Sharing file with someone via iCloud storage

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by Rafagon, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have placed a file on my iDisk that I would like to share with a friend. Previously, one could obtain the link to share a file via me.com. I have just now noticed that the iDisk management icon is not in icloud.com.

I tried navigating to me.com/idisk, but it just throws me back into the login screen for iCloud. Going to icloud.com/idisk didn't work either.

How can I get the link to this file I uploaded to my iDisk so that I can give the link to someone and they can get this file from me? The file is too big to e-mail as an attachment, which is the reason I need to do it via iDisk.

If this function is no longer available via iCloud (and I think that's the case), what file-sharing service would you guys recommend?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You could try DropBox.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I second Dropbox. iCloud is great, but having Dropbox just makes life easier. You can upload a file to Dropbox into your public folder, doing this will create a link which you can email so the file can be downloaded elsewhere.

I use Dropbox all the time, I have it on my Win Server, iMac, MBP, iPad and iPhones. You get 2Gb of free space when you sign up! If I refer you, I get an extra 500mb. If you fancy it, reply here or PM me and I'll send you the link.

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Gentlemen, thank you, I got it and I love it. Obtaining the public URL to share a file with a friend seems even quicker than how it used to be on iCloud, when iCloud still allowed that function (i.e., when it was still me.com).

iPhonewarrior, I just read your comment now, so I've already signed up, but I see no reason why I can't scrub my account and start fresh with a referral from you. I've only uploaded (synced) two files thus far. DM me the link, for sure. :)

Rafael

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Here you go: http://db.tt/gM9t0rdO

You will have to use a different login email address that you used last time or it won't work. I believe you get extra space too when referred. All you have to do is create an account, download Dropbox on your desktop and login. :)

FYI - the link I've shared is a public referral link from my account, so if more than one of you wants to use it that would be awesome!

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks, here I go...

BTW... "more than one of me...?" Is that a nice way of saying I have multiple personality disorder!? :D

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hey... who is John, sorry?

My avatar is a pic of me taken by the Mafia when I was suffering from delusions of persecution (a result of schizophrenia combined with a mysterious build-up of vitamin B12 in the left hemisphere of my brain). I honestly haven't suffered from multiple-personality disorder since 1805, although I could see why you would think that by looking at that avatar.

Cheers!

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

#7 Rafagon, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hey gentlemen, how can I change my screen name on eiC to a handle? I can't seem to find the option... I even disassociated my FB account but that did not help.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Speak to Chris :p