Should I get the phone at Apple or AT&T

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I am on the DF waitlist, and I have been for 2 weeks at AT&T. I vaguely remember reading somewhere NOT to get the phone from Apple. What should I do?

They have plenty of black and whites in the local Apple store, NONE in stock at AT&T.

I think it was something to do with my corporations discount. I get 27% off the monthly plan. If thats the case, can I get the phone from Apple, and don't get the discount, can't I just call AT&T afterwards and set that up?

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I am on the DF waitlist, and I have been for 2 weeks at AT&T. I vaguely remember reading somewhere NOT to get the phone from Apple. What should I do?

They have plenty of black and whites in the local Apple store, NONE in stock at AT&T.

I think it was something to do with my corporations discount. I get 27% off the monthly plan. If thats the case, can I get the phone from Apple, and don't get the discount, can't I just call AT&T afterwards and set that up?
I know nothing about whether getting the 3G from Apple vs. AT&T affects corporate discounts. I know Apple DOES take that into consideration when you go through the buying/connection process.

Apple will always have more stock on hand/in shippment that AT&T. I got mine at an Apple Store, and I was not an AT&T customer. They were GREAT to work worth (Apple employees), and walked through both the features of the device, as well as AT&T's plans/services.

If it has been 2 weeks since you signed up for DF, I would expect that your 3G should have arrived, or will arrive any day now....What's their reason for delay? You can always cancel your DF with AT&T and go straight to Apple. I might suggest you do that if you have an Apple Store nearby that makes in convenient (like I did).

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Alright, I'm going to call them both right now and see what the deal is. I'm getting impatient lol

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus

If you can get one at Apple get it and then stop at the local AT&T and have them add your Corp discount on it. I don't like calling cause you end up with different results.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
alright, I spoke to someone at the Apple store, and to clarify things, he said the only time they cannot do it is if you are an existing customer with AT&T. Since I'm currently with Verizon, I get the phone, and can take care of the discount at home

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Usually when a DF order is made, you're given a general reference as to how long to expect until your specific order is shipped to the store. Is this what you mean by being on the wait list? Assuming you placed your order, what time frame did the store give you? Mine told me 7-10 days, and my phone arrived literally on the 10th day.
By the way, you can't get your phone activated at the Apple store unless you cancel your discount. I've heard that people are doing that, and then just having it put back on afterward. I didn't want to chance that (and I only get some dinky little discount that doesn't do anything for my rate plan, but didn't want to mess around too much). But your AT&T store ought to be giving you a time frame.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
They said 7-10 days and I ordered it on the 16th.

Today is the 28th, and no word on it yet. Order # is 70. According the the little app that tracks orders, people as far as 130 have had theirs shipped

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Why don't you go get the phone at Apple then cancel your DF? You can apply for your discount online by confirming you work for a discount-eligible company by clicking here. You give it some information, they send you an email that you confirm and your discount will be applied. Might take 1 or 2 billing cycles to show up though.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I just called AT&T to cancel the DF, and they told me that they couldn't do it over the phone, and he asked me if I had a replacement. I told him the local Apple had plenty in stock and there was no reason to go through AT&T anymore.

He proceeded to tell me that the phone is scheduled in tomorrow, they have received an order conformation. If I go to the Apple store, I'll get the phone today, for 322$, then tomorrow, when that comes in I'll be billed another 322$. I don't currently have 650$ in my bank account to blow on this stupid phone. So granted the money would be credited right back to me, I don't want my bank giving me any crap and charging me a stupid overdraft fee.

So, I'm stuck waiting another day. I'm gonna smack someone. Apple stated that they predicted demand would be this high... What the hell is the deal with not being ready to supply?

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
AT&T claims that they only get what Apple sends them, and word is Apple is not supplying the proper demand to AT&T stores. Apple, however, did a wonderful job at meeting initial demand. Now, the market needs to level off a little.

At least you know you get yours tomorrow!

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
well, its hard to know I'll get it tomorrow based on his word. The shipping status hasn't updated and so it's making me wonder if he's bullshitting me just so I don't cancel my order through them.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
keep us updated! If he B.S.ed you, I hope you have his name/contact info.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
This phone better be worth it! I wanted an original iPhone, but the girlfriend I was with was on verizon, so I stayed there in order to keep my minutes down. Well, dated her for 2 1/2 years and we broke up. I think it's time to move over to AT&T(where my current girlfriend is lol) since verizon has done nothing positive for me.

If this phone doesn't rock my sock clear into orbit, I'm gonna have a word with you guys!

j/k

sorta...

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
You want to get it from ATT.
Apple cannot handle the discounts. Not shooting them down, its just discounts on plans are to be handled by ATT only.

cfarag

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
ATT DF all the way

I might be the minority here and I dislike ATT customer service as much as the next guy. However, I did a DF for my black 16GB on 7/14 an it arrived on 7/25. That's just under two weeks. Honestly though, after visiting my Apple store day after day and seeing a 3 hour line (yes I understand all of you Apple store people may not have waited that long, but I live in downtown Chicago), I figured it would be easier for me to do a DF and walk in to pick it up. Sure enough, when it arrived I was in and out of ATT in 30 mins.

So 3 hours in line at an Apple store in hot, miserable heat or 2 weeks waiting for one to arrive and 30 mins in the store; you be the judge.

I kept my corp discount and the experience was hassle free. Funny part is last year I swore by getting my iPhone at Apple, but the in-store activation process has made this go around a nightmare. I hope Apple learns from this experience.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I got mine from an AT&T store on the 11th, but even they had a hard time getting my corporate discount applied to my account. I just told them not to worry about it and that I'd add it on there myself later, either by calling or going online. You can do that no matter where you get the phone from.

In other words, your corporate discount should not factor into your decision on which store to buy it from, especially considering you are switching to AT&T as a new customer. Get your phone from whichever store has them in stock -- more likely to be Apple -- and has more competent employees -- Apple -- then add the corporate discount later.

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
So 3 hours in line at an Apple store in hot, miserable heat or 2 weeks waiting for one to arrive and 30 mins in the store; you be the judge.

Some of us are lucky, and have our Apple stores located inside, with air conditioning!(THANK GOD)!

I had the opportunity to do DF the morning of July 11th. I originally went to an AT&T store around 9:am. I stood in line for about an hour, then left when I heard that Apple Stores still had stock. I went back to work, then went to the Apple store around 3:15 - 3:30. Was out by 5:15-5:30 (with activation time in-store only taking up 30 mins total). I found Apple was well prepared for activation process, and very knowledgeable. Again, perhaps if I had a corp. discount to deal with, i would have gone directly to AT&T, but you can take care of that AFTER getting the 3G at an Apple store I have heard.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Like I said. Need it soon? go for Apple. its a risk, but you end up with the phone sooner (maybe)
If you have patience, just wait it out for the DF. ATT is better suited for more complicated plans (ie discounts).
i say wait it out. your ensured either way to get a phone. whats the difference between waiting a week or two.

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
So, today I got the shipping conformation and I'm beginning to think AT&T are complete idiots. I seem the be the ONLY one in over 100 people in which AT&T shipped my iPhone through DHL. From what I see on AT&T bulk purchases, of some random item in quantities of 10, it's taking a minimum of 2 days. Everyone I see that ordered an iPhone is getting it through fedex which only took about 12 hours once shipped.

So, yeah, like the guy told me, it was going out yesterday. Through DHL I'm not getting it until tomorrow.