Server Move

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The site is moving servers yet again. This latest move will provide the necessary hardware to handle the current traffic and allow for an easy upgrade prior to June as I expect it will be a little busy here at EI.;)

I'm doing what I can to avoid downtime.

Thanks!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The server move is complete. I apologize for the down time. More bumps than expected, but it's better now than in June. I was thinking yesterday that I'm really starting to get the hang of this, but not the case. No matter what I do, it seems there are always issues. :mad:

-Chris

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Just fixed a server issue that was causing activation emails to NOT be sent out. :eek:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
At some point in the next week or so we'll be moving servers. I'll do my best to make this process as smooth as possible, with limited downtime, if any.

Based on my research and the server I've selected, we should see a significant performance boost. It should be immediately noticeable. Good things lie ahead.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Very cool. Hope the move goes as smoothly as possible.
You know how much fun these moves can be... :p

Doing my year end accounting and realized that I was overpaying for my current server. There are some incredible server deals for Black Friday, so the timing was right. Only drawback is that my existing server gets invoiced on the 25th and they have a 72 hour cancellation policy, so I'm going to have to carry extra servers for a month.

Getting SSD's in a RAID1 configuration, which should provide from some serious speed.

Spent the last 2 days cleaning files off my various sites. What a wasteland of old software.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Only drawback is that my existing server gets invoiced on the 25th and they have a 72 hour cancellation policy, so I'm going to have to carry extra servers for a month.
I Hope this doesn't mean we're going to see a hike in the price for premium membership here. ;)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I Hope this doesn't mean we're going to see a hike in the price for premium membership here. ;)
It's going from from free (this is a great website) to free (this is a great website that is fast, like lightning).

Do you own the servers? Or do you rent them?
I lease them on a monthly basis. If I ran my own servers, the website would go down regularly with my electric.

Now all we need is an updated app :)
I was testing the new app, but got sidetracked when trying to get a few beta testers in the loop. Thanks for reminding me, one more thing for the to-do list.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Oh and I just got off the phone with the server dudes. The build is underway -- should take 24-72 to build, then it's migration time.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Build is completed, well for the most part. They ran out of RAM, so built it with half the RAM so we could start the migration. I should note that half the RAM on the new server is still more RAM than the current server. Other things to make it more kick ass is the inclusion of SSD drives in a RAID1 configuration. Smarter people than me tell me it's going to make the site fly.

The migration my friends, is underway. At some point, I'll have to shut down the old server and only allow posting on the new server. Think of it as a 'change of address'. During that time, your local ISP might still be delivering you to the old server. You'll know you've hit the old server when you cannot post -- since I'll be closing up the old server to avoid any lost posts.

In other site news, I might be making some changes to the blog. Been doing some testing on everythingWM and everything Android. The templates there are allowing for super fast loading page. It also pushes a full version of the site to iPhones, iPads that doesn't look terrible and isn't a limited mobile version. Still tweaking some things there before committing to anything on the big site -- that would here. ;)