Should I heed this warning?

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
I was talking to a mac-enthusiast friend of mine via MSN, and she told me to wait on buying an iPhone. When asked why, she said that it would probably have a lot of issues with it at the first launch, just simple bugs and errors that would needed to be fixed. So, she said I should wait about a month, when I know that everything is working for sure. My problem with that is, won't the iPhone already be completely tested and running-error free before the launch? I was confident that Apple would ship out a quality product! Do you think that this advice is wise? I was definitely looking forward to getting it right on it's release date after waiting in line for hours!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I understand you have some issues with every new software or device. Service Packs and software updates wouldn't occur if this weren't the case. Ipods had to be perfected quite a bit from their initial release, so the iPhone will probably have some issues along the way.

The way I look at it, if the one I get in June needs more than software updates to solve initial problems, I'll just save up to buy the second version that comes out next summer.

itsabouttime

Silver
Feb 18, 2007
San Antonio, Tx.
I understand you have some issues with every new software or device. Service Packs and software updates wouldn't occur if this weren't the case. Ipods had to be perfected quite a bit from their initial release, so the iPhone will probably have some issues along the way.

The way I look at it, if the one I get in June needs more than software updates to solve initial problems, I'll just save up to buy the second version that comes out next summer.
That's exactly how I feel. I will buy the first release bugs and all, knowing full well that most bugs can be corrected with a software patch, and when the second version is released, I'll get that one too. (what can I say, I'm a techno geek!). ;)

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I was talking to a mac-enthusiast friend of mine via MSN, and she told me to wait on buying an iPhone. When asked why, she said that it would probably have a lot of issues with it at the first launch, just simple bugs and errors that would needed to be fixed. So, she said I should wait about a month, when I know that everything is working for sure. My problem with that is, won't the iPhone already be completely tested and running-error free before the launch? I was confident that Apple would ship out a quality product! Do you think that this advice is wise? I was definitely looking forward to getting it right on it's release date after waiting in line for hours!
I can guarantee that there will be something wrong with iPhone v1.0. Anything from a minor, patchable software glitch to a problematic hardware issue (like the infamous white fog on the new Apple AlBook screens). This is inevitable with a brand new product as complex as the iPhone. All the testing in the world can't stop the ghost in the machine. Whether or not you choose to be an early adopter all depends on how risk-averse you are. Personally, I am very risk-tolerant when it comes to cool new gadgets with a lot of potential benefit, whereas I am very risk-averse when it comes to more data-critical upgrades (you won't see me installing Leopard v10.5.0).

-K

doron

Zealot
Gold
Apr 17, 2007
tampa, FL
That's exactly how I feel. I will buy the first release bugs and all, knowing full well that most bugs can be corrected with a software patch, and when the second version is released, I'll get that one too. (what can I say, I'm a techno geek!). ;)
i co-sign...and this is my first time goin to a mac product...and when did ever know any mac products to have 'issues'

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
I can guarantee that there will be something wrong with iPhone v1.0. Anything from a minor, patchable software glitch to a problematic hardware issue (like the infamous white fog on the new Apple AlBook screens). This is inevitable with a brand new product as complex as the iPhone. All the testing in the world can't stop the ghost in the machine. Whether or not you choose to be an early adopter all depends on how risk-averse you are. Personally, I am very risk-tolerant when it comes to cool new gadgets with a lot of potential benefit, whereas I am very risk-averse when it comes to more data-critical upgrades (you won't see me installing Leopard v10.5.0).

-K
If hardware issues are present, how likely do you think it is that Apple will replace iPhones with the issue under AppleCare?

Also, your comment about Leopard surprises me. I have only had my MacBook Pro for about a month now so I don't know too much about OS X's history. Is it common for the first release of an update to have major bugs? Typically how long does it take for Apple to fix the problems and release an update? TIA.

Apr 18, 2007
If hardware issues are present, how likely do you think it is that Apple will replace iPhones with the issue under AppleCare?

Also, your comment about Leopard surprises me. I have only had my MacBook Pro for about a month now so I don't know too much about OS X's history. Is it common for the first release of an update to have major bugs? Typically how long does it take for Apple to fix the problems and release an update? TIA.
OSX came out and it was good. Very good. There have been updates, but nothing like XP or any Windows product.

