Serious Problems on the eiC Safari Mobile Template

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I just turned off a feature that some have reported as causing lag. I don't know if this is related to our crashes, but trying different things in an attempt to track down the problem.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I pushed a new release of the template and removed a bunch of things. For one, this seems to be loading faster, so it'll be a win for those not experiencing the crashes. My hope is this is a two birds, one stone fix.

It's always a good idea to do this in advance:

Settings > Safari > Clear Website History and Data.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I pushed a new release of the template and removed a bunch of things. For one, this seems to be loading faster, so it'll be a win for those not experiencing the crashes. My hope is this is a two birds, one stone fix.

It's always a good idea to do this in advance:

Settings > Safari > Clear Website History and Data.
Just a correction, it's under Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data

I just did it so hope that helps with this issue.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's not fixed. I restored to factory settings and set my phone up from scratch on Wednedsay. That was a waste of time because it just locked up again while I was writing a post here on eiC. I backspaced and typed the letter "e." The letter stayed stuck up in the air and my screen was completely unresponsive. I had to use the home button to open task switcher and force-quit Safari. When I loaded eiC up again, only half of my long post was saved as a draft. I'm going to use mobile Chrome for eiC for a while and see if it happens there.

I'm not sure if it's Apple or the forum software, but I've never had this happen outside of eiC.

Edit: Nope, I will not be using Chrome. It doesn't have the swipe gesture. Seriously, Google? I guess I'm going to have to use Tapatalk. I need stability and the swipe-to-go-back gesture on eiC or I'm just going to have to stop using this forum on my phone.

Edit 2: I tested Tapatalk and the eiC app, but I couldn't stand the limitations (you can't agree with a post, for example) layout and popups, though I'm sure I could disable the popups. I just want to view the forum like it is on my computer, but not have it lock up and not have to re-write my posts all the time. I'm going to search for a mobile browser that supports swipe.

Edit 3: Mobile Atomic, iCab and Chrome don't support swipe, so I'm thinking Apple is restricting them to get as many people as possible to use their own browser. Atomic looks terrible since it hasn't been updated for iOS 8.

Yeesh. I just considered composing my posts in the Notes app and then pasting them into Safari. That's when I realized this is more trouble than it's worth. I'm about to give up on using this forum on my phone...

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It may not just be eiC. I get lock ups on various sites. It locks up at times while typing my email address. It gets stuck on either the E or D, with the letter raised up. I have to force quit Safari.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I haven't had any app crashes. All is well for me on iOS 8.1, except messages app issues of freezing up and some Safari freezing up.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
It's not fixed. I restored to factory settings and set my phone up from scratch on Wednedsay. That was a waste of time because it just locked up again while I was writing a post here on eiC. I backspaced and typed the letter "e." The letter stayed stuck up in the air and my screen was completely unresponsive. I had to use the home button to open task switcher and force-quit Safari. When I loaded eiC up again, only half of my long post was saved as a draft. I'm going to use mobile Chrome for eiC for a while and see if it happens there.

I'm not sure if it's Apple or the forum software, but I've never had this happen outside of eiC.

Edit: Nope, I will not be using Chrome. It doesn't have the swipe gesture. Seriously, Google? I guess I'm going to have to use Tapatalk. I need stability and the swipe-to-go-back gesture on eiC or I'm just going to have to stop using this forum on my phone.

Edit 2: I tested Tapatalk and the eiC app, but I couldn't stand the limitations (you can't agree with a post, for example) layout and popups, though I'm sure I could disable the popups. I just want to view the forum like it is on my computer, but not have it lock up and not have to re-write my posts all the time. I'm going to search for a mobile browser that supports swipe.

Edit 3: Mobile Atomic, iCab and Chrome don't support swipe, so I'm thinking Apple is restricting them to get as many people as possible to use their own browser. Atomic looks terrible since it hasn't been updated for iOS 8.

Yeesh. I just considered composing my posts in the Notes app and then pasting them into Safari. That's when I realized this is more trouble than it's worth. I'm about to give up on using this forum on my phone...
Did you experience these issues on 8.0 or just 8.1? I remember having issues with the forums going back to 7.1.2 so I'm curious if this is an eIC related problem. It was still usable back then but now I get more lockups and Safari freezing in 8. I think one thing is for certain, the upgrade to 8.1 made my Safari experience worse. I'm unsure if it is eIC or Apple.