Several Chirps on Charger Cable Connection

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Over the past several days, after I connect my iPhone 5 to the OEM charge cable, it keeps making the connection chirp several times. I'm not touching the cable. I'm jailbroken. I haven't installed any new App Store or Cydia apps.

Any suggestions. Thanks!

Sent using iCafe app

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Does the chirping stop after a while and does the phone then charge properly? Does this happen with other chargers/cords you may have for the phone? Try using another cord and charger and if it only happens with the original cord/charger combination I would blame that cord and or charger. If it happens with other chargers and cords then that would point more toward the phone as the cause of the problem. A little more information would be helpful.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've had this happen with one of my Mophie chargers. It was continuously doing it with my Lightning cable that's a little frayed, so I have that one boxed up and ready to exchange at the Apple Store next time I'm there. A couple weeks ago it was doing it again with a newer cable. I charged the charger (it was a little low) and did a hard reset on the phone and it was fine. I think this particular charger is sensitive to doing that.

Anyway, I'd suggest getting a new cable from Apple if it continues.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Both are OEM cords. The car one uses a Griffin USB charger. The home one uses the OEM wall charger. I'll try a hard reset before going to the Apple store, right?

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I did the hard reset and thought it worked. Than I bumped the lightning cable near the bottom of the iPhone and it started again. Could it be the cable or the iPhone?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I did the hard reset and thought it worked. Than I bumped the lightning cable near the bottom of the iPhone and it started again. Could it be the cable or the iPhone?
I'm not sure. It's happened to me with two different cables. Mine was doing the same thing again this afternoon. Again, only with the Mophie powerstation. It's dual-USB and it stopped doing it when I unplugged the Bluetooth headset from the other port.

Try another outlet or USB port if it starts doing it again.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
My guess is that it's the phone itself if its doing this with different cables and in multiple outlets. Try looking inside your charging port to see if there's any debris you can clear out of there, otherwise you may have to take a trip to the Apple store (could be a loose connection inside the phone).

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4 and found that (somehow) there was some melted chocolate from a candy bar stuck in my charging port. Cleaned out carefuly with toothpicks and cotton swabs and it was good to go. Good luck! Keep us updated...

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
My guess is that it's the phone itself if its doing this with different cables and in multiple outlets. Try looking inside your charging port to see if there's any debris you can clear out of there, otherwise you may have to take a trip to the Apple store (could be a loose connection inside the phone).

I had the same problem with my iPhone 4 and found that (somehow) there was some melted chocolate from a candy bar stuck in my charging port. Cleaned out carefuly with toothpicks and cotton swabs and it was good to go. Good luck! Keep us updated...
I'll use compressed air and blow it out first.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Canned compressed air I hope. Anything else may be too high of a pressure or contain moisture or debris that could do damage.

Sent using my iPhone 5

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Canned compressed air I hope. Anything else may be too high of a pressure or contain moisture or debris that could do damage.

Sent using my iPhone 5
Yup. I did that at home and it seems to work okay. But in the car it's still doing it. If it starts at home again, than it's the iPhone. One way or another I'm going to the Genius bar with my iPhone and one or two cables for replacement.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I'm not sure. It's happened to me with two different cables. Mine was doing the same thing again this afternoon. Again, only with the Mophie powerstation. It's dual-USB and it stopped doing it when I unplugged the Bluetooth headset from the other port.

Try another outlet or USB port if it starts doing it again.
It's the phone. Just came from Apple. I need to backup and restore, than make another appt. I'm going to lose my jailbreak. I'm so pissed.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's 100% pointless to take a phone into Apple jailbroken. The final troubleshooting step with any problem of this sort is a factory restore in iTunes, preferably a DFU restore. If you haven't factory restored, you haven't completed the troubleshooting and the phone isn't ready to be returned. The only exception to this rule is if restores repeatedly fail.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
It's 100% pointless to take a phone into Apple jailbroken. The final troubleshooting step with any problem of this sort is a factory restore in iTunes, preferably a DFU restore. If you haven't factory restored, you haven't completed the troubleshooting and the phone isn't ready to be returned. The only exception to this rule is if restores repeatedly fail.
If I restore as above, I lose my jailbreak, right?

Sent using iCafe app

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Did you go to your appointment with a jailbroken iPhone?
I had no appt. I did a walk in and one if the techs helped me out. He told me to make an appt and back everything up. I read on here that it's ok to bring it in jailbroken. Just that if I need it replaced I'd have to restore to factory.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I had no appt. I did a walk in and one if the techs helped me out. He told me to make an appt and back everything up. I read on here that it's ok to bring it in jailbroken. Just that if I need it replaced I'd have to restore to factory.
No, it's not okay. If you take it in jailbroken and tell them about the problem, the first thing they will ask you is if you restored it to troubleshoot the problem. If you haven't done that, they will ask you to restore it. If the problem persists, they'll exchange it. It's a waste of a trip if you don't do that first.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
No, it's not okay. If you take it in jailbroken and tell them about the problem, the first thing they will ask you is if you restored it to troubleshoot the problem. If you haven't done that, they will ask you to restore it. If the problem persists, they'll exchange it. It's a waste of a trip if you don't do that first.
I feel like your reprimanding me. I'm not an adolescent. I'm an a-dult. You don't know the whole story and I take offense to this post. If I want to waste my time, it's my businesss. But, it was not a waste of time, as I was at the mall for another reason and was taken right away as a walk in. There was no waiting. I never made an appt.

They never told me to restore. The tech told me to back everything up and make an appt to have it replaced. I mentioned that I should restore before coming back and he said yes.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I feel like your reprimanding me. I'm not an adolescent. I'm an a-dult. You don't know the whole story and I take offense to this post. If I want to waste my time, it's my businesss. But, it was not a waste of time, as I was at the mall for another reason and was taken right away as a walk in. There was no waiting. I never made an appt.

They never told me to restore. The tech told me to back everything up and make an appt to have it replaced. I mentioned that I should restore before coming back and he said yes.
I was just disagreeing with what someone else told you. I feel like I know the story as I've been following your updates on this problem. I'll stop replying after this one since you're offended by my feedback and advice. Good luck with your phone.