Setting up iPad 2 for the first time

Discussion in 'iPad 2' started by bkford, Dec 9, 2012.

1. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

I know there are tons of resources out there, but I was hoping someone could direct me to the easiest and best source...I am giving an iPad2 to my daughter for Christmas. Right after we open our presents, she will be heading back to her home. If I could sit down with her for a while, I would be able to talk her through setting it up, but that can't happen. Another thing, I believe some things have changed since I got mine and set it up a couple of years ago--for example, is it still necessary to go into iTunes with the cable the first time it is set up? Anyway, just a point in the direction of a great resource, assuming the user has not even had experience with iPhone (she's great at computers, just no experience with devices).

2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

With the more recent iOS devices and newer hardware, it is no longer necessary to connect to iTunes to set up a new device, in this case, the iPad. The screen will prompt her for everything she needs to do for initial setup. Hopefully she will have access to a WiFi connection as it will look for one and it will be used for the initial connection setup. Even if no WiFi, she'll still be able to set it up.

The best resource I can offer is a combination of this website and of course, the Apple support site here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/

3. bkford

bkford Member
    Bronze

Great info. Thanks. Yes, she definitely has wifi at her house, so would that be a good reason for us not to even start the setup here at my house, and just let her do it all where her own wifi is? I have set up or helped set up 4 iPads, and have updated with each new version, but I kind of fly by the seat of my pants and not sure I can talk her through it over the phone. So, this will be helpful for me to share with her. Thanks again.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Unless she is going to unwrap the iPad and instantly sprint out the door it only takes a minute or 2 for initial setup of the iPad..

Maybe a quick setup, a few app downloads would be better so she can use it for the trip home?