Serious touchscreen issues with my iPhone 5

49ers#1

Bronze
Sep 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida

The following video will show you what's going on with my iPhone 5 (3rd phone). Yesterday (1/26/13) I paid a visit to the Apple store and had my second iPhone replaced due to my screen. The guys at the Apple store said its hardware issue. So far, this issue only pops up when my phone is plugged in.

iPhone 5 touchscreen problems
https://http://discussions.apple.com/thread/4326234?start=0&tstart=0

Again, this is my second iPhone 5 (within 2 days) I'm having the same "hardware issue"..... Does anybody have any idea what's causing this problem?

Sent using iCafe app

49ers#1

Bronze
Sep 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I'm currently using a Lifeproof case on my phone. So it wouldn't be that, plus it only occurs while my phone is charging... This problem is really annoying! I'm thinking its got to be the cable that came with the phone...

Sent using iCafe app

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Did you restore as new phone or from a previous backup. If it happened with two phones, it may be a corrupt backup. Try a restore as a new phone.

49ers#1

Bronze
Sep 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida
No not yet. Just to clarify, this touchscreen problem didn't start right after I restored my second iPhone with my latest backup. If my backup was corrupted from the start, wouldn't I have noticed it from day 1?

This whole situation confuses me due to the fact this problem only occurs while my phone is plugged in my bedroom. I've tested my phone out by charging it in my car and from MacBook Pro. I couldn't replicate the issue. Again, it only happens in my room...

Sent using iCafe app

49ers#1

Bronze
Sep 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida
No not yet. Just to clarify, this touchscreen problem didn't start right after I restored my second iPhone with my latest backup. If my backup was corrupted from the start, wouldn't I have noticed it from day 1?

This whole situation confuses me due to the fact this problem only occurs while my phone is plugged in my bedroom. I've tested my phone out by charging it in my car and from MacBook Pro. I couldn't replicate the issue. Again, it only happens in my room...

"Sigh" my phone has been plugged directly into the outlet minus the extension cord for at least 20 minutes and the touchscreen issues are back.

Going to try to wipe my phone and start from scratch.

Sent using iCafe app
iPhone 5 (3rd phone) 32g - black
Go Niners!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Assuming you restored to factory settings, aren't using a screen protector or LifeProof that might be interfering with conduction, and your hands are dry, you'll need to have this phone replaced. Set the new one up as a new device and only use Apple charging cables.

Screen protectors and a LifeProof case shouldn't cause problems like these, but since you're having problems with the touchscreen you'll want to avoid them while you're testing.

JON35Y

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I have seen a similar issue but it was my 4S and it was when it was charging from my friends car charger. The screen worked but you had to touch a different part of the screen to open your selected app. I'd say definitely try a cable first. The chances of having 3 faulty iPhones with the same issue is very unlikely

49ers#1

Bronze
Sep 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Just got back from the Apple store. I had my charger and lightning cable replaced but kept the phone to do more tests later today. The techs believe its a bad charger or possibly the outlet in my wall going bad. I'll update after I've done some more tests.

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Just got back from the Apple store. I had my charger and lightning cable replaced but kept the phone to do more tests later today. The techs believe its a bad charger or possibly the outlet in my wall going bad. I'll update after I've done some more tests.

Sent using iCafe app
Be careful with that. I knew a friend that the outlet went up in flames and almost burned down the house.

49ers#1

Bronze
Sep 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Be careful with that. I knew a friend that the outlet went up in flames and almost burned down the house.
Thanks for the heads up. Lets just hope it was my charger that went bad and not the outlet.

I seriously do have to give the employees at the Apple Store credit for being patient and willing to help me out with switching out my last phone and the charger + lightning cable.

Sent using iCafe app

49ers#1

Bronze
Sep 25, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I've been testing the new charger / lightning cable out and everything seems back to normal. I'm guessing it was a faulty charger that was causing my screen to go crazy.

Sent using iCafe app
iPhone 5 32 gig black
(3rd iPhone 5)
Go Niners!