Share Your "iPhone (Saved My Ass)" Stories

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Sandman

Oct 8, 2007
Ok. We've all seen the commericials. If not, go here http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad13/

Anyho, I was sitting there with my wife last night, and she asks me am I'm going to have a story like one of these in a few days after I purchase mine. (Getting an iPhone and Leopard next Friday, the 26th. Let's celebrate!:laugh2:

Do any of you guys have any stories that rival the ones delivered in the ads? If so, share. I'm aware this may be a repost, but humor me. I want to get amped for my purchase.

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
Saved from boredom

Ok. We've all seen the commericials. If not, go here http://www.apple.com/iphone/ads/ad13/

Anyho, I was sitting there with my wife last night, and she asks me am I'm going to have a story like one of these in a few days after I purchase mine. (Getting an iPhone and Leopard next Friday, the 26th. Let's celebrate!:laugh2:

Do any of you guys have any stories that rival the ones delivered in the ads? If so, share. I'm aware this may be a repost, but humor me. I want to get amped for my purchase.
My campus has free wifi access everywhere, so when I am in lecture I play to my hearts content. I know it isn't "saving my ass" but it sure beats the monotoned soliloquy from a fosilized man who spends a few hours regailing in his past instead of teaching.

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
it hasn't saved my ass but its saved my buddy's ass many times when he was out past his his curfew and had to check in with his wife.

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
it hasn't saved my ass but its saved my buddy's ass many times when he was out past his his curfew and had to check in with his wife.
haha, it sounds funny when you put it in those terms... What married man has a curfew? Sounds more like he has to check in with his mom. I am a woman, and not married so maybe it is common to say curfew. :laugh2:

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
haha, it sounds funny when you put it in those terms... What married man has a curfew? Sounds more like he has to check in with his mom. I am a woman, and not married so maybe it is common to say curfew. :laugh2:

Once ya get married you'll know.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I'm still in High School (which lacks the freedom of college), where iPods are allowed and cell phones are not. Somedays are particularly boring, and I call my parents to come sign me out. I simply plug in the iPhone headphones and pretend I'm having a discussion with one of my friends who is sitting next to me. The teachers never suspect the iPod headphones they've seen for years now have a microphone in them. :) I could seriously call and have half-hour conversations without being suspected of anything. In addition, I can text my friends out openly on top of the desk and it looks as if I'm just fishing around for a song on my iPod (I'll put my headphones in my ears, even if there is no music).

It's all in the headphones.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Somedays are particularly boring, and I call my parents to come sign me out.
When I was growing up if I did this when I got home I would have been beaten to a pulp for not being at school learning what is being taught regardless if I was bored. Would your parents really sign you out?

overbo0st2k4

Bronze
Oct 17, 2007

I was in an emergency and needed to somehow get in touch with my brother who was 4 hours away...

I picked up my iPhone and called him.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I was in the toilet last night and I ran out of paper. So guess what I used? Yup, and it didn't even mark the unit as being water ruined. Guess I should clean it up now, it's kind of smelling.

chevychic55

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
OC Cali
When I was growing up if I did this when I got home I would have been beaten to a pulp for not being at school learning what is being taught regardless if I was bored. Would your parents really sign you out?
When I was in high school (i'm 23 now) my mom would love for me to stay home with her. I was absent 67 times in one semester (semester, not year). I was averaging once a week attendance because I would only go on softball game days (CIF rules say you have to attend 4 classes to play in a game). I would attend every practice after school, just not classes. The school couldn't really do anyhting because I had the 4th best gpa in my class of 450 people. I graduated with a 4.31 gpa and got highest honors. All of my friends thought I was a meat head jock... were they surprised when i got up on stage and gave a speech at graduation (top 5 students give speeches). They always wondered why i never had the same classes as them, well it was because I had all AP classes.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
My parents signed me out just today. Why? They trust I know what I'm doing. Which I do - I'm entirely self motivated. I wouldn't leave if I thought I'd miss something. I'm on super honor roll, in two AP classes (which are college classes of which I receive college credit), and my remaining classes are all Honors. I don't take anything easy, I replaced Badminton with college Cultural Anthropology. I'm part of BETA club and Mock Trial, and run varsity track.

