Setting up a New Phone -- From Scratch or Restore from Previous phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by bballrob, Sep 27, 2016.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I received my new 128 GB Piano Black iPhone 7 PLUS yesterday. Opened it up last night and started setting up, but hit a major stopper when I couldn't recall my encryption password. I may have no choice but to set it up from scratch this time. A couple of comments from another thread got me thinking.

These two posts definitely have my thinking that this may be the way to go. A couple of questions I have:
    1. How do you go about putting on the apps you want and determining which ones to leave off?(Especially when the mount of your storage just DOUBLED!)
    2. Is there a way to get my historical text messages onto my new device? There is some history there I'd like to keep from the old phone.

2. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

One other thing. Some of you may have seen where i mentioned I couldn't restore from the Golden iPhone 6 PLUS to the 128 GB Piano Black IPhone 7 PLUS due to a forgotten encryption password. How do you delete that backup and password in order to just create a new backup that I could then restore from??

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

1. Select Install on the ones you want to sync through iTunes (see screenshot).
    2. Not really, aside from copying them or screenshots. They'll still be on your Mac, though.

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 11.15.18 PM.png

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Make an iCloud backup and use it instead of the encrypted iTunes backup.

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That's easy.

IMG_2727.JPG

6. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I've restored from backup on new phones for as long as I can remember and never had an issue. Maybe I'm just lucky :whistle:

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Like others here, I always set up a new phone from scratch. It forces me to clean out some of the apps I rarely or never use. More importantly, I'm not introducing hidden old problems into a new phone by restoring from a backup of an older phone. JMHO

8. Kratos

Kratos New Member

I also do that. At the end of every year (or when I will get a new device), I do not even remember what I have installed, uninstalled, manually deleted, files, etc...

Also, LastPass app is something that I started using 1 year ago, and now I cannot live without it.

Hopefully this app will stay ONLINE forever :D

9. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Ok. I think it's time. The weekend is here. No work tomorrow. 7:23 pm local time. I'm ready to officially set up the 128 GB Piano Black iPhone 7 Plus.

10. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

This question has always been one of mine too, but I don't want to lose data within apps and old text messages. Since it is a new iPhone and new iOS, will any remnants of my last jailbreak (on an iPhone 6 not Plus) be installed on a new iPhone 7Plus?

11. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

@Europa I got a question to #2
    I understand you messages don't stay with starting your phone from scratch but with the handoff feature your messages are still on other devices like your Mac or iPad. Is there a way to recover it from there ?

12. MCube74

MCube74 New Member

I always setup my phones as new from scratch. Can choose what not to install.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The messages will still be on your Mac, but there's no way to port them back over to the phone from there.

You can, however, transfer the the messages folder over to a jailbroken phone.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yes. Traces of the jailbreak and some jailbreak settings are backed up in iTunes/iCloud. This usually doesn't pose a problem. If it does, you could always restore to factory settings. You'll notice some of your old settings automatically apply when you jailbreak the new phone. One thing I like to do if I'm going to use a jb backup on a stock phone, is uninstall/disable all of my tweaks and then make a new backup that's as clean as possible. That minimizes the traces.

15. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks, Europa! I thought of that too late, though... :(

16. EverythingApple

Gold

How would I know if it's causing a problem?

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If the current problems you are experiencing are resolved after restoring to factory settings, it indicates that the problems were likely related to the backup.

18. EverythingApple

Gold

There are just some settings that I can't put in manually. What backup settings could be jailbreak corrupted?

19. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

They may not be files or settings that the user can access.

20. B89rent89

B89rent89 Member
    Bronze

Suffered a stroke on Oct. 23rd, got out of the hospital yesterday. My iPhone 7+ was delivered while I was in hospital and I started to set it up as a new phone, which is something I always do. Part of the set up was to enter my phone number in order to use SMS messaging. I entered the number and clicked the "SAVE" button and rec'd an "Unable to save phone number" message.
    Don't remember seeing that on any previous phone, although on some previous phones I did a restore from iTunes or iCloud. I haven't yet set my 6S+ back to "factory settings" and I'm wondering if that's the problem. Any ideas out there?