Should I get the new iPad 4, iPad mini or wait for the iPad 5?

Discussion in 'iPad mini' started by runningbear30, Dec 11, 2012.

1. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I want to get an iPad but since the 4 came out so near the 3 it makes me think the 5 will be soon also released. Should I get a iPad4 or maybe the new iPad Mini? some also tell me the Mini will be soon upgraded with a faster processor and the Retni screen like the iPad4 has. anyone care to give me some direction?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think it'll be a minimum of 6 months before any update. If it does happen, I'd say it's the iPad mini, rather than the iPad 4. The update from iPad 3 to iPad 4 was surprisingly fast. Anything is possible, but I just don't see them swing another update in 6 months.

Let's say you get an iPad 4 today and they update in June. You've still got a solid 6 months of use and it's still going to be an incredibly resourceful device. Worst case, there is the resale market. That's if for some reason you have to have an iPad 5.

3. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I have friends who are using the iPad2 and they seem to be doing well with them. But they tell me to get a 3 or 4 even if the 2 has had a price drop. I agree a person should not just keep waiting for the next upgrade, but Apple sure threw all the new iPad3 buyers into a tail spin. Don't understand their reasoning but am not going to try. I understand they are letting some exchange the 3s to the 4. Think it's only at an Apple store it was bought from.

4. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Why wait? Get either the 4 or mini now and enjoy it for the next 8-12 months before the new ones are released! :)

The only real question is which to get? The iPad 4 with retina or the mini for portability..

5. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

I have gotten a lot of input from friends who have the larger iPads but no one I know has the new Mini. I want to know about the ease of using a smaller device. I already know my phone is not really easy to do many things with it's small screen, and the price of the iPad Mini is high and it just has the same processor as the iPad2 and not the new retina screen. Maybe someone on this forum has the answers I need.

6. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

I was in a similar situation as you a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at a refurbished iPad 3, the iPad Mini and the iPad 4. I had an original iPad 2 at the time. I really wanted to get the Mini. I was fascinated by it's compact size and owning a 2, I all ready had a feel for it's power and basically knew what it could do. The Mini seemed surprisingly useable for things like email, some web surfing and book reading as I compared them in the Apple store. The smaller screen size wasn't bad but the keyboard is small if you do a lot of typing on it. It is fine for watching movies and video and of course no issue with audio.

In the end (and because I use my iPad for work and travel as well as fun) the iPad 4 won out. I needed the larger size screen to keep a level of productivity. The retina display and the faster processor beat out the size and weight savings of the Mini. The retina display is so much better that it wasn't even a choice once I saw them both in person. The only reason I started out upgrading was because I was running out of capacity on the 2. The iPad 4 is so much clearer and faster than my 2 was.

7. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I have recently had an iPad 3 and an iPad mini.. I sold the 3 and kept the mini..

The screen on the mini is really not that bad and my eyes have easily adjusted to the point where I don't really miss the retina at all anymore.

The screen is twice the size of an iPhone 5 and the mini runs iPad optimized apps..

For my needs I chose portability over the added size and weight of the iPad 3 / 4. The processor in the mini is plenty fast for my needs and the screen size is perfect. I got the LTE version because I bring the mini with me everywhere!

How will you use the new iPad? Always at home and maybe from a couch? The iPad 4 would be my choice in this instance!

Always on the go and want to the mini to tag along? The mini wins for this behavior.

It's all boils down to how you will use the iPad and what you want from a device. My mini goes everywhere with me and I have hardly even touched my iPhone 5 or my MacBook Air since I got it.

I surf the web heavily, I email a lot and I use Pages with no issues whatsoever!

Define your usage and if its a stay at home device or a go everywhere device. After that the decision becomes a little easier!

8. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

That advice pretty well sums it all up, if I just plan on using it at home then the larger iPad is what I need. If I want to replace my iPhone getting the mini with a calling plan is what is needed. So I guess now I need to make a decision.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The new ones just came out last month, so we likely have about 11 months before the next versions. The mini is awesome. I didn't use my iPad 3 very often because it was too heavy to use comfortably and too big and awkward to type on. I use the mini more often since it's lightweight and comfortable to hold. I love how it's small enough for thumb typing if you split the keyboard.

10. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

The mini won't really replace an iPhone (it has for me but more on that in a sec)..

The LTE / cellular version of the mini (or any iPad for that matter) is data only and has no cellular (phone) capabilities..

I am using my LTE mini as a stand alone tablet and phone device by using my Google Voice #.. I use the Google Voice App for texts and can make and receive calls via the Talkatone App.. For my needs it works well as I have been exclusively using my Google Voice for years (even on my iPhone).

If the iPad is going to be a stay at home device then it sounds like the iPad 4 is your best bet..

11. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

raqball you posted you hardly use you Apple Air Book. How do you get files and pictures off your mini?

12. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I use iCloud and also use Dropbox.. :)

13. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

Do you have any protection like a cover housing for your mini? I see many types and brand named devices being sold at BestBuy and on the Net.

14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

This is a very nice and well made slip case that I use! It has a neoprene liner and impact resistant plastic..

Very nice protection for the full sized iPad or the mini..

http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/slipcase-ipad.php

There are plenty of nice cases available so just check the iPad Cases and Accessories area of this forum for some nice reviews and what other people use and love! :)

15. runningbear30

runningbear30 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for the reply that case looks like just what i would need.

16. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

As stated in my other thread, I have been using an iPad mini and an iPad 3 for a little while and my iPad 3 is just collecting dust until they both go back this week to it's owner. I will be buying a iPad mini without even hesitating later on this week

17. BlueMoonlight

BlueMoonlight New Member

my ipad 3 is just collecting dust as well. highly recommend the ipad mini. i thought the non retina would bother me, too. but it doesn't at all. the screen is noticeably sharper than on my ipad 2 because the pixels are packed closer together on the smaller screen. this is really the iPad that Apple should've made initially.​

18. softspirits

softspirits New Member

Guess what I got for Christmas...I love this iPad 4, I was holding out for retina and the mini is just too awkward for my small hands. I'm happy and impressed.

Sent using iCafe app