I leave when I'm bored (when I deem it's reasonable), I generally don't study, and I do my homework right before school starts. As long as I make the grades, I see no problem with that.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
When I was in high school (i'm 23 now) my mom would love for me to stay home with her. I was absent 67 times in one semester (semester, not year). I was averaging once a week attendance because I would only go on softball game days (CIF rules say you have to attend 4 classes to play in a game). I would attend every practice after school, just not classes. The school couldn't really do anyhting because I had the 4th best gpa in my class of 450 people. I graduated with a 4.31 gpa and got highest honors. All of my friends thought I was a meat head jock... were they surprised when i got up on stage and gave a speech at graduation (top 5 students give speeches). They always wondered why i never had the same classes as them, well it was because I had all AP classes.
Same page. :cool:

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I used my iPhone while out of town to find directions to an outlet mall. At that mall I found some awesome deals including an $80 Stella Mcartney for Adidas gym tank on clearance at Adias outlet for about $12. I am still excired about that.:)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
... I generally don't study, and I do my homework right before school starts. As long as I make the grades, I see no problem with that.
As a former AP student myself, let me just say that old habits are hard to break. Best of luck trying to wing it that way in college.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
As a former AP student myself, let me just say that old habits are hard to break. Best of luck trying to wing it that way in college.
Ditto.
I wanted to say this, but could not find a way to word it that did not sound un-nice. Freshman year in college was a wake up call for me, although I did not sign out of HS because I was bored. My parents would not have that! All my friends were in school, anyway. I had band practice and clubs after school all the time.

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Ditto.
I wanted to say this, but could not find a way to word it that did not sound un-nice. Freshman year in college was a wake up call for me, although I did not sign out of HS because I was bored. My parents would not have that! All my friends were in school, anyway. I had band practice and clubs after school all the time.
Let me clarify the leaving thing. I only leave when I know it will not affect my performance, and I'm bored fully aware my staying will not be beneficial. I strive to make near perfect grades, and if I decide my leaving will possibly result in me missing learning something, leaving won't cross my mind. Me and my parents have a close relationship, and they trust me to use my own good judgment before I ask them anything.

And for the record, if you ever catch me with that behavior in college, I can guarantee you I will have superb grades. This is no "habit", it's me not wasting my free time at home studying for a test I know I've already aced. I'll study if necessary. But thanks for the heads up x999x and Kokogirl, I appreciate the concern none the less.

pierce the veil

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
I had a political science exam today with an essay on the second American political party system, which i knew nothing about, so i casually searched it on wikipedia and remembered all the important facts. All this ten minutes before the exam, and i feel i did really well on the essay =]

oh, and the iflashcards helped me out on the multiple choice =D!

Oct 19, 2007
I'm still in High School (which lacks the freedom of college), where iPods are allowed and cell phones are not. Somedays are particularly boring, and I call my parents to come sign me out. I simply plug in the iPhone headphones and pretend I'm having a discussion with one of my friends who is sitting next to me. The teachers never suspect the iPod headphones they've seen for years now have a microphone in them. :) I could seriously call and have half-hour conversations without being suspected of anything. In addition, I can text my friends out openly on top of the desk and it looks as if I'm just fishing around for a song on my iPod (I'll put my headphones in my ears, even if there is no music).

It's all in the headphones.
I would bet that your GPA is in the sewer, Why not drop out? Put the phone down youngster and feed that brain of yours with some knowledge. Your parents sign you out? They must have a smaller brain than you.

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
Okay, let's right this ship back in the direction of its initial intent:

When I went on vacation this past August, I had just gotten my iPhone and it was SO helpful.

During the flight, did I read Skymall? Nope, listened to some music on the iPod.

Directions - boom - right there. Made navigating an unfamiliar city much easier. Hmm, there's a restaruant. Is it any good? Let's look up some quick reviews on Google - okay, this place looks good. I wonder what the weather's going to be tomorrow? Let's check the weather.

We saw some awesome sights on the vacation. I didn't bring a camera, though. But, I brought my iPhone! It took great pictures, and I was able to e-mail them on the spot to my jealous friends and coworkers - who needs postcards?

Oh yeah. It makes phone calls and text messages too.

I hope that gets you salivating about your upcoming purchase. The iPhone truly is a wonderful device.