Should Apple expand the color selection, maybe even wood backs?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
We’re still months away from an iPhone 6 release date. While the focus has been on the bigger display that has been the subject of many rumors, there are no indications yet that Apple’s going to do much differently when it comes to color and customization options.

Should Apple consider expanding the customization options? If you look at what Motorola's done with the Moto X, it certainly confirms that people like choices. Why not add more colors? If the new hardware design allows for it, I'd certainly welcome a natural wood option. Admittedly, I'm a bit jealous of the bamboo Moto X offering.

moto-x-wood-1.jpg

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
Even i like such wooden coloured back but Apple has already created an imprint of white and black colours on people so i really wonder if people would go for it. Here in india 5C is a big time flop because of its plastic body and colour variants.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
From a businesss perspective, offering more color choices would cut into Apple's margins. I think the 5c has scared Apple away from offering lots of colors. That's was all the excuse they need to keep it simple/industrial/minimalist. And that works for me.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
If I were the naked phone type, I'd love a nice mahogany or teak back. Those might too heavy though. But a nice wood back would be the only thing to make me go naked and give up my Otterbox.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Colors are irrelevant to lots of people (at least for the main body of the phone excluding the front). Most people use cases and skins to modify/protect their devices.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
No way Jony Ive signs off on that.
C'mon, you can't picture an Apple produced video with Ive.. "When we looked at creating the iPhone 6, we thought about designing something with natural properties, making it fit naturally in your environment."

[Insert something about how the wood is sourced and it's incredibly awesome, never used on a phone or electronics.]

Ive did sign off on the iPhone 5c. Unapologetically plastic!

rom x

Zealot
Gold
Jan 18, 2011
i really don't care too much for what color or even the type of material is on my phone as long as it feels good in my hand and can survive a drop.
but i'm sure a lot of folks have a different opinion. especially kids they like to decorate their phones with all kinds of knick-knacks

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
If I were the naked phone type, I'd love a nice mahogany or teak back. Those might too heavy though. But a nice wood back would be the only thing to make me go naked and give up my Otterbox.
I couldn't agree more. Every time I get a new phone it is put into an Otterbox defender before I even leave the store and stays there, so I couldn't care less what color it is. I only take it out 4 or 5 times a year to clean the phone and the inside of the case or I may go naked once or twice a year if I attend an upscale function like a wedding.

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
I also slap on both a case and screen protector before I even leave the store. I've gotten so good with screen protectors that I installed a few for other customers on launch day for the 5s. No bubbles, perfect alignment. Chicks dig a guy who is good with screen protectors. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
When I see pieces of wood on cases or the backing of a phone, it always reminds me of an old Ford Pinto with wood panels. Wood seems out of place on a phone to me. I prefer aluminum or plastic. I think they look and hold up better.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Colors are irrelevant to lots of people (at least for the main body of the phone excluding the front). Most people use cases and skins to modify/protect their devices.
You can use the same argument in favor of producing an ugly iPhone since no one will actually see it; it will be covered by cases and skins, right?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
never once in 7 years have a heard anyone call an iPhone ugly. or any Apple product, for that matter. before that, sure, but not recently. that's the thing with minimalism; there isn't much to complain about.