Seriously considering leaving the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silvermoon, May 31, 2015.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I know that most of you are probably thinking this is crazy as an IT major. But I have a number of reasons for wanting to do this... first and foremost, I pay about $120/month for the iPhone with UNL talk/text and 1GB data. I'm behind on my bill which is upward of $270 right now including a past due amount of $147. As a college student, I want to establish my credit and focus my attention not on paying my phone but also paying off credit cards and other financial obligations.

Second, as I'm sure some of you may relate, the phone has consumed most of my life. When I'm in the shower, I feel the need to check the phone. When I'm on my way to work, I feel the need to check the phone. When I'm going to bed, I feel the need to check the phone. It's as though I've become too attached to it and all the wonderful things that the phone allows me to do.

Third, I'll lose out on apps that I can only get through the App Store, but in return I will gain face-to-face time and social interaction in a real world. I'm not completely at a loss since I have a MBP and can most likely find apps that I used on my phone to install.

Fourth, I feel as though with the rate that technology is evolving that no phone will ever be good enough. I started in the iPhone world back on a 4S. I could not wait to get the 5S and then realized that I did not need Siri as much as I thought I would, and got a 6 which had Siri anyway. If I really need a camera, then I should go out and buy a camera, not rely on my phone which is only capable of 8MP at best. I feel as though Apple is way behind its competitors, when Android has a phone that is capable of a 12MP, and some phones even at a 16MP. That is not so important to me as I don't do a lot of photography, but it illustrates that Apple may be spending too much time in one area of the phone that the rest of the phone remains the same.

Fifth, after being with Verizon for 3 years, I'm ready to leave them. As much as they get recognized as the top wireless provider, my experience with them has been less than great. They are not only the most expensive company, but their customer service leaves something to be desired.

I'm thinking I will try to get $450-$500 for the iPhone 6. Since I'm tied to an agreement, I have to wait until my phone is paid off before I sell.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Although I believe I'm not alone in thinking that the iPhone has become an addiction for many people.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Although I'm not going to leave the iPhone, you're not alone as far as the parts where the iPhone has taken over your social life and you feel the need to check it often. That is what I've been having issues with ever since I came into the iPhone world with the 3GS. I don't get outside because I am on my iPhone waiting for any emails to come through, or text messages. Although I have a (girl) friend who texts me all day even when she's at work which is awesome, I don't get outside to meet new people. Sure I can meet new people online, but that's not the same as meeting them face to face and having a real conversation.

You mention when you're in bed, you feel the need to check your phone. Don't feel bad about that. I sleep with my iPhone.

I agree that it'll be good for you to pay off your bills and any debt you may have. A good credit will help you a lot.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You'll use it just as much if you get a flagship Android. If you try to give it up completly and go back to a flip phone, you will likely come right back unless you truly cannot afford your monthly bill, and it sounds like you can if you budget your money. You will always need to upgrade to remain up to date. It's the nature of this type of technology.

You don't need to completly cut yourself off - you just need to set some limits. I would consider switching to AT&T, going with Next and setting some reasonable usage limits as well as using some discipline so the phone doesn't affect your social life. You can probably get a FAN discount through your employer. I have one and get 3 GB of data per month with rollover data, unlimited talk and text and can upgrade every year for free (except tax). I only pay $99 per month for this. I've found that it's more cost effective than subsidizing or paying full cost and then selling the old ones.

The next iPhone will likely have a 12 MP camera. Some of the 12 Megapixel Android phones don't take a good of pictures as the iPhone's 8 MP camera because the camera optics aren't as good.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

That was the plan. I was going to switch to a flip phone to get a lower monthly bill. I'm not sure that I would go back to it unless there was some work related reason or an app that I was just dying to have.

I was already thinking of switching to AT&T even on the prepaid side. But I'm not a fan of contracts and if I recall correctly, NEXT is similar to EDGE where you are tied into an agreement with the company and have to pay an additional amount on your bill. It is attractive to me the option to upgrade.

