Should I buy iPad mini or iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by George McCabe, Aug 19, 2013.

1. George McCabe

George McCabe New Member

I know we are probably weeks but possibly months away from the iPad 5 and iPad mini 2. That being said. I am in the market for a tablet today.

The question is, do I go iPad mini or iPad 4? I do not anticipate taking my iPad everywhere with me but I will travel with it on occasion. Retina isn't huge for me but its obviously nice to have. I'll use the tablet for gaming, and web apps mainly. Fantasy football etc. Maybe some YouTube

Thank you in advance

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I purchased both when they were released. I decided that it didn't make sense to keep both and returned the iPad mini. Fast forward to April when there were rumors of an iPad refresh. I ended up selling my iPad 4 and being iPad-less for a few weeks. When it became clear that no new iPads were on the horizon, I decided to jump back in and pick up the iPad mini. I absolutely love it and don't miss the retina iPad. For me, it's the size that makes it great. My daughter watches moves all the time and I'm impressed with the quality of the image. During my first go around, I was constantly comparing it the retina display of the iPad 4. That's an un-winnable situation for the mini. The retina was too big, too heavy and let's face it, expensive. There were times when I would grab it because I'd have to be super-careful with it's every move. I'm not that way with the iPad mini. Not that I care less about it, but I feel that I'm less likely to drop it. I should note that I have an Otterbox on the iPad mini, which doesn't hurt.

If you are writing or reading heavily, the retina display cannot be beat. For casual browsing, apps, games and media playback, there isn't enough of a gap to give up the small, portable size of the iPad mini.

The size makes me use it more, so it spends more time in my hands.

From a resale perspective, the iPad mini has less room to drop. Even if it comes out in retina, there will be a market for people who don't need retina, but want a cheap iPad mini. Either way, they both have good resale and ultimately, that should be low on the list of considerations when making a purchase.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

3. dkhmwilliams

dkhmwilliams Member
    Bronze

If I'm doing a lot of reading or gaming, I like the mini however I do use my iPad as more of a laptop replacement so the extra screen size is great for that. My wife has the mini and she loves it. It just depends on what you want to use it for. The retina display is amazing though. Makes all the difference to me.

Sent using iCafe app

4. George McCabe

George McCabe New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to pick up a 64gb mini next week. I went to the store and worked with both and like the portability of the mini. Taking notes may be difficult at first on the mini, maybe, but I'll adjust. I do more PDF editing anyways and I think the mini will prove no more difficult than the regular sized ipad. Now I just need to find a decent case for the mini.

5. alicepattinson

Bronze

Most of my friends really use a mini, including me. hahaha :D it's really so easy to bring. No hassle and it's just the same as any regular ipads. more even better IMO.

6. George McCabe

George McCabe New Member

That is my feeling after using both. The couple games that I do play are not graphic intense so there is no chance of suffering from lesser hardware or even lack of retina. The 2" screen difference is nothing to be concerned with in my opinion. Very happy with my decision.

7. dalina

dalina New Member

Well Ipad Mini is more practic that the Ipad 4, i would prefer the mini one.