Should I buy an iPhone?

craig2000

Dec 10, 2007
So I am sold on the interface, the plan AT&T has is well within my budget... but my question is with the phone itself...

Is there any intel on a new release from Apple that I should wait a bit longer for?

I know the iPhone has been out for a bit, but have they been updating it with fixes etc along the way?

I have been on the fence about buying one for like the last 6 months. I guess I am just looking for some advice as to whether I should wait another month or two, or just get it now.

Help

whale_hunter

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Don't wait.

The updates arent coming. People will tell you it's coming tommrow, or next week, or at midnight...but it won't come.

When it does it will have bug fixes.

Just enjoy the phone for what it is.

Nov 30, 2007
Buy the phone for what it can do now, not promises of what it MIGHT do in the future. I switched from a Moto Q and lost my Exchange push mail but you know what, for me it doesn't matter. I'm mostly in the office anyway in front of a computer so instant email really isn't that important. Most thing can wait 15 minutes, really.

The browser on this phone is amazing, not just that you can view regular pages, but you can zoom in/out easily, the way dropdown boxes work and the auto landscape feature. Apple really did a great job on this, it will leave you giggling like a school girl.

The phone itself works great too, I actually find the AT&T network to be better than Verizon. The calls are clearer and signal is fine. The phone interface is very intuitive and makes sense.

iPod feature works great and the wifi iTunes function works as advertised.

It just works. To really be sold on this, you should go and play with one. To touch it is to believe.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
If you wait for things like 3G, or GPS, you are wasting your time. 1) because AT&T's 3g coverage is very limited. It's nice when it's there, but it's not there more times than it is. 2)I don't know if AT&T charges for GPs like other people do, but Google's map program should be getting a "my Location" update that uses the cell towers to triangulate your position within 1000m. Add the fact that it's free, well, you cannot beat that.
3) Even though everyone and their brother is excited about the fact that the AT&T exec "announced" that there will be a new phone in 2008, he didn't say when. Plus, all he did was repeat what Steve Jobs had already stated at the London unveiling.

The only thing a new phone could have that would even be slightly useful that will never be on the current version would be a better battery (not going to happen) and more memory, but 8 gigs of data in your phone is a LOT, and I mean a LOT of data to carry around. Some people have that much music. They will never be able to listen to it all on one charge. 1.85 Gigs is about a day and a half of music. the battery is good at best for 24 straight hours of MP3's.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Buy the iPhone now. Don't keep putting it off out of fear that the next bigger/better version is around the corner. Get it, enjoy it, and deal with the fact that there is ALWAYS something coming.

craig2000

Dec 10, 2007
Buy the iPhone now. Don't keep putting it off out of fear that the next bigger/better version is around the corner. Get it, enjoy it, and deal with the fact that there is ALWAYS something coming.
thanks dudes
i guess just don't want like a 600 gig version to come out tomorrow that predicts the future. not sure what im waiting for.

i keep saying this, but i think im sold.

Khris

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Edmonton, AB
It's unfortunately the price of buying electronics. There will ALWAYS be something bigger and better. If you constantly wait for the next best thing, you'll forever be missing out on what's currently hot.

I love my iPhone! Best cell phone to date.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Don't wait.

The updates arent coming. People will tell you it's coming tommrow, or next week, or at midnight...but it won't come.

When it does it will have bug fixes.

Just enjoy the phone for what it is.
First of all yes, get an iPhone. You will be absolutely pleased with your purchase.

Second, I disagree with quoted post. Updates will come. Several of them already have. Now I'm not saying that we'll get 1.1.3 within the next week, but mark my words, we will get video recording. We will get MMS. We will get Copy & Paste.

- John

jagxk

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Dunwoody, Georgia
No. don't buy one. It is a super great phone but who knows - something similar or maybe better will come out in the next 18 months - so wait and miss all the fun of being in on something new, different, and fun.

Aug 3, 2007
It's unfortunately the price of buying electronics. There will ALWAYS be something bigger and better. If you constantly wait for the next best thing, you'll forever be missing out on what's currently hot.

I love my iPhone! Best cell phone to date.
Well said... well said...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
No. don't buy one. It is a super great phone but who knows - something similar or maybe better will come out in the next 18 months - so wait and miss all the fun of being in on something new, different, and fun.
If you do this, you'll never get one. You'll just keep waiting and waiting. There will always be some new model, some new version to come out after you buy the original.

- John

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
If you do this, you'll never get one. You'll just keep waiting and waiting. There will always be some new model, some new version to come out after you buy the original.

- John
Exactly! Playstation, XBOX, PSP....

Bboy Trick

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
NJ

- John
man your the best. You always have the right answers no matter what the question is. Thanks John:laugh2:

beez619

Nov 21, 2007
Salem,NJ
That's what us people that are waiting really like to hear .....thanks

Last edited by a moderator: