Setup As New Phone

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hii Guys!!
I really want to set my 6+ up as a new phone, but I'm a little frightened that I might lose things by doing it that way. If, in fact, I choose to do it as new, will all my videos, photos, contacts, etc. still transfer to my 6+? I will receive it on this coming Thursday and want to be prepared. I've already backed up my 5 to iTunes. I've also read Chris' article on this, but still a little confused. What might I lose, if anything? Thanks in advance. Cheers!?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Restoring from an iCloud backup and syncing iCloud content are two separate things. There is a remote possibility that you could experience problems if you apply a 7.x iCloud backup to a new phone running 8.0, but there is no possibly of problems from just syncing content. After you set it up as a new device, log into iCloud and make sure all the toggles are on. Your contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc. will all appear on the new phone as soon as you log in.

You can get your music, videos and apps on the new device by syncing with iTunes on your computer. If you don't have a computer, you'll have to download all of it from the cloud.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Restoring from an iCloud backup and syncing iCloud content are two separate things. There is a remote possibility that you could experience problems if you apply a 7.x iCloud backup to a new phone running 8.0, but there is no possibly of problems from just syncing content. After you set it up as a new device, log into iCloud and make sure all the toggles are on. Your contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc. will all appear on the new phone as soon as you log in.

You can get your music, videos and apps on the new device by syncing with iTunes on your computer. If you don't have a computer, you'll have to download all of it from the cloud.

Thank you, Europa!! I may just do it the old way. I know.......I'm a chicken, but have done it that way since the first phone. Thanks again!! Cheers!!

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I should have specified that I'm talking about apps where the info is stored on the phone via the app, not on the app's servers.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Anything specific? I know some you backup on Dropbox or something similar then restore on the new device.