Setting up an ad-hoc network

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
It seems a bit odd making this thread during all that is going on.

Anyway, you know I'm at the beach. I'm staying an my unless house, which does not have Wi-Fi. I have with me my MacBook Pro and of course the iPhone. My uncle has an HP laptop running XP which has an internet connection via Ethernet. I'd like to set up an ad-hoc network from it to get Internet on the MBP.

I've been trying all mornng to do so. I set them up all the time on my Macs, but I must not be doing something right on the PC. The MacBook can connect to the network, but it doesn't get an Internet connection. I have a feeling I'm skipping a step or two. Does anybody have any experience with them on PCs? Thanks.

- John

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
cant help you there. get outside and enjoy the beach. there's nothing happening online. macgirl has got things on lock at EIC, so take a break.

but be sure to capture all the fun on iRovr.

Buffy

Zealot
Gold
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, what he said.^^ :cool: What in the HECK are you doing inside?!

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
Go have some fun

Yeah, don't worry bout us here...we're fine for now. You go have some FUN! We'll be here when you get back.:) Go take tonz of pix and make all us wish WE were there too!:laugh2:

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Oh don't worry. I've already taken several photos and I've been outsde more than in. However, I would like to be able to post some pictures here, and tyere are a couple of important emails my dad is waiting for, which he needs to check on the MacBook; he doesn't know the password to the emailmaccount, so he can't check it on my phone.

I'm headed to the beach now, so I suppose I'll fool around with the PC some more when I get back.

- John

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
You could find a Barnes and Noble that has free wi-fi and there is always a Starbucks attached to them...

At least that is what I would do (due to my lack of computer knowledge).

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hey john... have you told the ethernet connection to "share"? to do this, go to the properties of the connection, and under the "Advanced" tab, check "allow other network users to share this internet connection".

then you just need to create the ad-hoc, and it should be good to go.