Should I buy my child an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple iAddicted, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apple iAddicted

Apple iAddicted Contributor
    Bronze

My son is wanting an iPhone, he just wants to be like me mostly. I see a lot about iDevices being being used in the classrooms, so I guess sooner or later he will have to get one, but I was thinking of getting him a older 2G or 3G model since they are a little cheaper. Now my thinking is it will get him adapted to the iOS and still be cheap enough that if he busts the screen it won't be a biggie. But since iOS 6 is going to be avalible on the 3GS should I spend a little extra and get it? What grade are they starting kids on iDevices in school?
    I know my cousin claims she needs her iPhone for school at 13 but that's a private school my son attends public school... I need to decide soon cause I want to get him one before school starts back.

Sent from my 32GB iPhone 4s on iOS 5.1.1
    The ONLY thing better than an iPhone is the newer iPhone!

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I never had seen a school permitting a phone in the classroom
    Private or public
    Some schools work with iPads which are in school and school proberty
    That said my son had an iPhone since then and a phone since he was 4 years old (he could already read etc)
    You could get insurance on it ( Check your home owners/renters or statefarm as well others and Apple care)
    If you do not need the phone an iPod does now just as much as a phone
    Next iPhone we both son and I updated and hubby get's hand me down
    Most would not agree but everyones situation (and child) is different.
    Lifeproof/Otterbox are also great cases to have if you worried.
    Also just one more thing my sons phone was stolen from his Locker in a private school.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most schools do not allow any student to use a cell phone while in class or on campus.

4. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I love generalizations. Like "most".
    I would suggest talking to your sons school and seeing what their policy is.
    Going from others best guesses and I know it all ideas isn't ever good.

5. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

Well I know for a fact that last year a nearby highschool required all students to have either a iPhone, iPad, or iPod for some classes and it was cool teachers emailed homework so no one could say they didn't get it and some even did tests on them, but that could be bad cause students have Safari to find answers. But no not all schools are supplying ipads for students but the ones requiring them are allowing iPhone as well. Atleast they understand not everyone can shell out 600 for a ipad or 200 for a ipod the 3gs is only a dollar with contract and the 4 is 99.00 but I had to use my sons upgrade to get my iPhone lol in my house kids get handmedowns I or my wife gets new one!

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

In the US I am 99% sure any public school can not require a student to have something they don't provide or is reasonably attainable. Some classes (electives) may require an I device to take them but not to go to the school unless the school pays for it.

7. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

It is a private school that started this last year but my son may have to go there when he gets to highschool, public schools around here are bad when it gets to highschool they grow racist and have to have a cop on campus at all times now cause if they don't they get called anyway.
    I just thinkin if he gets familiar with the iOS now it be easier when and if he does need it. Reason I would go with the iPhone over ipod is that he takes care of his phone but the DS and PSP get abused

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

We just moved here and most schools do have Apple based Computers and even iPads (at school)
    I noticed that almost all summer camps (in that subject) are based on Apple Programs
    I signed son up for some Garageband (most of the really cool camps were full :( )

Also I am not certain how it is in the US but in Germany they use a program for Teachers where it is controlled what can be viewed by students on the iPad so no goofing off or cheating on safari .......Did the keynote have something like that ?

9. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

IOS 6 is fixing all this I just watched the unveiling on youtube and it has app lock I can't wait for the release my daughter likes to play angry birds but she gets out and goes to all my apps makes calls and she only 2 years old.

10. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

are you certain son is the one getting the iDevice ? Looks like daughter needs it bad!

11. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

My daughter is getting an Android tablet for christmas i found one cheap and bought it. She can have a iPhone or ipad when she old enough to text lol

12. Mike_73

Mike_73 New Member

My daughter finishes elementary school this summer and then has to go to another school where she needs to use public transportation. So I want her to have a phone, just in case. She wants an iPhone for sure, but I cannot see myself handing over a device for some $600 to her. She easily drops stuff, just doesn't care about her stuff sometimes...
    The school also doesn't allow gadgets in the class room and I don't want her to play around when she's supposed to listen to teachers.
    So she'll get a basic cell phone first. As a surprise for finishing elementary school, we'll get her an iPod 4g.
    I'm sure she'll be blown away. She sometimes requests mine or the iPad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

Even basic cellphones have games and don't forget texting the new form of easy cheating lol. As technology grows schools need to lighten up on carrying of phones and do their jobs and enforce rules! Schools want it all easy breezy and guess what if teaching was easy everyone would do it. It's called a job for a reason teachers so work and earn that money u get without breaking a sweat! Or become a coach and sweat all day lol

14. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I wanted to ask a question: A bid in a other direction.
    When we moved to MD just resent, there was many middle school graduation parties and we did not quiet get it. One was in a fancy place and set up like a prom.
    I also noticed many kids having graduation cermonies for kindergarten etc.
    Now you said you got your DD a present for finishing out Elementary school. My son finished as well and will be entering middle school. But his school was a private multi grade class no such thing there. He will enter a big public school after the summer that should be interesting. Anyway my question is:
    Is this a customary thing to get rewarded for finishing Elementary School?
    I myself grew up in Germany and am a different generation. I learn everyday something I did not know or am not familiar with.

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

IMO it happens to much. You reward kids for doing what is expected of them and then when they get in the real world they look around for their rewards for just showing up to work. The newer generations are lazy an getting lazier. It's due to poor parenting.
    You took out the garbage? Good job here is ten dollars. Ummm no you took out the garbage because you are a kid and it is your contribution to the house hold.
    You made it to fourth grade? Good job here is a party. Ummm no I won't kill you because you didn't pass fourth grade. You know all your colors and numbers so you should get a party or a new toy. Ummm no be happy your kid isn't an idiot and move on.

16. Kgd0630

Kgd0630 Contributor
    Bronze

I also agree that kids are rewarded too often, and for "normal" things that should be expected. We still agree in our house that the kid doesn't get a phone until they are driving. It's not allowed in school. Or on the bus, so there is NO need for it.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

17. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

In my case it was neccissary lol my son is 8, had a phone since he was 6 because my wife does not like my x calling or texting me for any reason so the solution was add a phone line and before we came to att it cost me 75 bucks a month for his line dlone now his is only 9.99 gotta love that!
    Anyway I truly believe schools should allow kids cell phones just tell them not to use them in class. There were more than a few times my son beat us home this last year of school but lucky we live way out in the country and know our only two neighbors in seein distance. But we are going to have to move soon and might not be lycky to another good country home, in the city I couldn't be late no tellin what perv or sicko might grab him and u sure can't leave the back door open for him in the city!
    Face it cell phones are a lifeline nowadays I mean the teachers don't go without their cell phones hell most of em keep it on their desk or clipped to their side like they can't live without it. I like bein able to resch my son any time any where so I know he's ok

18. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

So every generation that made it before now without cell phones has just gone to the back burner.

Lack of parenting shouldn't be made up for by a cell phone.

19. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

I'm sorry, but how is a 8 year old gonna be able to help himself if a sicko or a Perv or whatever goes to grab him? I'm not the smartest person but I know I can outsmart an 8 year old.

20. Apple iAddicted

Bronze

Exactly why I'm glad we live way out in the boonies. My kids can play outside worry free, my son always has his phone I can call him and see where he is. Much like I grew up except I never had a cell when I was 3 to 4 miles from my house but my parents knew I knew the way home, course I was better behaved and trustworthy at 8 and carried either a 4-10 or a .22 rifle my dad had bought for me.
    I really want to avoid moving back to the city, I got 5 years to find a place the owner of this land died and it was left to a minor the executor of the estate said we are welcome to stay intil the boy comes of age but after that we have to move. Hope something comes Avalible out here it's quiet, no strangers venture out this far, and good hunting in my back yard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.