Shared Photo Stream Photos Mystery.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ledsteplin, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Ok, so I toggle on "shared photo stream" for the first time ever. I think. This is a new feature, right? Anyway, I toggle it on and find I have a few photos there. ? It says I posted them in January of 2013. I had my iPhone 4 then. They are old photos of my parents, and the album is titled, "parents". Where would I have posted those photos where they now show on Shared Photo Stream?

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Is the iOS 8 section one no one can see? This issue really bothers me! Does anyone have a clue?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not a new feature. You must have started the Photostream a couple years ago and then forgotten about it. You won't see it if it's toggled off. You can select "people" at the bottom of the screen to see who you invited to view your Photostream.

4. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

I just feel disorganized. Logged into iPhoto on my MacBook Pro (late 2011). Was looking through the photo stream on there and there are a ton of photos I can't see on my new iPhone 6. I'm not using iCloud Drive on anything. Just wondering bc I thought my photo stream would be unified across phone iPad and MacBook. Was happy to find them though.

5. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

To further, my MacBooks photo stream has photos ranging back to 09/2011. My iPhone 6 collections start 04/2013. I also am obsessive about deleting things from stream that I only want on my device. Not sure how to do this now. Maybe I should just leave it all alone and hope when everything comes into fruition, it'll make more sense.

6. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Sorry. One more thing. These photos are not taking up iCloud storage assuming this is because it's still part of the 1000 not a part of the cloud storage. BUT I thought now everything would be in cloud, no 1000 limit, and would be part of storage allowance.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My Photo Stream is not storage. It streams your photos from one device to another. The photos on My Photo Stream only stay there 30 days. Then they delete. Shared Photo Stream is storage. photo Library is storage.

8. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Right I get it but why does the MacBook show more than the iPhone?

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

So far the "Photos app" seems to be a mess. Nobody I know really understands whats going on.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I understand it, I just liked it better the way it was. Sometimes a major change doesn't go over so well. Think "New Coke". It confused many people. Rumor from those on iOS 8.1 beta say the camera roll is coming back. That's rumor at this point, but it makes sense given the confusion and dislike by so many. We'll see.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Are the devices on the same wifi? Is it "my photo stream" or "shared Photo stream"? Check your computer and your phone. Put them both on Shared Photo Stream. Each device has to OK that. Or something. If it's My Photo Stream, and both devices are turned on to that and on the same wifi, you should see the photos on both.

12. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

It's my photo stream. Everything's set correctly. Just not there on phone same amount as comp. can't figure it out. Important thing is I didn't lose stuff it's just not everywhere.

13. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Photos on My Photo Stream delete after 30 days. Perhaps some have already done so on the phone. If they are now stored on the computer, then they will not delete from there. Are they saved to the computer? Or maybe they haven't been on the computer 30 days. I'm grasping at straws here. Does any of that make sense?

14. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Makes sense but I don't think they could be on the phone 30 days bc phone is new. I'll just be happy that I've got it all in one place or another and keep an eye from here on out. Thanks as always

15. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If it's a new phone, where did the photos come from?

16. Bunk009

Bunk009 Member
    Bronze

Logging into iCloud. It says I have 600 on the device. But I've never loaded photos onto the new 6.

17. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

They were on your computer? Were they backed up to iCloud? I don't know. The main thing for now is if you want those photos, make sure you save them somewhere. Computer, on the phone in Dropbox or Shared Photo Stream, Box...somewhere. Then figure the rest out later.