Should Apple expand the color selection, maybe even wood backs?

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by chris, Jan 29, 2014.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

We’re still months away from an iPhone 6 release date. While the focus has been on the bigger display that has been the subject of many rumors, there are no indications yet that Apple’s going to do much differently when it comes to color and customization options.

Should Apple consider expanding the customization options? If you look at what Motorola's done with the Moto X, it certainly confirms that people like choices. Why not add more colors? If the new hardware design allows for it, I'd certainly welcome a natural wood option. Admittedly, I'm a bit jealous of the bamboo Moto X offering.

moto-x-wood-1.jpg

2. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Even i like such wooden coloured back but Apple has already created an imprint of white and black colours on people so i really wonder if people would go for it. Here in india 5C is a big time flop because of its plastic body and colour variants.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

No way Jony Ive signs off on that.

4. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

From a businesss perspective, offering more color choices would cut into Apple's margins. I think the 5c has scared Apple away from offering lots of colors. That's was all the excuse they need to keep it simple/industrial/minimalist. And that works for me.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If I were the naked phone type, I'd love a nice mahogany or teak back. Those might too heavy though. But a nice wood back would be the only thing to make me go naked and give up my Otterbox.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Colors are irrelevant to lots of people (at least for the main body of the phone excluding the front). Most people use cases and skins to modify/protect their devices.

7. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

C'mon, you can't picture an Apple produced video with Ive.. "When we looked at creating the iPhone 6, we thought about designing something with natural properties, making it fit naturally in your environment."

[Insert something about how the wood is sourced and it's incredibly awesome, never used on a phone or electronics.]

Ive did sign off on the iPhone 5c. Unapologetically plastic!

8. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

i really don't care too much for what color or even the type of material is on my phone as long as it feels good in my hand and can survive a drop.
    but i'm sure a lot of folks have a different opinion. especially kids they like to decorate their phones with all kinds of knick-knacks

9. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I couldn't agree more. Every time I get a new phone it is put into an Otterbox defender before I even leave the store and stays there, so I couldn't care less what color it is. I only take it out 4 or 5 times a year to clean the phone and the inside of the case or I may go naked once or twice a year if I attend an upscale function like a wedding.

10. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I also slap on both a case and screen protector before I even leave the store. I've gotten so good with screen protectors that I installed a few for other customers on launch day for the 5s. No bubbles, perfect alignment. Chicks dig a guy who is good with screen protectors. :)

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

When I see pieces of wood on cases or the backing of a phone, it always reminds me of an old Ford Pinto with wood panels. Wood seems out of place on a phone to me. I prefer aluminum or plastic. I think they look and hold up better.

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I had the Rolls Royce look in mind. :D
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1392233525.840562.jpg

13. efuseakay

efuseakay Contributor
    Silver

Real carbon fiber casing with color options would be epic.

14. firewire

firewire Member
    Silver

You can use the same argument in favor of producing an ugly iPhone since no one will actually see it; it will be covered by cases and skins, right?

15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Actually, yes. :)

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Make an ugly iPhone, he said. People won't care, he said. -Apple after poor sales of the hideous iPhone 6. :D

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Apple can sell ugliness itself and make money :D

18. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

no. Apples whole businesss plan is good design.

19. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I agree but you forget that "good design" is subjective. Surely there are people that think iPhones are fugly, despite this, Apple sells millions. I love Apple's design but I know many do not.

20. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

never once in 7 years have a heard anyone call an iPhone ugly. or any Apple product, for that matter. before that, sure, but not recently. that's the thing with minimalism; there isn't much to complain about.