Settings Badge Icon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alamarco, Oct 6, 2012.

1. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

Is there a way to remove the badge icon on the Settings app?

I've tried a Google search, but I'm only finding methods that require a jailbreak. My device is stock and I'm on iOS 5.

The reason I don't want to upgrade to iOS 6 is because of the WiFi bug and also compatibility. On my iPhone 4 the only new feature really is Do Not Disturb. While this is a good feature, iOS 5 made my iPhone 4 incredibly slow so I'm not upgrading iOS again to make it even slower.

I have to deal with my iPhone 4 for a month because I had to return my iPhone 5 since I could push in the top right corner glass. It was really weird. My carrier won't let me get another device for around two weeks and then it's all about luck in finding the iPhone 5 again.

2. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

There's not a way to remove the badge icon from the Settings app without updating. You could always update and then restore through iTunes back to iOS 5 if wanted, but that is more work than it's worth just to get rid of the badge icon. Plus, it would re-appear once the phone connected to the update server and noticed it was not updated.

Side note, I updated to iOS 6 on my iPhone 4(before getting the iPhone 5) and used it for a couple of days before the iPhone 5 came in, and it actually made my iPhone 4(32 gb from Verizon) run a little faster.

3. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

That's what I figured since Google turned up only jailbreak solutions, but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. Guess I'm out of luck then. No idea why Apple would do this, at least give us a way to disable it.

Thanks. :)

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

How would you accomplish this with the signing window closed?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If she doesn't have an SHSH for 5.1.1, she won't be able to roll back to it after updating. Since she doesn't jailbreak, it's unlikely that she has this - and it's too late to backup that SHSH now.

6. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

I do have my SHSH blobs stored as I was jailbroken before the iPhone 5 came out. It's just too much of a hassle to do all this for something that should be in the Notifications area. I'll only have the phone for a month, until my carrier sorts things out, so I'm avoiding doing all that work.

On an unrelated note, I'm a he. :)

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oops. Sorry about that. :)

I agree that it's annoying to not be able to dismiss that badge on a stock phone. I've hidden it in the past with the jailbreak tweak. It bugs me almost as much as the inability to hide Newsstand...

8. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

No problem, the avatar I use is kind of misleading. :p

I agree; it's these small things that you'd think should already exist that are annoying. Newsstand and Game Centre should at minimum be able to be moved into folders. Instead I have to toss them on the last page so they remain unseen.

9. Girdler

Girdler Contributor
    Bronze

You don't have to jailbreak to restore back to a previous version if iOS. You'll just have to have the ipsw file for the version you want installed on your computer. Then, shift-click on the "restore" button in iTunes and it should have you locate the file you want to restore to on your computer.

10. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

Not true at all.

Read Europa's post above about SHSH blobs...iTunes checks with Apple's servers to make sure the most current of iOS is being used using a digital signature (SHSH, or Signature Hash).

In the days of iOS4 and earlier, this was easy to get around by tricking iTunes into thinking it was talking to Apple's servers either by manually changing the hosts file, or by using the TinyUmbrella utility, as the SHSH blobs for each device and firmware version were static.

With the advent of iOS5, these blobs became dynamic...they change upon each restore. It's not as easy as it used to be.