Sharing file with someone via iCloud storage

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I have placed a file on my iDisk that I would like to share with a friend. Previously, one could obtain the link to share a file via me.com. I have just now noticed that the iDisk management icon is not in icloud.com.

I tried navigating to me.com/idisk, but it just throws me back into the login screen for iCloud. Going to icloud.com/idisk didn't work either.

How can I get the link to this file I uploaded to my iDisk so that I can give the link to someone and they can get this file from me? The file is too big to e-mail as an attachment, which is the reason I need to do it via iDisk.

If this function is no longer available via iCloud (and I think that's the case), what file-sharing service would you guys recommend?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I second Dropbox. iCloud is great, but having Dropbox just makes life easier. You can upload a file to Dropbox into your public folder, doing this will create a link which you can email so the file can be downloaded elsewhere.

I use Dropbox all the time, I have it on my Win Server, iMac, MBP, iPad and iPhones. You get 2Gb of free space when you sign up! If I refer you, I get an extra 500mb. If you fancy it, reply here or PM me and I'll send you the link.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Gentlemen, thank you, I got it and I love it. Obtaining the public URL to share a file with a friend seems even quicker than how it used to be on iCloud, when iCloud still allowed that function (i.e., when it was still me.com).

iPhonewarrior, I just read your comment now, so I've already signed up, but I see no reason why I can't scrub my account and start fresh with a referral from you. I've only uploaded (synced) two files thus far. DM me the link, for sure. :)

Rafael

Sent from my alphanumeric pager.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Gentlemen, thank you, I got it and I love it. Obtaining the public URL to share a file with a friend seems even quicker than how it used to be on iCloud, when iCloud still allowed that function (i.e., when it was still me.com).

iPhonewarrior, I just read your comment now, so I've already signed up, but I see no reason why I can't scrub my account and start fresh with a referral from you. I've only uploaded (synced) two files thus far. DM me the link, for sure. :)

Rafael

Here you go: http://db.tt/gM9t0rdO

You will have to use a different login email address that you used last time or it won't work. I believe you get extra space too when referred. All you have to do is create an account, download Dropbox on your desktop and login. :)

FYI - the link I've shared is a public referral link from my account, so if more than one of you wants to use it that would be awesome!

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hey... who is John, sorry?

My avatar is a pic of me taken by the Mafia when I was suffering from delusions of persecution (a result of schizophrenia combined with a mysterious build-up of vitamin B12 in the left hemisphere of my brain). I honestly haven't suffered from multiple-personality disorder since 1805, although I could see why you would think that by looking at that avatar.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Hey gentlemen, how can I change my screen name on eiC to a handle? I can't seem to find the option... I even disassociated my FB account but that did not help.