Sharing App Store links with international users

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Rafagon, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

If I post a link to an app on the App Store (I'm in the US), and a user outside of the US clicks on it, will he/she be directed to the corresponding App Store page for the appropriate country?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I use 2 App stores US and German (I have an address and use paypal)
    not all apps are avaiable in all countries

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

So if I wanted to share the direct link to an app with someone in another country, then if their country also has the app, will the link be of any help to them, or should I just tell them to search for such and such?

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I am not certain . If you post a link for an App in the US store it opens in the US store, Then when you try to buy it it will say you are not authorized to buy from that store.
    It would make sense to tell them the search options.
    I wonder so if I could gift an App to someone outside of the US ?

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Apparently this isn't possible...

Apple should work on this. It would mean more sales for them, obviously. Maybe not huge numbers. Apple is good at finding money-earning potential from every nook and cranny, so they should be able to pull it off. Check out the article from which I pulled the quote below:

openquote.jpg There are a few things to keep in mind, most importantly that both you and the gift recipient must be on the same regional App Store.
    For example, a friend on the French App Store won’t be able to accept the app I bought them on the US store. cloequote3.jpg

Maybe legal issues are getting in the way?

Interestingly, the same article points out something I wasn't aware of: You can no longer gift apps via your iOS device. You have to go to the iTunes store on your Mac or PC.

7. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

It's been this way since gifting applications first came out. I tried to gift Whatsapp to, Tarek but it wouldn't allow it because I was sending an app from a British account to an Egyptian account.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

We just can't win. I had a spare stylus that I shipped to Tarek three years ago since he couldn't purchase one there and it never arrived. (n)

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

It's a legal issue.
    Like I said I have an german Apple account too. But some Apps (mostly TV) will still not work living in the US.
    I should try to turn of location service and see if that makes a difference?
    So even if you are US citizen if you go on vacation to some other country some Apps (mainly media type) will not work.