Should I apply hardware unlock to my iPhone?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

muzeon

Sep 7, 2007
Heya,

I have a 8G iPhone since iDay, using AT&T service. Need to travel overseas, and I really don't want to pay AT&T roaming. Turbosim is too expensive, and I'm not good with programming. I found a few local shops in Los Angeles who can perform the hardware unlock method for $200 to $250, with a turnaround time of 1 to 48hrs, depending on which place you talk to.

Should I perform hardware unlock? Do you think I'll be stuck if Apple posts a software update?

Or do anyone know of a place that does turbosim programming service?

Thanks!

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I'd buy cheap unlocked phone off eBay for around $50 and just stick a SIM in it. Certainly not as functional as the iPhone, but you can keep your iPhone under warranty, and you'll have a phone to use.

ps49556n

Silver
Jun 21, 2007
NYC
Heya,

I have a 8G iPhone since iDay, using AT&T service. Need to travel overseas, and I really don't want to pay AT&T roaming. Turbosim is too expensive, and I'm not good with programming. I found a few local shops in Los Angeles who can perform the hardware unlock method for $200 to $250, with a turnaround time of 1 to 48hrs, depending on which place you talk to.

Should I perform hardware unlock? Do you think I'll be stuck if Apple posts a software update?

Or do anyone know of a place that does turbosim programming service?

Thanks!

I would never do the hardware lock.....if I was in your situation I would just use a cheap phone when you travel until an official software unlock is available or do the turbo sim which by the looks of it is pretty straight forward. Does this local shop offer any insurance if they break your phone in the process? What if a week later you smell something burning and your iPhone just dies?

Not to mention your warranty will be voided.

muzeon

Sep 7, 2007
thanks for your thoughts. yeah, i'll skip the hardware method. maybe try iPhonesimfree if it works with the next iPhone update.

ucla24

Bronze
Aug 17, 2007
Skip the hardware unlock....it will ruin your phone's warranty and may not stick after updates. Just get an el cheapo phone to travel with.