Setup As New Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by topcat84, Sep 23, 2014.

1. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Hii Guys!!
    I really want to set my 6+ up as a new phone, but I'm a little frightened that I might lose things by doing it that way. If, in fact, I choose to do it as new, will all my videos, photos, contacts, etc. still transfer to my 6+? I will receive it on this coming Thursday and want to be prepared. I've already backed up my 5 to iTunes. I've also read Chris' article on this, but still a little confused. What might I lose, if anything? Thanks in advance. Cheers!?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Restoring from an iCloud backup and syncing iCloud content are two separate things. There is a remote possibility that you could experience problems if you apply a 7.x iCloud backup to a new phone running 8.0, but there is no possibly of problems from just syncing content. After you set it up as a new device, log into iCloud and make sure all the toggles are on. Your contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc. will all appear on the new phone as soon as you log in.

You can get your music, videos and apps on the new device by syncing with iTunes on your computer. If you don't have a computer, you'll have to download all of it from the cloud.

3. topcat84

topcat84 Contributor
    Bronze

Thank you, Europa!! I may just do it the old way. I know.......I'm a chicken, but have done it that way since the first phone. Thanks again!! Cheers!!

4. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

Is it possible to set up a phone as new and transfer apps back to the device but maintain the saved info on the app?

Sent from my iPhone 5

5. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Probably depends on the app

6. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

I should have specified that I'm talking about apps where the info is stored on the phone via the app, not on the app's servers.

Sent from my iPhone 5

7. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Anything specific? I know some you backup on Dropbox or something similar then restore on the new device.

8. Hinezy

Hinezy Contributor
    Silver

iDiscrete, it's an app that allows you to hide private pics, videos and text the app appears to be a note app.

Sent from my iPhone 5