Apple is by far a superior product. Can't wait for the phone.

-NYB
XP user and Apple convert.

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
This is just an educated guess, but I'd expect they'd handle iPhone hardware issues as they do with everything else: fix if they can, replace if they can't. For example, I had the white spot problem with a previous Mac laptop, and they promptly replaced the screen (free, natch). If it's a widely reported problem (like the screen) or a potentially dangerous one (like their use of the Sony burning batteries) they'll issue a repair extension or recall to include those who may be out of warranty. If not, they'll follow their standard in-/out of warranty tech support procedures.

Wikipedia actually has a decent history of Mac OS X. You'll note that the 10.x versions are always a little rocky (nothing like a worldwide beta test, right?) and are quickly superseded by a 10.x.1 update about 4-6 weeks but as soon as about 2 weeks later, once issue reports start coming in (bugs, freezes, etc.). Apps aren't immune either; there were reports of library corruption when users upgraded to iTunes 7.0 or iPhoto 6.0. The vast majority of early upgraders had no problems, but my personal philosophy is to avoid an x.0 version of anything as mission-critical as an operating system. Leopard will come out, people will complain, and I'll buy 10.5 when the 10.5.1 update is available a month later.

-K

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Thank you for the prompt responses, everyone.

That was "Part Two" of my question that I didn't post. So, you believe that if in fact there is a problem with it, I could send it back, or somehow get it fixed? And as for my risk for products, I would call myself risky. I like new stuff. Plain and simple!

Nialator

Apr 19, 2007
I think you would be prudent to wait because all 1.0 applications tend to have bugs. I guess it would depend on how badly you feel you need this phone.

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
Yeah, thanks again for all the posts. I really do want it. I am looking forward to it's release! =]

p9939068

Bronze
Apr 19, 2007
I think i'm in a deeper dilemma than this. I'm in Singapore and I've gotten a friend to ship one over from the US when it's released there in June. This means if there's anything wrong with the hardware (hopefully software problems can be patched globally), I most probably gonna have to wait till 2008 for any replacement.

But I'm still gonna get it! :laugh2:

rtaylor07

Apr 22, 2007
Interesting

As stated before, Apple has a very good company costumer relationship. They wouldn't ship a product that had major flaws. Rarely do you see Apple in the news for major recalls. Actually I can't even find a major recall from them while googling. Apple is a very good company when it comes to technical issues and costumer businesss relationships so you can expect immediate fixes to any problems you find. They also support their products all the way through unlike *Cough Iriver Cough* :mad::mad:

ahactor

Bronze
Apr 4, 2007
Hickland, OH
I think i'm in a deeper dilemma than this. I'm in Singapore and I've gotten a friend to ship one over from the US when it's released there in June. This means if there's anything wrong with the hardware (hopefully software problems can be patched globally), I most probably gonna have to wait till 2008 for any replacement.

But I'm still gonna get it! :laugh2:
No, actually we would be in the same dilemna. A broken phone in the US is the same as a broken phone in Singapore.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Once you find out how much it cost to have the battery serviced, you'll know how much AppleCare costs.

JeffBobula

Bronze
Apr 20, 2007
Madison, Wisconsin
Thank you for the prompt responses, everyone.

That was "Part Two" of my question that I didn't post. So, you believe that if in fact there is a problem with it, I could send it back, or somehow get it fixed? And as for my risk for products, I would call myself risky. I like new stuff. Plain and simple!
yeah, as long as they offer AppleCare on it, get it. I've had so many iPods go out on me that getting the AppleCare was a lifesaver. They get a box to your door DHL in a day or two, and then it gets back to them in another day or two...and about a week later you have a brand new Apple product! Great support behind (usually) great products.

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
yeah, as long as they offer AppleCare on it, get it. I've had so many iPods go out on me that getting the AppleCare was a lifesaver. They get a box to your door DHL in a day or two, and then it gets back to them in another day or two...and about a week later you have a brand new Apple product! Great support behind (usually) great products.
I think Apple Care on the iPod is $60 for two years. It would be at the most $100 on the iPhone. Well worth it, I have it on my MacBook and comes in handy.