Short battery life since 1.1.3?

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
The past two days my battery seems to go much faster than before the update. Anyone else have this issue? I have turned off push mail and wifi to see if that helps. I am having to charge every day now.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
The past two days my battery seems to go much faster than before the update. Anyone else have this issue? I have turned off push mail and wifi to see if that helps. I am having to charge every day now.

I have had to charge my phone every day since I got it and I am on my 3rd phone for battery life

Jul 1, 2007
Won't charge on wall @ all since update

I have had to charge my phone every day since I got it and I am on my 3rd phone for battery life
Mine won't even charge at ALL when I plug it into an outlet. I just discovered this after leaving it plugged in all night as usual. I am right now trying to charge through the computer. The charging icon is on but it was on when I had it connected to the wall as well and it didn't charge.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Mine won't even charge at ALL when I plug it into an outlet. I just discovered this after leaving it plugged in all night as usual. I am right now trying to charge through the computer. The charging icon is on but it was on when I had it connected to the wall as well and it didn't charge.
If it is not charging using the wall outlet then a visit to the Apple store for a new one maybe needed. When I plug my in for charging at night, I normally just power down the phone. The two things I do to extend battery life is to make sure when you set up iPhone to check your e-mail that auto-check (in settings)it is on manual. When you are not using your wifi turn it off.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
I'm having the same issue. Rumor has it that Apple boosted the power level to the antenna for better reception, but have not noticed better reception, just a dead battery!:mad:

tran_man

Sep 28, 2007
I have only charged it once since the update. I disconnected it from the charger in the morning and used the phone normally during the day. I expected the battery to be at half strength or so but it showed completely full 18 hours later. I thought life was great! During the night, I did not have the phone plugged in with my normal settings. I usually have to charge my phone every 2 or 3 days under my normal settings. When I woke up in the morning 6 hours later, the phone was in the red warning me of a discharged battery. Anyone else experienced this?

Jul 1, 2007

Have just returned from the Apple store. I went because I called tech support with my battery not charging via wall issue and they told me to take it in for a new battery.(3 hour round trip). At that time I had not tried charging via the computer and the support guy told me to try that. I did and the iPhone would charge through the computer but I wanted it to work the way it was supposed to so I went on and made the trip. I had made an appointment at the Genius bar. When I arrived the "Genius" said "it's fully charged now." I said, "I KNOW that, I charged it on the computer." Then he hooked it up via my cables to an outlet and said "the charging symbol is flashing and the battery icon is showing. " I said " it was doing that when it wouldn't charge via the wall". Then he said he couldn't help me unless it was discharged and I could wait around for several hours if I liked for it to discharge. No thanks.

I had no idea if it would charge on the computer so I just hooked it up and went about my businesss and when I came back in a couple of hours, it was charged. I guess it was dumb to take it in charged but it was what the Apple tech told me to do on the phone. He ALSO told me I only had 10 days left on the warranty which is why I felt it so necessary to inconvenience myself and make the 3 hour round trip.

The Apple genius corrected this misinformation and said the warranty was for a year. I just feel stupid and inconvenienced not to mention seriously PO'ed at the tech support guy who gave me the wrong info.

abohsali

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Hello,

I have the same issue. I noticed that my battery is running out much faster and it is a bummer. I haven't used the phone more than before the update although I noticed better reception. I work in a lab between walls and the reception improved since the update.

JW22

Jan 21, 2008
I don't know yet if this is the same problem or not, but I just purchased my iPhone on Friday. I charged it completely, drained it down to next to nothing and yesterday charged it with a combination of the computer and then my wall mount charger. I charged it from about half-full to full with the wall charger and then unplugged it. Left it on overnight, got to work and went to show someone the phone and it was dead. I did have autocheck on my email set to one hour, but I figured the phone wouldn't be actually checking in standby mode anyway, would it? Also, I went and changed the setting to manual and I'm still getting notifications every time I get an email, not sure what is up with that.

As to the wall mount charger, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything wrong with it as my wife used it to charge her nano last night and had no issues when she went to use it.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Mine is lasting about two days where as it used to last about 2.5 - 3. I really think it's just shorter right now because I'm surfing more now with the cool web clips.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
kinda off topic about 1.1.3 and batter life. but a genius at the store told me once the battery is shot on your iPhone, the battery isn't replaced, the whole phone is. any comments or knowledge on this?

and its hard to tell if 1.1.3 does anything negative to my battery. i use my phone all day and am always online. plus im always charging when i get the chance so its really hard to tell.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
Mine is lasting about two days where as it used to last about 2.5 - 3. I really think it's just shorter right now because I'm surfing more now with the cool web clips.
2 days? Damn would i wouldn't give for that. I might get 4 hours usage and 18 hours stand by before having to charge. I have to charge every night, if not I wake in the morning with a completely drained iPhone

JW22

Jan 21, 2008
I guess my situation was just a fluke as I haven't had the problem again. I charged all the way up using USB, which lasted me that day, through the night and through the next day before I charged again (with about a quarter of the battery showing left). I then charged using the wall charger and have gone through one day and one night and I'm showing more than half of a battery left at this point so who knows...