Setting up iPhone

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
So since everyone in this section is getting the new iPhone I want to ask this question. I had some issues with setting up my X when I upgraded last year and I don’t want the same headache this year.

When I backed up my 7+ it wouldn’t allow me to choose that back up when I went to restore. It wasn’t there. I updated iTunes and tried again. Still not there. I powered down and tried again. I tried updating my iOS on the 7+ and still nothing. I finally had to restore from an old backup and lost what was on my phone. I still have all my pictures on the computer but not on my phone.

Any suggestions for restoring when Friday hits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Change the name of your phone in the iPhone Settings app and then make a new back up in iTunes. Check to make sure it’s there afterwards. Give the new phone a different name. And just for good measure, if you have enough space, make an iCloud backup now and then switch back to iTunes backups. Having a redundant backup helps ensure that you won’t have a problem.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Change the name of your phone in the iPhone Settings app and then make a new back up in iTunes. Check to make sure it’s there afterwards. Give the new phone a different name. And just for good measure, if you have enough space, make an iCloud backup now and then switch back to iTunes backups. Having a redundant backup helps ensure that you won’t have a problem.

Hi Europa!
You’ve been very helpful in the past to me and I just wondered what advice you could give me in activating my new 512GB X Max s. In the past I’ve always done it through iTunes, but my PC is pretty old and I’ve been having issues when trying to back it up to my PC through iTunes. It always gives me an error message. It does back up every morning to iCloud, so I feel pretty good about everything being there. When I get the new iPhone should I just place them side by side and do the “Restore From Old iPhone”, or is there a better and easier way? Also......my wife and I are leaving for Spain on Sunday and originally Apple said my phone would arrive between October 5th & the 12th, which was perfect since we return home on October the 4th. Now it’s saying it will ship between September 28th and October 5th. Does Apple allow you to hold it for a particular date or maybe FedEx does. Sorry for the long reply. Thanks in advance!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hi Europa!
You’ve been very helpful in the past to me and I just wondered what advice you could give me in activating my new 512GB X Max s. In the past I’ve always done it through iTunes, but my PC is pretty old and I’ve been having issues when trying to back it up to my PC through iTunes. It always gives me an error message. It does back up every morning to iCloud, so I feel pretty good about everything being there. When I get the new iPhone should I just place them side by side and do the “Restore From Old iPhone”, or is there a better and easier way? Also......my wife and I are leaving for Spain on Sunday and originally Apple said my phone would arrive between October 5th & the 12th, which was perfect since we return home on October the 4th. Now it’s saying it will ship between September 28th and October 5th. Does Apple allow you to hold it for a particular date or maybe FedEx does. Sorry for the long reply. Thanks in advance!
Yep, you can use that method or restore it from your iCloud backup. You won’t need iTunes to activate it. Here are step-by-step directions for setting it up. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

The times can vary depending on location, but UPS and FedEx will typically hold packages for 5 days. After that, they return them to the sender. The shipping dates are often sooner than Apple quotes or at least the earliest date in the range they give. They process to ship about a week before they arrive, so your estimated arrival date hasn’t changed yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if it arrives a day or two before you get home, which would be fine since they’ll hold it for five days. But just to be safe, you could request a delivery change and have it sent to a friend or family member just in case it gets there 5+ days before you get home.

Have fun in Spain! :)

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Yep, you can use that method or restore it from your iCloud backup. You won’t need iTunes to activate it. Here are step-by-step directions for setting it up. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

The times can vary depending on location, but UPS and FedEx will typically hold packages for 5 days. After that, they return them to the sender. The shipping dates are often sooner than Apple quotes or at least the earliest date in the range they give. They process to ship about a week before they arrive, so your estimated arrival date hasn’t changed yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if it arrives a day or two before you get home, which would be fine since they’ll hold it for five days. But just to be safe, you could request a delivery change and have it sent to a friend or family member just in case it gets there 5+ days before you get home.

Have fun in Spain! :)

Thanks again, Europa! Once again, you’ve managed to make things seem simple for me!! I will toast you before drinking my first glass of sangria! Cheers!!