Settings Icon missing, please help me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by croccolo, Jan 15, 2008.

1. croccolo

croccolo New Member

Hi, i installed today the application Extended Preferences (Will Strafach) and the settings icon it's now missing..... how i can restore it ?
    I tried to unistall Extended Preferences but the icon still missing.....
    Please help me.
    Thanks

2. tundra

tundra New Member
    Bronze

I upgraded to 1.1.3 jailbreaked by devteam and I am having the same issue. Its driving me nuts. I see the preferences.app folder when i connect to iPhone. Anyone have any suggestions?

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. GSA190

GSA190 Member
    Bronze

Could it be on the other page? Like flick threw the pages..idk, sometimes its the little things.

5. tundra

tundra New Member
    Bronze

nope i actually seen it move and iTunes take it's place. It is gone. Although i see the preferences.app folder still when i connect to phone through transmit.

6. GSA190

GSA190 Member
    Bronze

strange...

7. tundra

tundra New Member
    Bronze

Not so sure its strange. I am sure I must have deleted something by accident. Does not make sense though. Wonder if i could re run the 1.1.3 devteam jailbreak without downgrading back to 1.1.2 .... Perhaps that may fix the issue.

8. Prayag

Prayag New Member

Simple, Stupid but workable solution for Beginners!

Guys..I faced the same issue, wrote to Will (THE DEVELOPER OF TH F**** EXTENDED PREFS), got no response and couldnt find any help across the world wide web! So i did what i have always been doing with windows when it gives way every few months...REINSTALL!

Process takes about 15 minutes and you get fresh iPhone!

Heres what you can do:

1. SYNC (BACKUP) your iPhone! UNLESS IT doesn't HAVE ANYTHING OF USE TO YOU! ;)
    2. DOWNLOAD 1.1.1 firmware from Apple (Link Below) Its 1 150MB file so be patient.
    http://iPhone.unlock.no/#restore-firmware-files
    3. Download ZiPhone Software from http://www.downloadziPhone.org/
    YOU MIGHT REQUIRE .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0 if you already don't have it.
    4. Make Sure you have a Wi-Fi Available.
    5. Connect iPhone Via USB and Open iTunes.
    6. Press Shift+Restore and Select the downloaded file on step 2
    7. Wait for 5 minutes as the restore takes place. don't panic when an error message appears at the end. Just click ok and close iTunes.
    8. Open ZiPhone and Click on "DO IT ALL". Wait for 4-5 minutes as the Jailbreak takes place.
    9. At the end of process the phone will be jailbroken and unlocked. Now you need to connect to the Wifi
    10. On Safari open http://jailbreakme.com and download AppTapp. don't Panic if it doesn't work in 1 shot do it for a few times till it starts downloading the Installer.app.
    11. Onces downloaded, open installer.app add BigBoss Repositry and Install YouTube 1.1.1 Security Files.
    12. RESYNC your iPhone using iTUNES.
    13. BE WISE INSTALL WHAT YOU USE MOST. :)

THIS MAY NOT BE THE BEST SOLUTION. BUT IT LEFT ME WITH A BRAND NEW BROKEN PHONE THAT WORKS FASTER (LIKE A NEW INSTALL OF ANY WINDOWS) AND A LOT OF EXPERIENCE AS TO WHAT I SHOULD AND SHOULDNT INSTALL.

I HAVE DONE IT ON MY WINDOWS OS LAPTOP. I don't KNOW SH** ABOUT MAC BUT I GUESS IT WILL WORK THERE TOO! ;)

PEACE!

9. joshua Pellicer

joshua Pellicer New Member

Here's what I did.

I didn't want to wipe my ipod so I tooled around for a bit and got lucky.

Had the same problem. Here's what I did:

Download "Finder" application in Installer - Not sure of the source

Open Finder and find the little nino sign "~" a the top right and press it

Select "Library"

Select "Preferences"

Scroll down and find the three files that start with this:
    "com.apple.preferences."

Select them one at a time and press "Modify" at the bottom

You'll see "Owner" "Group" and "Everyone" lines with "Read" "Write" and "Exec" next to them. Activate all of those options so the Read Write and Exec options are blue/whatever-color-you-set-to-be-your-selection-indicator

Now go back to your "Installer" and search for "Preferences"

You may see a couple of "Extended Preferences" options... IGNORE THESE. That's what gave you this problem in the first place.

Select the "Preferences" application and install it.

That's it!

I know absolutely nothing about computers but my ipod was already screwed up so I did this to take a chance and tinker with it and it worked.

I hope it helps you too!

If it works for you please post it everywhere so people can use it. If not, oh well! :)

Best
    Joshua

10. iAttorney

iAttorney New Member
    Bronze

You guys may also want to try and install an application called "poof." It hides and unhides applications on teh springboard. I am not sure if your program actually uninstalled the settings program (probably not I am guessing). Install poof and then use the program to "unhide" the settings app. It should pop back up on the home screen. Note: poof worked great for me on jailbroken 1.1.4, so no compatibility issues.

Hope it helps.

11. Dickgra

Dickgra New Member

I found a easy way to get the home screen page back. Just move to the left of home screen and search for SETTINGS then go to general then down to reset ans chose RESET home screen layout. You can find anything on the iPhone.

Good luck

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Did you happen to notice you are responding to a 3-year-old Post!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Eric Woudenberg

Eric Woudenberg New Member

Wonderful perfect excellent advise. I lost my settings icon by moving it into a subfolder with iTunes. It never appeared in the subfolder, nor did it appear anywhere else. These simple instructions "undoes" that step and puts all your icons back at top level.

14. Golden Green

Golden Green New Member

Thanks it worked! My settings icon "disappeared" for almost two weeks  and now it's back thanks to your advise above.