Should I back my iPhone using iCloud or on computer?

JWB

Bronze
Nov 8, 2011

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
That's a personal preference really. BUT, 1 advantage of backing up to the cloud is that if you get another device (replacement) or buy a new device, you can have all your contacts, at a minimum before you leave the store.
Also contacts are available across multiple devices.
I will usually back my devices up to my computer once a month and have it set to backup to the cloud every night when I plug in to charge.

JWB

Bronze
Nov 8, 2011
Do I need more space to back up to iCloud? Right now I have the standard 5 gigs

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Do I need more space to back up to iCloud? Right now I have the standard 5 gigs
That really depends on how much you're backing up ;)
You can adjust what is backed up to the cloud. I'm not a game player or worry about backing up game type data, so I only select the 'must have apps' that I really need/want in the event a restore is required.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
I have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I back them all up to iCloud and use the free 5gb plan. I still have 2gb left. The trick is to transfer larger videos and pictures back onto a computer and off of your device. iCloud only backs up app data, not the apps themselves. It also doesn't back up music.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I have 2 iPads and 2 iPhones. I back them all up to iCloud and use the free 5gb plan. I still have 2gb left. The trick is to transfer larger videos and pictures back onto a computer and off of your device. iCloud only backs up app data, not the apps themselves. It also doesn't back up music.
Ahhh, I forgot it doesn't backup up music either. I'm probably in the .01% of people who have zero music on their device.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's a personal preference really. BUT, 1 advantage of backing up to the cloud is that if you get another device (replacement) or buy a new device, you can have all your contacts, at a minimum before you leave the store.
Also contacts are available across multiple devices.
I will usually back my devices up to my computer once a month and have it set to backup to the cloud every night when I plug in to charge.
Actually, you can do all of that regardless of how you backup the device. iCloud syncing (push contacts, bookmarks, etc.) is separate from iCloud backups.
I explained it in more detail here:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/icloud-extra-chargeable-storage.102581/#post-1015845

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Both methods have pros and cons. The pros to backing up in iTunes are that restoring from backup is a lot faster if you ever do have to do it and you don't have the 5 GB limit like you have with a standard free iCloud account. The cons are that it isn't automatically done daily like iCloud backups and you have to connect to your computer if you need to restore.

Last edited:

Bolygon57

Bronze
Oct 18, 2011
Does anyone know how to synch "notes"? My phone and iPad sync everything we'll expect for notes.

Sent using iCafe app