Shared App Questions

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Ok, so my question is this.... When the new iPhone comes out in June i will be updating and giving my 3g to my girlfriend. Even if there is no update i think she will get one either way.

If i purchase say a £5 app on the iPhone and then sync with iTunes, the app sits in my app folder on iTunes. If my girlfriend then wants that app on her phone, can she just sync with my iTunes? Then when all my app's etc are on her device can she take her iPhone to her computer and transfer all purchases to her iTunes? Would this then transfer all the apps i had paid for to her iTunes account, as if she had bought them? I don't want her using my iTunes account to sync her iPhone, but she would most likely want my paid apps, such as Colorsplash!?

Thanks

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
She can sync with your iTunes and get your apps, but as soon as she syncs with a different iTunes acct, they will go away. The apps, paid or free, on your phone are linked to your iTunes acct. If she is gonna have her own iTunes acct...she is gonna have to buy them herself.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
thanks, that answers it then. so 2 iPhones cant be synced to one account, but she cant transfer her "purchases" to her own account!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
thanks, that answers it then. so 2 iPhones cant be synced to one account, but she cant transfer her "purchases" to her own account!
Here is another way... You need a jumpdrive or CD. Copy your applications (and whatever else) to the removable media, and install in the proper folder on her PC. Then Authorize yourself on her PC's iTunes. That way she can get the best of both worlds. She can make purchases under her own account and still sync with your apps.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Wait, Hawk... you can sync your iPhone to more than one iTunes account at a time? This is news to me, or am I reading you wrong?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Wait, Hawk... you can sync your iPhone to more than one iTunes account at a time? This is news to me, or am I reading you wrong?
As far as I know, it's working for my wife. Now you have me wondering though...
What I did on her machine was set her up on iTunes with her ID and everything, then I brough over everything, sync'd and when somethings were listed as not authorized for her account, I authorized my account on the box and everything went smoothly.
I do know that it still recognized the iPod touch as her's, and when she went to iTunes, she logged in as herself...
Dammit dave, now I have to go see if it actually is working.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My bad. :)

I am quite curious, though. My wife and I share my account, which is no problem for us, but I do like to know my options

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Im interested in this option too.... id rather have 2 separate accounts, but if i purchase an app that she wants, id like to be able to transfer it into her applications folder on her iTunes account for her to sync with....

Looking forward to the update on whether it works! ;)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Sorry, I wasn't able to test it last night. My wife was asleep from before I got home, and I didn't know where her Touch was, so I had to skip testing. I'm not about to sync mine, because I would screw up my contacts and calendar, so I will try again tonight.
I will say this, I do know that even though my account is authorized on her machine, when she makes a purchase or redeems a gift card, it's always under her own account, and by that I mean it comes up and asks just for her password, and not my account info.