The nature of the iPhone is that you will pay at least $100 easy, just because it is a smartphone. Ideally, I'd like to have my bill around $60 or $70. I don't believe that is going to happen with any smartphone plan.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You may be able to wangle a bill like that with Sprint, but...it's Sprint.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can turn a Next phone in if you decide you really can't afford it, but if you budget I think you easily can. Can you get a FAN discount through your work? It's about $99 per month if so. I just doubt you will last long with a flip phone. I think you will find that there are much easier ways to save $30 a month that are less of a hardship, so to speak. Some examples are shopping for groceries more wisely, not going out to each as much and going to second run movies instead of first run.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And look at camera sensor technology instead of just megapixels.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. detroity2k

detroity2k Member
    Bronze

I thought the same thing until my job replaced the blackberry with the Samsung Galaxy S5. It is very customizable but that becomes confusing. Think hard about it before you take the leap.

9. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

BYOD to Cricket Wireless. They use the AT&T network so coverage is pretty good. Go with the Pro service for $55/ month (autopay), unlimited talk and Text, 10gb Data.

10. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Don't do it.

The End.

11. diverdown

diverdown Contributor
    Silver

I switched to T-mobile to lower my bill. As far as being addicted to the phone, that's a personal battle that you will need to face. My phone is always with me but I still get out and do things with people. With the exception of a message or call from my wife/kids, no email or social media notification is that important that it will prohibit me from getting out and doing stuff. The iPhone is a tool to enhance your life not run it.

As far as specs the iPhone is right up there. Sure the Galaxy S6 and the LG G4 both have cameras that are better in most reviews than the iPhone 6/6+, but these phones were just released and the iPhone was released last September. The next iPhone will include upgraded cameras..... That's just how technology works. But don't just read the MP number. Samsung has been putting a 16mp shooter in the Galaxy since the S5 and the S5 camera was crappy (I had one). It took them to the S6 to balance the software and sensor technology with the MP's.

Good Luck
    ~S

12. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

13. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Wouldn't I still have to pay a $40 smartphone access fee? It's not just about using my phone less, it's also about lowering my bill.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If you need to lower your bill, maybe you could switch to Cricket or Boost Mobile. The slower data that they have might prompt you to use it a little less off of WiFi.

15. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I also heard Straight Talk is cheap, but I don't know how good the service is.

16. BBCydniRocks

BBCydniRocks New Member

Straight talk in Arizona supports the iPhone if you eventually pay off yours you can get one of their Sim card kits. It's cheaper and runs on Verizon towers. We had them but switched back because my husband got a discount through his work and I wanted the 6 plus on edge.

17. BBCydniRocks

BBCydniRocks New Member

Of course I don't know what state you're in but if you're in Arizona that helps.

18. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

UPDATE: I've lowered my bill another $10 by removing the insurance. I currently pay about $105 after taxes. It is still too high given my current situation and recently being out of work. I'm looking at alternative carriers, three that immediately jump out at me are Boost Mobile, Straight Talk, and Cricket Wireless. If you are currently with one of these wireless carriers, please share your experience with their service.

This link provided a few more alternatives, one that was especially interesting is Ting. I'm cautious though because they use the Sprint network. However, Sprint is not too far behind, as they are the third major wireless carrier just after Verizon and AT&T.

In the meantime, one option that I was given when I talked to a Verizon Wireless rep at the store was to switch over to a prepaid plan and pick up a basic phone until I have paid off my Edge agreement. I'd prefer not to go the basic route if other options exist.

Another option that I forgot to mention is switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. As I understand it, you can leave Verizon and T-Mobile will pay off your contract to switch over to them up to $650. The only reservation I have is the quality of the service. I'm also wondering about savings by making the switch.

#18 silvermoon, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  19. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

I've tried Cricket Wireless and coverage is great because they are owned by AT&T Wireless now so Cricket Wireless uses the AT&T network. The only drawback is the customer service which is based offshore. Other than that, everything was great. The reason why I didn't keep it is because I was testing it for my brother who has the service now. Reason why I stayed with AT&T is because I get a 26% FAN discount.