Server Maintenance

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Not sure of the exact timing, but you can likely expect some downtime in the coming days. Due to various factors, the site will be moving servers. There are a lot of moving parts in this move, so there will undoubtedly be *some* downtime. I'll do what I can to keep downtime to a minimum.

If for some reason, you find yourself accessing the site (but not able to post), it's likely that we've moved and your ISP hasn't updated their records. We do this to prevent posts from appearing on the "old server" and to keep from losing any posts.

Sorry for any inconvenience. Believe me, moving servers is certainly not on my list of favorite things to do, but didn't have much of a choice.

-Chris

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Don't envy you that task at all. Hope it all goes as well and smoothly as these things ever can.

Let us know if you need any help testing on different browsers or in any way really ...

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Ive noticed since i downloaded the new internet explorer version 8 things have been a little slower here at EIC rendering the page...could be a bug in I8 though...
good luck with the server maintenance. :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
After a long day of negotiation, I just ordered the new server. Changing up the configuration a bit, so we'll see how it goes. Should be a screamer. If it gets deployed later tonight, we'll do the move over the weekend.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
After a long day of negotiation, I just ordered the new server. Changing up the configuration a bit, so we'll see how it goes. Should be a screamer. If it gets deployed later tonight, we'll do the move over the weekend.

Glad it is this weekend and not next weekend with the impending WWDC09 event.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Glad it is this weekend and not next weekend with the impending WWDC09 event.
Any self-respecting iPhone website owner schedules these things before WWDC, iPhone launches.

Of course, I couldn't predict January of 07. That was a painful month for the site formerly known as everythingiPhone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ive noticed since i downloaded the new internet explorer version 8 things have been a little slower here at EIC rendering the page...could be a bug in I8 though...
good luck with the server maintenance.
Why on Earth would you use IE when there are far superior, free, and more secure browsers available?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, I use Firefox as well. I only use IE when there is no other choice, which is at work.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
Any self-respecting iPhone website owner schedules these things before WWDC, iPhone launches.

Of course, I couldn't predict January of 07. That was a painful month for the site formerly known as everythingiPhone.
I was checking bookmarks on my iPhone a couple days ago and stumbled upon my old everythingiPhone bookmark. I think you rode out that wave ok! ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Chris, I am curious, are you just swapping out servers with the same hosting and IP, or are you moving to a different hosting/IP configuration? Just wondering why the DNS would be changing.

Moving servers and hosts, so new IP. Pretty big price increases at my current provider, but without any improvements.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Wow, good luck with that, it is always a pain. Make sure they don't forget to increment your SOA records, it really helps with the propagation of the new addresses.
Not sure what they are, but will pass it along to the server admins.;) They are a good group and take away some of the stress of these moves. Pretty excited about the new box. Changed up the configuration a bit, so we'll see how it performs.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Congrats Chris on the switch over. It must have gone really smooth. I didn't even notice as much as a hiccup on EIC.