Setting up 4S / iCloud / Apple ID

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by trnsilver, Oct 14, 2011.

1. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

Here's my situation.

I have an iPhone 4 and, upon installing iOS5, created a new Apple ID because I wanted name@me.com as an e-mail address. Because I did that, and I still have a gift card balance/all my apps registered to my old Apple ID (comcast.net email), technically my iPhone 4 is using both IDs (one for iCloud, one for apps).

I'm getting my iPhone 4S today and am going to have to set it up. Is my best bet simply to restore from my latest iPhone 4 backup? I know there's not a way to migrate/combine the Apple IDs right now...but i'm not sure what method I should use at this point. Usually I like to start phones fresh but in this case im not sure that's the best option.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks.

2. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I switched my Mobile Me over to iCloud the other day. I'm one of those people that wish they could merge and you can't. I set mine up using my@me.com for iCloud and my Apple ID for APP Store purchases. It works fine. I had a little trouble at first getting things migrated from MobileMe to iCloud. But it's all good now running that configuration.

3. trnsilver

trnsilver Zealot
    Gold

So you're saying just keep the same configuration at least for now until they do something to fix it or make it able to merge?

4. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Yeah... I had my iTunes account for years before I got MobileMe. I want to keep my Me Address, so I am using it for iCloud. You can put in different Identities for other things, like Apps and stuff. Since I have bought so much stuff with my first iTunes address, I have to use it for App Store purchases. I'm hoping one day soo, they will allow you to merge them. I honestly don't see what the big deal is, other than they are worried someone might take someone else's stuff.