Should i buy an iPhone now or wait?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
What would you be waiting for?

If you're waiting for an updated iPhone model, you'll likely be waiting a very long time.

If you can afford one now, go ahead and buy now.

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
I really don't know when prices will drop if thats what your waiting for..
And its not like a game console where there are problems...

The iPhone is pretty solid and with updates they can solve a lot of problems too

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Now!

Enjoy life while you can. You might get ALS and not have the time to enjoy iPhone 2. I intend to enjoy ALL the iPhones to come, updates and all, till my last neurone fires its last action potential. If we wait till the perfect iPhone that provides us with the Cloak of Invisibility, operates the microwave and gives us Time travel, we'll never enjoy the one we have now with all its wonders and the knowledge that whatever's lacking will be addressed shortly by a series of mind-boggling updates.
But of course, I'm biased. I sleep with my iPhone.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Enjoy life while you can. You might get ALS and not have the time to enjoy iPhone 2. I intend to enjoy ALL the iPhones to come, updates and all, till my last neurone fires its last action potential. If we wait till the perfect iPhone that provides us with the Cloak of Invisibility, operates the microwave and gives us Time travel, we'll never enjoy the one we have now with all its wonders and the knowledge that whatever's lacking will be addressed shortly by a series of mind-boggling updates.
But of course, I'm biased. I sleep with my iPhone.
Actually I think this is good advice.

Waiting is always the ultimate dilemma. If you wait you wait forever. Just like a computer. When you finally take the plunge they come out with something bigger and faster the next month. At some point you have to just do it.

For me the iPhone is first and foremost a phone. If the phone doesn't work for 'ya there is no sense getting it. So I'm going to get it once I figure out the best way to cover my a** and if it works as phone I can certainly live with minor issues until the software is upgraded. I'm sure we're going to see upgrades in the near future.

On another note, what is the feeling here bout when Apple might introduce a new version of iPhone? A year? Two?

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I think a "new" iPhone is way out there. I AM anxious to see what happens with the EU and Asian versions - whether they will offer 3G or not. After having the device and using it thoroughly for almost a month, I can see where 3G, WiFi, and BT used simultaneously would drain the battery SERIOUSLY quickly. I'm not convinced, though, that either market would embrace this device without 3G. It's an accepted standard in both of those markets. It'd be almost like offering it without EDGE here. I'm pretty certain, based on how locked the system is, you wouldn't be able to activate an iPhone designed to be used elsewhere over here - so it seems like a moot point.

i_poo

Aug 9, 2007
I, for one am EXTREMELY happy with my iPhone.

I ended up buying one due to my previous phone being stolen(Motorola SLVR). I was intending to wait for the 2nd generation iPhone...

But I'm really glad I didn't end up waiting. :laugh2: Really happy with the Jesusphone. Despite it having few minor flaws and still needing upgrades.. It does boundless things that no other phone out there does. Period.

Aug 10, 2007
Looking at Apple's rollout of the Intel platforms is probably a decent analogy, because that was basically a whole new product direction in terms of making everything they had working under PPC work under Intel.

Within months of the first MacBooks and MacBook Pros, rev. A was issued that corrected a lot of QC problems with the first gen (the melting/overheating parts, browning plastic, etc. etc.) So aside from performance upgrades (which, I think there will be some in a year at least), there will likely be QC revisions. Hell, the price might come down after Xmas to encourage people to buy them even after the holidays.

So far, Apple sounds like it's been pretty good about warranty-replacing any iPhone problems, because they don't want bad press to kill their chances at breaking into the cell phone market. But I think waiting is not a bad idea.

Take it FWIW, because I went and got an iPhone. I'm crossing my fingers for the warranty to pull through though if anything comes up on mine, and I'll probably get AppleCare too.

Last edited by a moderator: