I'm wondering if it was a misconfig on a particular tower, or if it was a group of towers that were acquired that way, or if it's wider spread.

If you get a chance to test it in other areas, PLEASE let me know! I'm very curious on this.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
If you get a chance to test it in other areas, PLEASE let me know! I'm very curious on this.
My test was done at the DFW Airport. I'll try other areas (nearby cities) when possible.
I'll try to record (POC), but will need to find a number to call from that can be published (don't want to spend the time editing the number out).

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
My test was done at the DFW Airport. I'll try other areas (nearby cities) when possible.
I'll try to record (POC), but will need to find a number to call from that can be published (don't want to spend the time editing the number out).
Thanks! I'm really curious as to how widespread this anomoly is, and then if it's just your handset, or all of them in that area. (If it's just yours, but it's everywhere... would you be interested in parting with that unit? :p)