Seriously, what else is there to wait for?

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
A lot of people are saying the iPhone 3G is not revolutionary enough to be worth upgrading to and are waiting for the next version.

But other then more memory, maybe a better processor, and a camera upgrade, what major HARDWARE upgrades could there really be?

I can only think of lots of software changes, which you don't need new hardware to impliment.

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
A lot of people are saying the iPhone 3G is not revolutionary enough to be worth upgrading to and are waiting for the next version.

But other then more memory, maybe a better processor, and a camera upgrade, what major HARDWARE upgrades could there really be?

I can only think of lots of software changes, which you don't need new hardware to impliment.

I am waiting for either v3, or MAYBE if we get 3g around here...

But, i don't really wanna spend $15 more on something i cant use.

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
I am waiting for either v3, or MAYBE if we get 3g around here...

But, i don't really wanna spend $15 more on something i cant use.
and are there any hardware upgrades you expect a V3 to have beyond those that I mentioned above?

my point is that although the V2 is not revolutionary, I think it may have more new things then even the V3 will have

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
True. Most of the features that the iPhone lacks, are software features. Seems like Apple doesn't have the brightest of developers up there in Silicon Valley. Maybe they could go across the road and talk to the Google developers and get some ideas?

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
The early rumors of what 3g was going to consist of was much more exciting than the actual product. i.e. video chat, yes, that would have been soo cool!

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
The early rumors of what 3g was going to consist of was much more exciting than the actual product. i.e. video chat, yes, that would have been soo cool!
i have another believer...iChat -yes, on the iPhone...bem!

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
and are there any hardware upgrades you expect a V3 to have beyond those that I mentioned above?

my point is that although the V2 is not revolutionary, I think it may have more new things then even the V3 will have
not if you skip v2... then v3 will certainly have more than v1. i think for a lot of us it's not about the money or the desire. i just don't see a compelling reason to turn in my v1 yet.

eye-Fone

Zealot
Gold
Jul 5, 2008
Sunny, southern California.

1. An SD card slot (or mini-SD).
  2. Video camera (rear)
  3. Front video camera
  4. I'm sure I can think of more items later...

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
  1. An SD card slot (or mini-SD).
  2. Video camera (rear)
  3. Front video camera
  4. I'm sure I can think of more items later...
we all know Apple isn't going to put in an SD card slot, or a replaceable battery. So that just leaves camera upgrades

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I'm thinking besides minors tweaks, it's hardware-ed out. Maybe a font facing camera? IMO, I'm not a fan of SD cards, and I think that's a dieing technology for phones. If they enabled HD access, then most wouldn't even need an SD card. So besides minor upgrades (cpu, camera, front camera), there isn't much left. Just software.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
HD access? Hard drives on portable devices are so 4 years ago.

Oh, do you mean a file system?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
There's A2DP and all of the other bluetooth profiles. I know that's "software" but really it's firmware, which is kind of inbetween hardware and software. It's also something that Apple is keeping from us, and I think it's something they are keeping from the developers. Even jailbroken phones never got A2DP. I kind of have to think it's because of some limitation built into the phone because the demand sure is there. I can't think that there aren't any past developers that didn't investigate giving us A2DP.

Jul 12, 2008
officially supported "tethering" so you can use it as an external modem (without having to Jailbreak the phone).

ERASER

Jan 14, 2007
Me and you are in the same predicament:(

It showed me in the area coverage, but I really am not so Wifey got the New Phone & I'm holding tight until SOMEONE puts something on Installer, LOL !

Jul 13, 2008
USA
These are the things I am waiting for:

1) Video (front and back)
2) Better CPU and SOP
3) More memory - 32Gb should be fine :)
4) BlueTooth Stereo Support
5) 802.11N
6) Better battery life

That should do it. Nothing too much to ask.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
These are the things I am waiting for:

1) Video (front and back)
2) Better CPU and SOP
3) More memory - 32Gb should be fine :)
4) BlueTooth Stereo Support
5) 802.11N
6) Better battery life

That should do it. Nothing too much to ask.
1) It might make the iPhone alittle expensive, cause a quality camera in the front and on the back is expensive;)

3)I don't think they should stop at like a 32gb model cause anything higher IMO is just unnecessary. And is gonna cost loads of money, cause if the 60-80-160gb iPod (Classic) is around the price of a USED iPhone, then imagine it how much the iPhone varient would cost trying to make that many gigabytes into solid-state memory;)

4) Should be in the v3 model:laugh2:
5) That would totally kill 3G man!:p
6) Takes time and advances in technology to achieve better battery life.