Settings badge icon missing on iOS 8.1.1

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm running iOS 8.1.1, and 8.1.2 is out.

Going to Settings > General > Software Update, I can see that iOS has acknowledged that there is a version of iOS available which is newer than the one I have installed:

IMG_0705.PNG (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

Isn't this supposed to appear as a badge notification on the Settings app? I'm not getting one:

IMG_0706.jpg (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

I sent into Settings > Notifications to make sure I had badges enabled for the Settings app, but the Settings app is nowhere to be found in the list of apps, leading me to believe that the badge is not optional, but mandatory.

What am I missing? Was this feature removed?

I Googled "badge icon on settings" and it seems there are many instances of users with a Settings badge icon that won't go away, but none where it fails to appear.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I don't think it's immediate. It will probably show in a few days.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I believe the badge icon was removed. When I went into Settings>General>Software Update, I see that iOS 8.1.2 is the latest update. Thinking about it, I haven't had a badge icon in awhile. I'd say give it 2-3 days.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

People who didn't want to update used to complain endlessly about not being able to get rid of the badge. It's a source of irritation since a lot of people like clean home screens with cleared reminders, and this was out of their control unless they updated. We didn't used to have jailbreaks for every iOS version, but we did have a jailbreak tweak to hide the badge. OTA updating is disabled on jailbroken devices so we don't see a badge anymore. If it's not showing up stock, Apple might have gotten rid of the badge because of all the complaints. I don't ever remember it showing up until days after the update became available and I've never seen it on any on my devices on iOS 8, but I usually install them within a week. There is already a jailbreak available for 8.1.2. There is no need to wait and see if it will show up. Just update now. Be sure to do a full update in iTunes if you want to jailbreak.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

At this point I'm intrigued to see whether the badge will show up or not at some point. I know I don't need to wait for it, but I figure this is a great opportunity to wait and find out when that badge will show up, since this is an update that brings me nothing that I need.

I will keep that in mind if at some point in the future I decide to go that route, so I do appreciate the heads up.

I know you trust the jailbreak with your life, but I still don't—and probably never will—feel comfortable handing my iPhone over to software that looks like this. Chinese characters, Roman letters, and random strings of characters with diacritical marks that obviously failed to render correctly, all in the same dialog box? These people could be placing an ancient Chinese curse on my iPhone and I'd be none the wiser. So I'm going to pass for now. :)

Good luck to Jeff and Jeff's iPh…的iPhone 5S...

TaiG-Uncheck-1024x737.png

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There is still a settings badge for available software updates. I just noticed one on my mom's iPhone. She's on 8.1.1. The jailbreak must automatically block the badge because I have a jailbroken 5s that's still on 8.1 and it doesn't have a badge. It makes sense that there wouldn't be a badge on jailbroken devices since the jailbreak disables OTA updates. However, we still got a bagde last year and the year before when we were jailbroken.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I never got my Settings app to show the expected 1-c.jpg notification badge due to the availability of iOS 8.1.2 while I was still on iOS 8.1.1. I waited a little over two weeks for that badge to show up, and it never did, so I decided to go ahead and update—via iTunes, the way I like to do it—not via OTA.

I plugged my iPhone into my iMac with the iTunes application running. iTunes gave me that pop-up telling me that a newer version of my software—iOS 8.1.2—was available for my iPhone. I clicked on "Update."
    a.png
    iTunes and my iPhone did their little dance, and after a few minutes, my iPhone was running iOS 8.1.2.

Shortly after that, iTunes gave me the same pop-up telling me that a newer version of my software—iOS 8.1.2—was available for my iPhone—pretty much right after the update process completed on my iPhone. I figured that perhaps I had accidentally clicked on "Update" twice in rapid succession, and I figured my only recourse was to let those two dance again. I wanted this time to count, so I located "Por Una Cabeza" by Carlos Gardel on YouTube and played it for them. And dance they did—beautifully, to boot. It reminded me of Schwarzenneger and Curtis on True Lies.

After that dance finished, iTunes popped up the same pop-up, for the third time (for those of you who are counting), and I definitely knew something was amiss at this point.

Here's what's going on. iTunes has no idea that my iPhone's iOS has been updated to 8.1.2:

On my iPhone, I see this:

b.jpg (thumbnail; click to enlarge)

On iTunes 12.0.1 (running on the latest version of OS X [10.10.1]), I see this:

c.jpg (thumbnail, click to enlarge)

I guess I'm going to file a bug report for Apple at http://bugreport.apple.com.

If you're not familiar with this tool, you may want to read the thread about Apple's bug reporting tool right here on eiC at http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/apples-excellent-bug-reporter-for-ios-and-all-of-its-products.107421/#post-1080106.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Reboot the phone and the computer.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Everything is running like a well-oiled machine again. Thanks!

Apple is going to have to give up that "It just works" tagline. I think Europa's advice is more worthy of it.