Sharing Apps on a Family Plan

Jul 31, 2008
I think I know the answer, but is there an ability share apps across multiple iPhones under the same family plan.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
App ownership isn't determined by the cell phone plan you're on, but the account to which they're synced in iTunes. If you sync all of the iPhones in your home to the same iTunes account, then all of them can indeed share all the apps purchased with that account...

rmfnla

Bronze
I've shared a few of my apps with others by forwarding a link from iTunes. Somewhere along the way I saw a notice that said I could install the app on up to 5 separate phones.

I can't remember if this was with all apps or just free ones (but if they are free why would it matter?).

Anyone else experience this?

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I've shared a few of my apps with others by forwarding a link from iTunes. Somewhere along the way I saw a notice that said I could install the app on up to 5 separate phones.

I can't remember if this was with all apps or just free ones (but if they are free why would it matter?).

You can authorize your iTunes music (and purchased apps) to work with up to 5 different computers. This is intended to allow multiple users in the same household (a family) to share media if they'd like.

If you share your iTunes password with others, keep in mind that they could access your account and possibly make purchases without your authorization.

thelarster

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
Midland, MI
www.teamweideman.com

How do you forward a link in iTunes? So does it contain your pwd?

Owgasm

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
You don't forward a link.

Just send your password and account to your friend/family member and get them to click "buy" on the application you have already purchased and it will say, you have already purchased this... and tell you the number of authorized devices on the app.

:)

rmfnla

Bronze
Wow, you sound pretty certain. I hope you don't mind if I actually answer the question...

In iTunes I went to the Applications section and right-clicked the application I wanted to send and chose Show in Windows Explorer.

This opens a Windows file list of the applications; I right-clicked the one I wanted and clicked Copy.

I then pasted it into an e-mail (control v) and it came up as an attachment. When my friend opened it up it appeared in his iTunes account. He did need my password but since we are in the same office I just typed it in while he looked away (hopefully) and he was able to load it into hi iPhone.

Cheers.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Wow, you sound pretty certain. I hope you don't mind if I actually answer the question...

In iTunes I went to the Applications section and right-clicked the application I wanted to send and chose Show in Windows Explorer.

This opens a Windows file list of the applications; I right-clicked the one I wanted and clicked Copy.

I then pasted it into an e-mail (control v) and it came up as an attachment. When my friend opened it up it appeared in his iTunes account. He did need my password but since we are in the same office I just typed it in while he looked away (hopefully) and he was able to load it into hi iPhone.

Cheers.
I think if he used your password then his computer is going to be one of the 5 authorized computers for your iTunes account. Macgirl can correct me if I am wrong.

You sure are nice to share your apps. Maybe you should work in my office.:)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I think if he used your password then his computer is going to be one of the 5 authorized computers for your iTunes account. Macgirl can correct me if I am wrong.
You are absolutely correct! :)

rmfnla said:

Technically, Owgasm is right - you didn't send the link, you sent the actual app to your friend as an attachment in an email, based on what you yourself described. And entering your password into your friend's system means his is now authorized as one of the 5 total computers than can use music and apps from your iTunes library, as Kokogirl said.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
you don't need cydia. You can get any app for free. Just google it...
oh your talking about pirating apps... why wouldn't you pay the devs for their hard work? id understand if it was sumtin stupid like the i am rich app lol but theyre are many apps that are actually worth something.

rmfnla

Bronze

You sure are nice to share your apps. Maybe you should work in my office.:)

I am nice but remember, I didn't give him my password, I typed it into his computer for this specific download.

Still, if I can share an app with four people why not do so? I only have one iPhone so why not share the extra with others?

What do you do in your office? Oh wait, you live in Florida. No offense but I've had enough bugs and humidity (I grew up there, rememeber?)

rmfnla

Bronze
Technically, Owgasm is right - you didn't send the link, you sent the actual app to your friend as an attachment in an email, based on what you yourself described. And entering your password into your friend's system means his is now authorized as one of the 5 total computers than can use music and apps from your iTunes library, as Kokogirl said.
Thanks for the clarification to both you and Owgasm.

Ohmster

Silver
Jan 26, 2008
SoCal
Mac: You are not limited to having all the family members use one mac account. I have all family members on separate accounts. Whatever you buy under any iTunes account can be copied from one user's iTunes directory to another. I believe the limit is 5.

So, when I purchased SplashID and SplashShopper for me and the wife, I just copied the apps from my folder to hers. Same deal with free apps. The only issue is that the updater won't work for anyone other than the original purchaser. It will tell you updates are available but, won't let you access them. No biggie. Just copy the latest from the purchaser's folder. We keep it simple. I buy all the apps and then update her iPhone as needed.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am nice but remember, I didn't give him my password, I typed it into his computer for this specific download.

Still, if I can share an app with four people why not do so? I only have one iPhone so why not share the extra with others?

What do you do in your office? Oh wait, you live in Florida. No offense but I've had enough bugs and humidity (I grew up there, rememeber?)
Rich-you forgot the tropical storms and hurricanes to go with the bugs and humidity! ;)