Should I get a iPhone?

DJ86

Sep 24, 2007
My girlfriend wants to buy me a iPhone for my birthday. Should I let her or not? After reading about the update problems you guys are having....well I'm not sure whether to get it now or wait and see. I wanted a iPhone since it was first announced so I don't think I can wait! :confused: What should I do?

JewelDiamond

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I'd say go for it.. It's a really cool phone, with or w/out 3pa's. The only thing is until they fix this update to work w/ ringtonemaker and ringtoner, you will have to buy your ringtones or keep your phone on 1.0.2 version. (like me) Hope this helps!

DJ86

Sep 24, 2007
Thankz! Curious...so how much do ringtones cost?

I'd say go for it.. It's a really cool phone, with or w/out 3pa's. The only thing is until they fix this update to work w/ ringtonemaker and ringtoner, you will have to buy your ringtones or keep your phone on 1.0.2 version. (like me) Hope this helps!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yes, get the iPhone.

The list of reasons why you should goes on forever. However like all products, there are cons as well as pros. Like no video recording, no MMS, etc. But on the whole, yes, buy the iPhone.

BTW, ringtones cost $0.99 a piece.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I'd get it again if it didn't have 1.1.1 on it. If a new version of AppTapp comes out I would say get it. Until then I would hold off because the "standard" iPhone loses its luster after a while and is kind of boring. With mods and 3rd party apps its an amazing device and we have seen what it can really do. Trust me, after the wow factor goes away its nothing more then a iPod with a phone and you'll find yourself saying "was this really worth it" I was about 99% sure I was going to return the phone until I installed the installer on to the phone. After that I was leaning more towards keeping it. Now that the new patch came out for it I'm prob not going to last to the end of the week with this phone.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
My girlfriend wants to buy me a iPhone for my birthday. Should I let her or not? After reading about the update problems you guys are having....well I'm not sure whether to get it now or wait and see. I wanted a iPhone since it was first announced so I don't think I can wait! :confused: What should I do?
I just got my iPhone this afternoon. I say YES. Nice girlfriend, BTW.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
What problems? The hackers have problems. Not us, plain boring folks, using the iPhone like it was meant to be and enjoying it. The update took 10 minutes and was flawless. Have a nice birthday.

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
Let Her!

Oh yes, let her get one for you..you will love it, I LOVE mine soo much, it's my toy, i am always messing with it.

B

bschizz

The list of reasons why you should goes on forever.
Actually, it doesn't. It's definitely a finite list. Now, the list of cons has gotten considerably longer in the last few days.

What problems? The hackers have problems.
You should try reading the news, or even some of the posts in this very forum. There are non-modded phones having problems after this update; some have even been "bricked." Once again, you are taking your limited personal experience and drawing some faulty conclusions.

Honestly I'd wait. Wait till some serious updates, revisions, or a 2nd gen comes out hopefully making the iPhone more robust.
Agreed. I'd wait at least until Apple's response to the recent problems is clear. Apple could respond as early as next week. That should be a hint at the direction Apple will take with the iPhone's continued evolution. Right now, I would only buy an iPhone if you are positive that you will be content with letting Apple (and only Apple) decide how you use your iPhone.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Actually, it doesn't. It's definitely a finite list. Now, the list of cons has gotten considerably longer in the last few days.

You should try reading the news, or even some of the posts in this very forum. There are non-modded phones having problems after this update; some have even been "bricked." Once again, you are taking your limited personal experience and drawing some faulty conclusions.

Agreed. I'd wait at least until Apple's response to the recent problems is clear. Apple could respond as early as next week. That should be a hint at the direction Apple will take with the iPhone's continued evolution. Right now, I would only buy an iPhone if you are positive that you will be content with letting Apple (and only Apple) decide how you use your iPhone.
Great, the iPhone non-owner is back to give his expert opinion on what he doesn't know and continue to insult me on another thread. Are you following me?

Does this describe what you're doing: "An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an online community such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response"

Note that I'm not attacking you (you already did that to me in most of your 10 posts), I'm just criticizing the posts, not the person.

B

bschizz

Great, the iPhone non-owner is back to give his expert opinion on what he doesn't know and continue to insult me on another thread. Are you following me?

Does this describe what you're doing: "An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an online community such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response"

Note that I'm not attacking you (you already did that to me in most of your 10 posts), I'm just criticizing the posts, not the person.
You *are* attacking me. You are seeking out my posts and trying to be cute about attacking me, but you're coming off as smarmy, hypocritical, and downright stupid. You aren't criticizing my post, you're criticizing me. Get that through your thick head. You're criticizing me for having an opinion. You think that since I do not own an iPhone I am not entitled to an opinion on it.

This describes you:
"elit·ism
the selectivity of the elite; especially : snobbery"

Unlike you, I'm not going to play the helpless victim. You're being a total pansy. It's quite disgusting.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
You *are* attacking me. You are seeking out my posts and trying to be cute about attacking me, but you're coming off as smarmy, hypocritical, and downright stupid. You aren't criticizing my post, you're criticizing me. Get that through your thick head. You're criticizing me for having an opinion. You think that since I do not own an iPhone I am not entitled to an opinion on it.

This describes you:
"elit·ism
the selectivity of the elite; especially : snobbery"

Unlike you, I'm not going to play the helpless victim. You're being a total pansy. It's quite disgusting.
Here we go again. I haven't tried being cute since I was 20 and that was over 4 decades ago. I'm glad I'll never have to meet you in real life. You are vile. You said SHUT THE frack UP in your 3rd or 4th post to somebody you didn't know, just because you were not agreeing with her. What kind of sick, angry individual would do that on a board about a PHONE? You have spent your first 15 posts here to insult an old lady about a PHONE, for god sake. What do you say on other forums about actual people, politics? You are frightening.
Just go get some therapy.

skiz420

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
Boston
it all depends on what you plan on using it for... surfing the net, email, and music... iPhone is perfect... if you work doing painting or construction or some type of work that its likly to get beat up maybe not... or if you are a heavy cell phone user its ok but def get a bluetooth not the greatest phone to hold between head and sholder while doing something with the hands

B

bschizz

Here we go again. I haven't tried being cute since I was 20 and that was over 4 decades ago. I'm glad I'll never have to meet you in real life. You are vile. You said SHUT THE frack UP in your 3rd or 4th post to somebody you didn't know, just because you were not agreeing with her. What kind of sick, angry individual would do that on a board about a PHONE? You have spent your first 15 posts here to insult an old lady about a PHONE, for god sake. What do you say on other forums about actual people, politics? You are frightening.
Sounds like you should listen to the advice you received. This is, after all, all about a PHONE, not about you getting all self-righteous, elitist, and over-sensitive. Calm down, take a deep breath, and THINK before you type.

You haven't made a productive post to any of the recent threads and that's getting kind of old. Rather than continuing to attack me, why don't you address the perfectly valid complaints that have been made about your oh-so-precious phone. You won't, because you can't.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I think you need to stop pulling out the age and sex card.

DJ86

Sep 24, 2007
Thank you for your replies! Well I have a treo 700p and its getting on my last nerve!:mad: I think I will make the switch cause I want a GOOD web browser and I want to watch movies. I'll still keep my treo just in case. Two questions...... 1) So how is the battery life?....2) if there was no iPhone then what other phone would you recommend?