Should I buy a used iPhone?

swoodrell

Sep 4, 2009
I was wondering.. If I buy a used iPhone 3g will I be able to activate it? I tried to go through the ATT store and they wanted a $750 dollar deposit. I have read that if you if you activate it through iTunes you can avoid that deposit, does anyone know about this? Any advice is appreciated. thank you.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
Are you serious? $750? You can buy a new one for less than that right?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
+1 jailbreak, unlock, and use a prepaid T-Mobile SIM.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
Yeah it sounds like you'd just be better off buying an iPhone Jailbreak it and just stay on T Mobile's pre paid service. Also are you trying to get an account with ATT by yourself ? I tried doing the same thing and they wanted an initial deposit I think because I am in the process of building my credit and it wasn't to good at the time. I got my girl to like co sign or whatever you wanna call it and there was no deposit no nothing we were good to go. Although she does have a good credit score.

Cjvdh

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2009
York, PA
www.twitter.com
juls1585 said:
thats what i did for my then bf. he had no credit and they wanted a deposit. i was on tmobile and almost done with my contract so i just signed the contract for his phone, and then when my tmobile ended i switched over and we made a family plan. its since changed into two accounts because we couldnt share minutes because apparently i talk more than i need to. it worked out very well though!
Yeah like she said. Your best bet it to probably get someone to go in on it with you if you want to avoid that 750.00 but if you don't really have anyone then your best bet it to just stay with tmobile.

Jul 1, 2010
The reason for the deposit i would suspect is because they ran your credit check and feel that you don't quality for a nondeposit. But like others said, you can buy one off craigslist or eBay for dirt cheap, unlock it if it's locked and use it with your current carrier it's not the end of the world.