Should I get the Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Iloveiphones, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I am wondering of you guys think I should get the Apple TV now or wait till Christmas. I will only be air playing things and YouTube and music. I don't have an iTunes match or Hulu or netflix or MLB tv accounts. Would it still be worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

2. surfer

surfer Member
    Bronze

I would recommend it completely! It makes a great entertainment hub. The benefits more than out-weigh the $99 investment.

3. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

The one thing you should know about AirPlay that I was a little disappointed to discover is that if you are air playing something on the Apple tv you need to keep your device screen on and can't use another app while playing a video on the Apple tv. So one thing you need to do is adjust the auto screen lock and turn it to "never" while you use the Apple tv. But one thing that might appeal to you if you own a Mac with mountain lion you can mirror the screen using the Apple tv so it would allow you. I don't own a Mac so I have no idea how well it works. Even with the limitations I really like the Apple tv so I can share things I watch with others on the bigger screen of my tv.

4. surfer

surfer Member
    Bronze

That's a good point to bring out Smarty. That is true and good to keep in mind.

5. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

When does the new Apple tv come out? I've been debating it also.

6. surfer

surfer Member
    Bronze

I don't think the Apple TV's come out like the other iDevices do. The latest Apple TV is the 3rd Gen, which allows for 1080P, AirPlay and other things. The cool thing with the 3rd Gen. is the mirroring.

7. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

And AirPlay and mirroring is wireless, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

8. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

yes it is
    I use it not as much as I should mostly watching rented movies I guess

9. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

You can AirPlay various videos from any iDevice but you need to have the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, or the iPad 3 in order to have mirroring is another important thing to note. The best part about AirPlay is that it is wireless because I actually bought the digital av adapter previously because I was being cheap but having to get up to change videos just when I wanted to stream various 3 minute news clips was a hassle since I had to basically sit on the floor and watch/control my iPad since I have a 6 ft hdmi cord.

10. lemoon

lemoon Member
    Bronze

I would recommend. For $99, it's worth it I think.
    Well, you can put the iPad video to TV, and stream many videos&movies to it. iTunes match or Hulu or netflix account are really easy to get :D
    Now the Apple TV is working as my family home movies centre very well