Should I buy a new iPhone today?

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
I've been lurking here for sometime, and have gathered lots of good information.
I have the wants for an iPhone, but normally, when I make myself wait a week, or two, I can talk myself out of "stuff" that I really don't need. That has not happened this time....

I registered today in hopes that you good folks can give me good, logical reasons why I should NOT buy a new iPhone today. (Or, why I should!)

Cons:
  • My contract with AT&T does not run out until 09/15, so I'll have to pay full price.
  • I hear that there is a new model on the horizon, so I should wait.
  • Even if the new model is more money, it will probably be cheaper as an upgrade, than the old (current) model (which will NOT be a qualified upgrade) that I will buy today.
  • I hardly ever use my current cell phone (maybe 12 calls a month!)
  • I never use any of the MP3 players that I have now.
  • I really don't need a new toy, but I want it!
Pros
  • I really want one.
  • I've a friend with one, and it absolutely fascinates me!
  • I have the cash in my pocket.
  • I really want one.
  • I like the idea of having internet wherever (within reason) that I go.
  • The multitude of available Apps amazes me.
  • I really want one.
  • If I buy one now, and a new model comes out by September, I can always give the old one to my bride, and buy a new model!
  • I really want one.
Okay....give me your best shots. Today? Or September?

ant7701

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
go for it man. Im the same way. I have a habit of impulse buying which I have somewhat controlled. I get something in my mind and don't stop til I buy it....then once I get it,I move onto the next impulse. And recently Ive been able to talk myself out of it. What I do also is wait....if I still want it in a few weeks....then its worth it.

But....with that all said. I can honestly say that this is the greatest phone of all time and cannot and will not regret anything about it. So I say go for it!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Any day is a good day to buy an iPhone in my book, but I'd say definitely wait right now. I think it's a very, very good bet that we'll see a new iPhone model this summer and I think you'd be kicking yourself if that new one comes out in just a couple months and way outshines the model you could buy today ...

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Well, as far as upgrading, you will have to pay full retail which is a lot.
When the new one comes out, you will probably have to pay ALOT more.

Now lets change your argument. You have the money for the iPhone and thats great, however can you maintain it?

This is not a cheap phone to maintain as far as the monthly bill comes. The cheapest minutes (450min) with unlimited text and the iPhone data plan come to around $105. IF you need more then expect to pay a lot more.

Its not so much can you buy the iPhone, its can you afford the upkeep.

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
Would Apple come out with a new phone and a new OS at the same time?

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
No. Wait for your contract to end, then see what's out there.

Jeffois

Bronze
Jun 5, 2008
I'm a big fan of this phone, but based on what you've described, it sounds like waiting is the move to make.

a) you barely use a phone or an MP3 player, hence, I'm not even sure if it's worth spending on an iPhone at all...

b) Since your contract runs out in September, seems to me you'd save quite a bit of dough to wait just a few more months, when there's likely to be a new one that will cost you much less.

But let me reiterate the point that based on your description of your usage, I'm wondering about whether the iPhone works for you on anything but the gee whiz factor.

But that's what makes ballgames.

Let us know what you end up deciding!

Dakine

Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Wait and see if the new phone comes out, I held off as long as I could, but did pick up a 3G about 3 months ago.

I really like the phone, and like you, I may not use all of the features a lot, I still feel nice knowing they are there. Now had I known that there was a chance that a new phone was coming out in June or July 3 months ago, I would have waited.

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
I think you should buy me a new iPhone today! ;)

downsized

Bronze
May 3, 2009
I appreciate the comments. They pretty much told me what I already knew, but sometimes one needs a slap on the forehead as a reminder.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
So you bought one then? ;)

mstone

May 7, 2009
Atlanta, Ga.
Don't do it! Normally I would tell someone to go get it NOW, but all the signs point to a refresh this summer. In addition, to answer your question about the upgrade price, I'm pretty sure that if you renewed your contract with ATT, you would get the subsidy price on the phone, and that will most likely be the case on the new one this summer. If you have the cash in your pocket now, just put it under your mattress and you'll still have it in July. I believe it will be worth the wait!

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
This is not a cheap phone to maintain as far as the monthly bill comes. The cheapest minutes (450min) with unlimited text and the iPhone data plan come to around $105.
Actually, I only pay around $75 a month for all of that lol. :)

To the OP, I would definitely wait. If I knew a new iPhone was coming out in June back in February when I bought my phone, I totally would have waited a bit longer.

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
I get a 23% discount every month for everything, including accessories. I have my job to thank for that. I'm not on a corporate plan either. :p