Shared Data from AT&T- will you save?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
I'm paying about $210/ mo for my family:
me- iPhone 4 unlimited data (rarely use more than 2g)
wife- dumb phone (10 mo data usage)
daughter ip4s 3 gb
son dumb phone
unlimited text/700 minutes (never come close to using these)

the way I calculate it, the new shared data plan 4gbwould be the same. If I get my wife an iPhone and go to 6gb it's actully go down a little bit but I'd lose unltd.

hmfc-1874

Contributor
Silver
Sep 10, 2011
USA networks sounds like they are such pains.

So many different plans and every little thing you might do seems to change another part of your current contract/Tariff.

Over here in UK,
I get my phone contract mins/texts Internet (unlimited)from my contact
And the speeds are 3-9 mpbs
For £25 per months

2000 mins to any UK network
5000 Mins 3-3 UK
4000 texts
All you can eat Data (truly unlimited and fast Internet)

If my network tried to f3ck me over how I hear some of the USA networks work, I would rage !

SMELTN

Bronze
Feb 15, 2010
I am trying to find the real chart to compare. I pay $174 now. Thats for:
700 mins, unlimited text
Me - ip4s - unlimited
Wife - iPhone 4 - 2 gig
Mother - dumb phone
Daughter - dumb phone

What I would like to do is, when the iPhone 5 comes out. I get it, give my wife the 4s and give my daughter the 4, but I really want to know the price of that with the "shared plan" I know we will need at least 6gig

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
I just did it on the other thread ......I have an unlimited plan so it's not 100% compartible I went from my usage and added a bid
$220 is about what I pay now. With AT&T and I'd pay the same and so with Verizon if I was going to switch. All phones would get hotspots while now only mine has the option added on

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Did I read correctly that those shared plans are going to have "unlimited" talk? Will it be truly unlimited, or will it be AT&T Unlimited™, like their data plan?

I guess voice phone calls are being slowly phased out, and AT&T feels comfortable offering unlimited minutes. Just a couple years ago, I remember having to wait until 9pm to talk because of restrictions on daytime minutes.

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
OMG remember those days ?
With AT&T Mobile Share plans, customers start by choosing how much data they want each month, then choose up to 10 devices to attach to their shared plan, one of which must be a smartphone. Each plan includes tethering and unlimited domestic calls and texts for smartphones and basic or quick messaging phones. The larger the data bucket you choose, the less you pay per gigabyte and the less you pay for each smartphone added to the shared plan.

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
My wife and I have Verizon unlimited data. We don't use more then a gig between the both of us, and never use more then 200 minutes a month. Everyone we know and call are Verizon. When I called Verizon about the shared plan they pushed it real hard. After thinking about, Verizon would make out very well. We lose unlimited and only save 15 dollars a month. It's a scam.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
My daughter is dying for me to upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out so she can get my 4 so I may end up switching to a shared plan with 3 out of 5 lines on an iPhone. I'll re-evaluate in October.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
My daughter is dying for me to upgrade to the new iPhone when it comes out so she can get my 4 so I may end up switching to a shared plan with 3 out of 5 lines on an iPhone. I'll re-evaluate in October.
I have not decided if I switch before new phone or with the new phones.
We are getting 2 new phones 1 line has been ready the other will be the 3rd goes till may next yeaar

Current customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension. There are no changes to AT&T's device upgrade policy, which means customers eligible to upgrade to AT&T's best device price are not required to switch plans. The new plans will also be available for businesss customers.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I have not decided if I switch before new phone or with the new phones.
We are getting 2 new phones 1 line has been ready the other will be the 3rd goes till may next yeaar

Current customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension. There are no changes to AT&T's device upgrade policy, which means customers eligible to upgrade to AT&T's best device price are not required to switch plans. The new plans will also be available for businesss customers.
I checked out the pricing a little further and it would be cheaper to get my daughter the 3 gigs of data with my discount then share a data plan. We only have 700 minutes between 5 lines and still have about 3500 roll over minutes so we don't require the unlimited talk. All our talk time is cell to cell so we never burn up our minutes.

SMELTN

Bronze
Feb 15, 2010
I checked out the pricing a little further and it would be cheaper to get my daughter the 3 gigs of data with my discount then share a data plan. We only have 700 minutes between 5 lines and still have about 3500 roll over minutes so we don't require the unlimited talk. All our talk time is cell to cell so we never burn up our minutes.
You are in the exact same place we are. Want to give my daughter the iPhone 4 and it's cheaper just to get her a data plan as add a line. Btw what are they thinking at $35 for a smart phone and $30 for a dumb phone. Really $5 cheaper ?

jfleming01

Bronze
Apr 29, 2009
You are in the exact same place we are. Want to give my daughter the iPhone 4 and it's cheaper just to get her a data plan as add a line. Btw what are they thinking at $35 for a smart phone and $30 for a dumb phone. Really $5 cheaper ?
they want to encourage... er... force you to buy smart phones

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Wait a minute you do not get a discount with the new plan?

We have 700 minutes and tons roll over and we have no homephone
But at the moment hubby is on the old tier low 200 mb plan adventually he will need a bid more

I have the hotspot 4gb plan which I never use 4Gb but I do use the Hotspot and I can only get it with a higher GB plans
son uses most (specially now not having any friends and no school ) he got the unlimited
we got unlimited family text
we also get a discount

1st phone
60 voice
30 text
15 data

2nd phone
10 add
45 data & hotspot

3rd phone
10 add
30 unlimited

total $105 +$55+$40+ $200

New plan has 10 GB with all getting hotspots
$120 + 90 total $210 (we never had used over 8GB combined)

Or 6GB +$15 each additional if we need it
$95+$105=$200 (that is about our regular combined use)

I am switching if FT is included and pay $10 more for us all to share I get on it now before they raise the price like they did with the Tier system .......I doubt they have unlimited for the new iPhone being 4G LTE anyway.