Sharing Music across profiles on the same computer

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bballrob, Dec 30, 2012.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

We got a new MiniMac for Christmas.

I want to set up a profile for each of my children, but I want music to be shareable across profiles so that the music can basically be stored in one location on the computer, but be added to iTunes on any profile on the computer. What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks.

2. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

I created a 'Media' user that has the 'Master' library. This is then shared so all users can either play the music from that library or copy it to their own to load onto their iOS devices. Probably not the best method but only one I came up with that worked for us across multiple macs and users.

Sent using iCafe on iMini

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

OK, but then for each song that a different user copies to use in their own library, is that song copied to a file within their profile, thus using up twice as much space, or 3-4 times as much space of 3-4 users want that song?

And is this accomplished using Home Sharing? If so, I don't think this is what I'm looking for either since for that to work, everyone has to be signed into the same iTunes account, and what I"m wanting is for everyone to have their own profiles and their own iTunes account attached to their profiles, but have access to the entire music library from one central location.

4. Ohmster

Ohmster Member
    Silver

Duplication. Yes. But only if they want to have the title on their iPad/iPod/iPhone. They can listen without copying.
    Multiple Profiles and Accounts. Yes. Everyone has their own. I have them copy purchased items to a shared folder from which I move to master library.

Again, as far as I know there is no 'out of the box' way to do this. I've tried many different methods including a common network drive that all music went into but that had limitations for iOS devices. I've asked several Apple 'geniuses' as well.

I'd like to see a more elegant solution as well.

Sent using iCafe on iMini