Should I buy iPhone 3GS or wait for new iPhone?

dkoc88

Nov 15, 2007
i was thinkin of upgrading to the 3gs but im a little worried that a newer iPhone will come out then i would want to get the newer one.What are the chances Apple comes out with a new iPhone in the foreseeable future?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
There will always be something new coming down the road. iPhones usually come out near the end of June so you have nearly a year before a new one comes out. But if you wait, it'll only be another year till the next one comes out.

I only wait for a product if the new one is coming within a month or two. Otherwise I don't wait.

--
Mike

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Buy one now and then upgrade every June/July when the new one is released :)

They pretty much pay for themselves. You can sell the old ones for around $400 unlocked and then use that money to pay for the new one.

dkoc88

Nov 15, 2007
yes im most likely going to upgrade but i have one more question when we finally get mms and if att charges us to use it do u think there will be an option for people who don't wanna get charged to not have mms?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I think you'll have the option to add a picture messaging plan or not. If not, you'll be charged for each individual MMS you open (that is if they will open at all if you don't have the plan). Similar to the way SMS works if you have no text plan.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
At&t will include mms in the texting plans they offer like with any other phone so they won't be charging extra if you have one of those. I know you can block texting/mms'ing all together on your account but I don't know if you can do just one. Now in the settings you can shut mms off but I'm not sure if that completely stops sent ones from being charged to your account. After 2 years of blocking it they will probably be able to block it on individual accounts once they have everyone up and running with mms. No one really knows exactly how they have it set up to work, but if they put all the 3G's and 3GS's on regular texting plans you could easily switch to the iPhone one and that would only support text(SMS) messages.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
You guys in the US get charged for opening MMS messages?
AT&T said with the text messaging bundles mms will be included. Our text bundles are $5 for 200 texts, $15 for 1500, $20 for unlimited, and $30 for unlimited for everyone on a family plan. Pay per mms I am pretty sure is $.30 cents if you aren't on a plan. And I'm not sure if you are on one of the limited plans if a single mms will be charged as a couple sms's, but the last I heard that it was a rumor.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
AT&T said with the text messaging bundles mms will be included. Our text bundles are $5 for 200 texts, $15 for 1500, $20 for unlimited, and $30 for unlimited for everyone on a family plan. Pay per mms I am pretty sure is $.30 cents if you aren't on a plan. And I'm not sure if you are on one of the limited plans if a single mms will be charged as a couple sms's, but the last I heard that it was a rumor.
Ah i see just in the UK ours is free for opening MMS messages but on some operators it costs to send but on some others like what you said is rumoured if you send a MMS message it takes 2 or 3 texts off your inclusive texts allowance

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
I have the original iPhone that I have had for over 2 years now. Still looks good and works great! However, my wife wants to give me the 3Gs for Christmas.

My question is should I go ahead and get the 3Gs or wait until summer for the new iPhone? I appreciate your thoughts!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
There is no confirmation of a new phone in the summer, although its likely - its not confirmed.

If you can wait - wait. If I were you I would buy a 3G 2nd hand for a cheap price and make do with that until June. If there is a new phone, upgrade, if not then upgrade to the 3GS.

Also, if you always wait for the better, next model, you will never upgrade! ;)

Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Get the new one, sell your original, get the new one in June, and then jailbreak/unlock the 3GS and sell it for close to the cost of the new one.

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
What can I get ($$$) for an original iPhone?

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
What can I get ($$$) for an original iPhone?
Anywhere from $200-300. Get the 3GS it's amazing! You coming from a V1 phone will freak out over the speed.

Krunk83

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2008
juls1585 said:
maybe $150? check ebay to be sure. if you jailbreak it and unlock it maybe a little more
Sold mine for $250. :sneaky:

kirkf

Feb 1, 2008
Is e-bay the best place to try and sell it?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Sorry to say so, but the V1 isn't so hot any more -so go check eBay on the prices, sell it, and be a very happy iPhone (3GS) owner again!